Running Advice Please :)

Options
I have started running again after quite some time. I used to be really good at it and represented the region a few times in competitions, but then I stopped and is the biggest mistake I have ever made.
So as I said have just started again, and I used to prefer to run in the evening however my area is just a bit creepy at night now, so I have chosen the early morning run instead. I also do it at like 6am because I don't like to be about when too many other people are.

Anyways, my question is -- do I eat before I go for my run or wait until afterwards?
Just wondering about other peoples preferences and opinions, and what they think to be the best thing to do.

Thanks guys xx

Replies

• camrunner
    camrunner Posts: 363
    Options
    I think it depends a lot on what your stomach can handle, how you're trained, and what kind of run you're planning to do.

Some people (I used to be like this) get sick if they have anything in their stomach when they run, so they have to eat well in advance of their run.

You probably don't *need* to eat unless you're going to be running for a long time. There's nothing wrong with getting up in the morning and running right away, assuming you ate dinner at least.

Personally, if I were running at 6 AM I would probably not eat beforehand. But I usually run a bit later in the day and eat something small before I go, like a granola bar and a couple of cups of water. That would have made me puke a few years ago, but it doesn't bother me anymore. Just got used to it I guess.
  • MamaTop
    MamaTop Posts: 24
    Options
    I used to run at 6 am (before it started snowing!!) I found I needed something to eat before I ran .. I would have 2 slices of peanut butter toast. Just enough to put something in my tummy, nice protein kick .. and then have breakfast once I was home.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I refuse to eat before, my stomach can't take it. If I run after lunch I have to make sure I'm running where there are toilets. So I wait till after my run to eat.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    I have started running again after quite some time. I used to be really good at it and represented the region a few times in competitions, but then I stopped and is the biggest mistake I have ever made.
    So as I said have just started again, and I used to prefer to run in the evening however my area is just a bit creepy at night now, so I have chosen the early morning run instead. I also do it at like 6am because I don't like to be about when too many other people are.

Anyways, my question is -- do I eat before I go for my run or wait until afterwards?
    Just wondering about other peoples preferences and opinions, and what they think to be the best thing to do.

Thanks guys xx

Depending on how 'long' your run is..if you are doing 5-6 miles or less then I think you could get away with eating until after you have finished your run.

As I rule, I tend to not eat a thing 1.5-2 hours before a run, but getting up at 4.00am to eat wouldn't be a good solution for you!
  • abbirose13
    abbirose13 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Well as I have just started I don't run particularly far at the moment, got to get back into the swing of things.
    The thing I am afraid of is getting a stitch, because if I eat or drink something before I go for a workout during the cardio part of it I tend to get one.
    Thanks for the responses! x
  • camrunner
    camrunner Posts: 363
    Options
    Well as I have just started I don't run particularly far at the moment, got to get back into the swing of things.
    The thing I am afraid of is getting a stitch, because if I eat or drink something before I go for a workout during the cardio part of it I tend to get one.
    Thanks for the responses! x

Sounds like you shouldn't eat, then. You'll be fine. If you work your way up to runs that are long enough for it to be an issue, you can reassess at that point. Maybe you'll find that your body has adapted to it the way mine did.
  • TurtleRunnerNC
    TurtleRunnerNC Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    If i am running 3-4 miles I just eat a banana about 30 to 40 min prior to my run. Longer runs I will have a slice of wheat toast with peanut butter & 1/2 of a banana.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I think on shorter runs you can get away with not eating or eating less (but I don't recommend not eating)..... I usually have to get up fairly early to eat well before my runs. I like to eat a couple hours before I run..... and then if it's longer I'll have a small snack (like a banana or gu half an hour before I run. :)
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    You should be able to do runs of anything short of 16-18 miles without any food.
  • cburky911
    cburky911 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I would say that it depends on how far you run and your own fitness level. If 5-6 miles is an easy run, then you may want to run and hold off on eating. If 5-6 miles is a long run for you right now, then you might want to eat something light. As your fitness level starts to get back to where it used to be those things will start to change.

If I've learned anything from this site and from running sites, I've found that everyone is different and will have different routines that work for them as individuals.

For me, if I'm going on a long run I usually eat a cup of cheerios with some greek yogurt about an hour before I run. That, combined with a GU packet or two during the run, usually works for me.

For shorter training runs, I usually will eat something light about 30 min. before to give me enough energy for the run.

Experiment with different things and you'll figure out what works best for you.

Congratulations on getting back in to running. I purely love running.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    You should be able to do runs of anything short of 16-18 miles without any food.
    No.

We are not all the same. An 18-mile run takes less than 2 hours for some people, and more than 4 for others. It's absurd to assert that everyone will have the glycogen stores to fuel that amount of time on their feet--especially when eating at a deficit, which most of us on MFP are.

For me, if I'm not well fueled, I'll start flagging after about an hour--or even 45 minutes, if I'm going hard. If I eat well the night before and have a decent breakfast, I can go two hours without losing energy, but in a race situation will probably top up with a gel about 2/3 to 3/4 of the way through. But the only way to find out your own limits is experimentation.
  • leaftopia
    Options
    I'm in exactly the same position as you are. Used to do a lot of running back in my school days and loved it! Gave it up for a fair few years and now trying to get back in to the swing of things.

I have to be quite careful with food and running because I often get stitches/stomach gripes if I'm not careful. I found that it was at its worst when I'd just started out with my training. The more I do it, and the fitter I get, the less problems I seem to have.

I generally try to leave an hour either side of a run before eating anything. I usually just have something like a banana or wholemeal toast. At the moment though it doesn't matter too much because I'm not running massive distances. Keeping it around the 5K mark at the moment.
  • beckyboop712
    beckyboop712 Posts: 383 Member
    Options

I tend to disagree with this. On mornings of my shorter runs (<4 miles), I can get away with water only or a glass of milk. Anymore miles than that, I need more calories. Last summer when I was training for my half marathon, I was struggling with my long runs (between 8-11 miles) so I upped my calorie intake just a little bit before heading out. So I would consume 16 oz of milk and and a cup of dannon light and fit. Who knew an extra 80 calories would make all the difference in the world??
  • jekissa729
    Options
    I usually eat a bowl of cereal or a Clif Bar and a bottle of water about an hour before running, then have some Gatorade prime about 15 minutes before running. If I'm running more than 7 miles, I'll have a Gu or PowerBar energy gel. I almost never drink water while I'm running, which I'm not sure if the best idea. I will drink water during races though when offered at the hydration stations. If you are running a shorter run (less than 4 miles), you might not need to eat anything. Just make sure you are hydrated before you go!
  • jparks341
    jparks341 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I'm training for a half marathon, I eat before my training runs (4-6miles). I have 2 cups of oatmeal and toast before these runs. I have noticed on the longer weekend runs (10-14miles). The body needs more energy half through the run, usually around 10 mile mark. Still working on that solution, trying to see what works best for me. I do tend to drink water less before and during the runs. Afterwards I will try to drink more water and get some carbs in my body to replace the loss.
  • SaraBrown12
    SaraBrown12 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I cannot eat before i run or i get sick. Even trying to drink water mid run makes me ill. It has me mental cause i feel like i am gunna die of thirst but cannot drink cause the sloshing about makes me physically sick within a few minutes. When i first started running tho i was told to eat a banana. I tried it and it did not work for me but it might be worth a try for you :) Good luck x