Recent flight = wake up call.

Hi

I'm Gem and have been a sporadic user of MFP for about a year or so but have never posted anything. This time last year I had lost a stone, but have managed to put almost all of it back on. I've decided to get back on it now after flying this week and realising that whilst I wasn't there yet, I was only a few pounds away from requesting an extension lap belt.

I felt sick and embarrassed, luckily I was flying alone I don't think I would have coped it I'd been with someone I knew. Anyway, I'm flying out again in a couple of weeks and have decided that I can't carry on as I have been and whilst I won't lose a lot in that time, every little bit helps!

I have decided I need a hobby and that running will be for me so, today I started the 1min run/ 3 min walk plan and I managed it! I didn't feel like I was going to die, and I managed to run the whole minute - didn't expect that! I'm not fast and only did a total of 5 mins but I'm so pleased I gave it a go. I've mentioned starting running before and everyone has either advised me against it or giggled but this time I did it anyway!

Anyway onwards and upwards! Hope to speak to some of you on this mammoth journey!

Gem

Replies

• Taking the first step is the hardest and you've already done that!! You sound just like me. I havve recently realized that I have to get serious about my health. I downloaded the Couch-to-5k app and have started the process to be able to run a 5k after 9 weeks. I have never ever been a runner and I am determined to do it!! Great Job for getting started!!
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Good on you for taking the initiative on starting a better life!!!! If you really think running is for you, you should look into the Couch25K program, or C25K as it is called. It is designed to take you from beginner to runner. There are groups on here for it, you should look them up. Feel free to add me if you would like.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Awesome. Good luck changing your life.
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Onward! :flowerforyou:

I had a similar epiphany when I realized I wasn't that far of from asking for an extension myself. Plus I realized that I was not exactly fitting into the seats without my butt impinging on someone else's territory.

You can do this.
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    So glad you decided to give running a try! Definitely sounds like it's the right fit for you and you've chosen an excellent way to start!

Keep up the good work... can't wait to hear about your progress. :flowerforyou:
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Congrats on taking your first steps. I agree with the others that a C25K program is probably best as you start to become a runner. I use the Zen Labs app for my Android phone. Best wishes!
  • jjaltom
    jjaltom Posts: 2 Member
    I too was close to not being able to buckle the belt. I have flown twice now since I started losing weight and cant believe the difference after losing only 39 lbs. Flew from LA to Ohio on Friday and actually had to tighten the belt up a bit and was much more comfortable in the seat.
    Keep working at it, the results will be worth it!
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Sounds like you are really determined this time and the are lots of MFPals to support you on your journey. I can't run due to health problems but I gather running can be tough on the joints so I would have some low impact exercises in mind for if you are sore some days.

Good luck!
  • ruwise
    ruwise Posts: 265 Member
    I had exactly the same wake up call as you. I decided there was no way I was ever going to have to ask for that extension and the day after my holiday started my new healthier life. Last week I flow to Paris and having just lost 30lb's I was so much more comfortable in my seat and when I tightened my seatbelt there was about a kindle length of strap left. I was so happy with this NSV. It made me determined to continue.
  • rosemaryhon
    rosemaryhon Posts: 507 Member
    Oh I had such an embarrassing flight experience too. They sat my husband and I in the front row and we thought cool, more leg room. But those seats (obviously) don't have food trays that are attached to the seat in front of you, but rather come up from the side of your own seat (sorta like an old fashioned school desk). OMG UGH! when I went to put the tray up and it didn't fit across my tummy!!! I was soo embarrassed. I just casually put it back as IF I decided I'd just rather hold my drink tyvm :(

So I feel your pain!

Good luck :)
  • Jem0604
    Jem0604 Posts: 3 Member
    Thanks everyone, you've all been very kind and friendly. :flowerforyou:
  • cinrn68
    cinrn68 Posts: 215 Member
    Congrats on making the first step -- acknowledging that you need and want to make the change!! It's not an easy journey, but it's so worth it. I started my new way of life in January and it's been great so far! Running is a great way to lose weight and it truly becomes addictive! I started the C25K in February and I'll be running my first 5k "race" in 2 weeks. So excited!! Good luck with your journey. :)
  • VitaBailey
    VitaBailey Posts: 271 Member
    I remember realizing that if I didn't make changes that it was only a matter of time until I would need an extender. Coming here and sharing your story is a great first step in your journey. A healthy lifestyle is priceless and the rewards will be well worth it and go far beyond that airline seat.