Potassium?

Options
I see that MFP tracks potassium. I'm a little curious. Is it something that you should try to get the amount stated daily, like vitamin c or is it something like sodium that you should try to not consume as much of?

Any answers on this one?

Replies

• AztecKermit
    AztecKermit Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Kidney patients have to be careful not to have too high a potassium intake. Beyond that I don't know. x
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    You want to get enough. Too much and too little are bad for your muscles, including your heart. Potassium isn't recorded on every food label, though, so as long as you're getting a variety of foods, including fruits and veggies, you're probably okay.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Potassium is an important nutrient that helps balance electrolytes and prevent muscle cramps. HOWEVER, it is not required on US nutrition labels, so it is hard to track. For example, my research has shown that Greek yogurt is high in potassium, but it isn't on the label. Since most database entries are input by users from these labels, it often isn't in the database.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    The more sodium you have the more potassium you should have to offset it. Most people should be getting more than the 3,500 mg recommendation...more like 4,500-4,700 mg daily, particularly as the SAD is overly high in sodium. When your sodium and potassium are out of whack you PH is off. If you have high blood pressure, this is a bigger deal, which is why I watch both my sodium and potassium...I try to be under 2000 mg sodium and over 4500 mg potassium daily. A lot of foods don't put potassium on the label so it doesn't show up in the database...however, many of those foods actually have potassium.
  • pineygirl
    pineygirl Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I track my potassium, but it's sort of hard to because not all food in MFP contains the potassium info, since it's not always stated on nutritional info labels.

The USDA recommends and intake 4,700mg of potassium per day. Most people don't actually eat enough potassium, and eat far too much sodium.

MFP's potassium limit is set a little low, and their sodium a little high. Since I try to eat a lower sodium diet I aim for 3,500-4,000mg of potassium a day.
  • xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I think that your potassium and sodium levels should be relatively close. Also, a lot of food labels don't include potassium, so if you decide to track it be aware that you may need to look for the information and add it manually.

I don't know much else about potassium sorry.
  • 1horsetown
    1horsetown Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I have heart palpations if my potassium is too high AND when it's too low. I take a potassium tablet a day and that seems enough to keep me at a happy medium.
  • greenfalls107
    greenfalls107 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    It depends on each individual health situation. I have crohns and due that I can dehydrate very quickly. When I am having issues with my crohns I turn to Propel (tastes better than Gatorade) and make sure I am drinking enough water. The more you exercise the more you need to make sure you are hydrating.
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Where do you see potassium at? All I see are carbs, sugar, protein, and iron.
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    I have heart palpations if my potassium is too high AND when it's too low. I take a potassium tablet a day and that seems enough to keep me at a happy medium.

This is true for everyone. Potassium deficiency is well documented.
  • Teliooo
    Teliooo Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Where do you see potassium at? All I see are carbs, sugar, protein, and iron.

Click settings and the diary settings and you can choose what to track. Or use tha app as that shows everything.
  • dwyler21
    dwyler21 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    i wish MFP would let addition items be tracked under calories. you have five slots and several options. I usually just track sugar in my head because i cant have 6 items tracked on here.

or can you?
  • dwyler21
    dwyler21 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    well i guess you can click "view full report"
  • Pamko57
    Pamko57 Posts: 182
    Options
    I've had to closely monitor my potassium most of my life. I have a slight heart murmur (benign) and a tendency to retain water. I take a diruetic daily and have for years. If I get too little potassium, I have major cramps, mostly in my legs, but I had one in my stomach yesterday.
  • kristenn1989
    kristenn1989 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    i wish MFP would let addition items be tracked under calories. you have five slots and several options. I usually just track sugar in my head because i cant have 6 items tracked on here.

or can you?

I've been checking my stuff out on the app and I can track everything that way. It;s like the report, just easier to access
  • StephhG
    StephhG Posts: 3
    Options
    Potassium is an important nutrient that helps balance electrolytes and prevent muscle cramps. HOWEVER, it is not required on US nutrition labels, so it is hard to track. For example, my research has shown that Greek yogurt is high in potassium, but it isn't on the label. Since most database entries are input by users from these labels, it often isn't in the database.

Potassium is a very important Nutrient. Every nutrient is important and plays an important role in the diet. Its important for muscle contractions, nerve impulses, lowering High Blood Pressure and fluid balance in your body. If you eat a well balanced diet, your Potassium consumption should be fine.