Depo Vera causing weight gain

Options
I got the depo vera in place of my copper coil as i had constant problems with it but now i'm gaining. I'm eating within my calorie goal and exercising on top of it so i really do think it's the depo vera since i seem to have gained half a stone since getting it.

What should i do? as i obviously can't get it out of my system.

Thankyou :)

Replies

• paigethem
    paigethem Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi. I usually do not reply to these things, but I want to tell you that after our 4th little one I decided that Depo was a necessity bc I could nurse, but was scared about the weight gain. My dr told me that it does not make you gain weight or change the way your body metabolizes food, but increases appetite. So, I went with it and told myself I had lose weight even if my appetite increased. I lost a total of 70lbs while on Depo. Here I am again after baby number 5 and needed to loose weight and wanting to do it for good this time around. But to encourage you, it can be done with Depo. Not sure if that meshes with what your dr may have told you, but there is my 2 cents. I encourage on your goal and what a cute little guy you have!
  • demi1611
    demi1611 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi, I had the depo shot in august 2011, I gained half a stone from only one shot! about 6 weeks into it, my hair started falling out in large amounts. Im not a large person so half a stone is alot for me. Honestly, I would never have that again, I even noticed my moods were terrible on it ( and so did my husband)....I dont suffer with pms or anything mood related so it was very out of character for me...when did u have it ? Kim
  • LarDoucheLar
    LarDoucheLar Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Hi. I usually do not reply to these things, but I want to tell you that after our 4th little one I decided that Depo was a necessity bc I could nurse, but was scared about the weight gain. My dr told me that it does not make you gain weight or change the way your body metabolizes food, but increases appetite. So, I went with it and told myself I had lose weight even if my appetite increased. I lost a total of 70lbs while on Depo. Here I am again after baby number 5 and needed to loose weight and wanting to do it for good this time around. But to encourage you, it can be done with Depo. Not sure if that meshes with what your dr may have told you, but there is my 2 cents. I encourage on your goal and what a cute little guy you have!

That's very inspirational :) i don't seem to be eating more than usual but since getting my first injection i've gained half a stone so i have no idea what's going on with me. I have noticed i am alot hungrier than usual though so my appetite has definitely went up :). My doctor didn't mention anything about weight gain or side effects to me so i have no idea what to expect with it. Thanks alot and he is indeed haha :)
  • LarDoucheLar
    LarDoucheLar Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Hi, I had the depo shot in august 2011, I gained half a stone from only one shot! about 6 weeks into it, my hair started falling out in large amounts. Im not a large person so half a stone is alot for me. Honestly, I would never have that again, I even noticed my moods were terrible on it ( and so did my husband)....I dont suffer with pms or anything mood related so it was very out of character for me...when did u have it ? Kim
    I'm not very big either and this is my first injection i had it roughly a few weeks ago now. and my hair has been getting finer but my doctor told me it was due to having my son 6 months ago. I'm just so worried the weight will continue to pile on.. i'm worried about eating anything.
  • demi1611
    demi1611 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm not very big either and this is my first injection i had it roughly a few weeks ago now. and my hair has been getting finer but my doctor told me it was due to having my son 6 months ago. I'm just so worried the weight will continue to pile on.. i'm worried about eating anything.
    aww I didnt realise your babys still that young, I always have hair loss after pregnancy and its something that scares the life outta me!! Id already lost alot as my son was born in oct 2010 so Id had the hair loss from that and it had stopped. But after depo it started again :( Hope your settles down.
    As for the weight gain I really dont know wat to recommend, I wasnt eating differently but I was also hungrier like you. I did notice when I done atkins, eating very low carb you feel full all day! Honestly an omlette for brekkie will keep you full till way past lunch time, as Im eating now, its usually crumpets or cereal for breakfast and im starving 2 hrs later...
  • iecreamheadaches
    iecreamheadaches Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Its totally a side effect of the depo. I know from personal experience. I was on it for almost 2 year up until january of this year, everytime I would get my shot Id gain anywhere from 5-10 lbs without fail. My hair was constantly falling out, i was always bloated, and it really just made me feel bad overall. I told my doctor and he told me it would get better with exercise, and it didnt, so i finally told him I wanted to change, no matter what he said, so I'm on the ortho evra patch now and so far i'm doing much better. I don't gain weight as easily, no bloating feelings, and my hair doesnt fall out anymore!