How often do you step on the scale?

Options
2»

Replies

• dblainch
    dblainch Posts: 1
    Options
    I used to weigh everytime I went into the bathroom, that is obsessed so now I weigh every morning, nude before drinking or eating anything and write it in my montly little book that sits by the scale. To me once I write it down I don't need to worry about it again,
    I know some people only weight once in a while but in one week you could gain 5 pounds so than its alot harder to lose 5 than it is to lose 1 pound. and its not such a shook when you get on. Works for me anyway. I lost 20 pounds and everyday is a battle to keep it off. gone now for 6 years but as I get older its harder.
  • blackcloud13
    blackcloud13 Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Several times a day!
    Gets me very used to the fluctuationso (on average, there is a 6-8 lb top to bottom spread weekly).
    I only ever "record" one, though each week - the heaviest observed in the week
  • blondiebabe92
    blondiebabe92 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every Sunday and every Thursday. First thing when I wake up. The Sunday makes sure I didn't get too out of control on the weekend and Thursday is my checkup day. Since I am doing Jillian Michaels I am not overly into the number since I know I am building muscle too. The scale is a number. How your jeans fit is a great scale.
  • BleedsCoffee
    BleedsCoffee Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Once a week! While I do enjoy seeing the number on the scale drop, I remind myself that I'm just starting out and that a good bit of the weight I'm losing may be water weight. I don't want to be discouraged by little ups and downs, so weekly seems to be my best bet to ensure that I'm on track, but not obsessing!
  • jgbkab
    jgbkab Posts: 24
    Options
    Everyday. And I log it into mfp to keep track. I understand the fluctuations that happen so it's not discouraging at all to see my weight hovering or going up because that lets me know that I need to change my routine. Plus, I track my body fat as well so weight is not the only factor in my fitness goals.
  • SallyaStewart11
    SallyaStewart11 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I LOVE stepping on the scale. I do it every morning and at night. It has become a game for me. I know I weigh about 2 lbs more at night, so when I check before bedtime and I'm only 1 lb heavier, I can't wait to see if I've lost a lb by the next morning--most often I have. I've been losing steadily, about 2 lbs a week, so I enjoy it and look forward to it. It doesn't get me down if I haven't lost. Instead it helps me plan ahead and think about what I should eat and drink for the day.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Daily in the morning.
  • MsBobLoblaw
    MsBobLoblaw Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Daily, because I find the fluctuations interesting to see. I only log my weight once every week or so though.
  • Bonnieg318
    Bonnieg318 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    My weigh in day is Sunday and I will step on the scale mod week just to see how I am doing, see if I need to change any thing before the next weigh in.
  • chatterbox3110
    chatterbox3110 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Once a week, before breakfast - my weight can fluctuate daily through fluid retention so I just stick to the same day now.
  • lcfairbairn74
    lcfairbairn74 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    If you weigh yourself once a week, which is recommended, it's the most accurate way to tell if the plan you are on is working. You fluctuate so much during the day and day-to-day that weighing yourself more than this is misleading and can lead to you feeling defeated if you see an increase on the scales which will probably just be a water fluctuation.

Resist the temptation to weigh yourself more than this and good luck!
  • ronda201766
    ronda201766 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    between every 4-6 days
  • hollygoddess
    hollygoddess Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning sans clothes & breakfast from the bathroom. I don't let the number dictate my mood, however this habit keeps me accountable every day, and confirms my estimates of not enough water intake or too much sodium :-)
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Daily but. that is because I am trying to measure unconventional exercise calories burned. And even so it's still going to be a pretty rough estimate.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    It depends on the person. I started out weighing once a week. Then I bought one of those digital scales that measures weight, body fat, muscle and water percentages, so now I weigh every day to get a better idea of what my body is doing. But if a person gets obsessed with the number on the scale, its better not to weigh too often.
  • lfergurson1
    lfergurson1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    every 15 seconds which is why I dont have one! lol sorry
  • fayeonherway
    Options
    I just started to weight myself every two weeks and not around TOM. In the mean time, my mirror/measurements are providing proof that I'm shrinking.

Scale is in the same spot in the bathroom (level surface). If I move it, I re-calibrate it. I also weigh myself 3 times in a row. If the number appears 3 times, then I jot it down.