Not losing, gaining!

Options
I am so frustrated! I am on a 1300 calorie diet and walking. It took me a few weeks until I finally began to see weight loss, and I was so excited when I hit the 4 pound loss. Then, the next week I gained about a pound, and this week gain a bit over a pound. I am now at a 2 pound weight loss for over a month and a half.

I was not getting discouraged at first, but I am now. I have been following the diet very closely.

I read all kinds of comments to other people, like, people lose at a different rate, are you drinking water, eating fries, drinking alcohol??? I have been drinking water, not logging it though. Very rarely drink alcohol, and eating a lot of high fiber foods, veggies and fruits. I haven't been logging things like celery, green beans, and low calorie foods like that.

What I understand about weight loss is, if you eat less than you burn, you will lose weight! Why is this not happening?!

p.s. I also get enough sleep. Oh, and I just restarted 47 days ago (Feb).

Replies

• dw61574
    dw61574 Posts: 11
    Options
    You will learn from my fitness pal as you go, I've learned not to stick strictly to the calorie count. I keep my metabolism guessing. My caloric intake is 1450, sometimes I will have up to 2100 calories, maybe once a week. This gives me a reward for following my diet and believe it or not, the lbs. come off faster. You might gain a pound or two after eating the big meal, but within' the next day, instead of losing 1 pound you might lose up to 4. My weight goes up and down also but, ultimately it is going down. But then again I weigh myself everyday. The best thing I've added to my diet has been Chia Seeds. They are inexpensive, full of energy and omega 3. I have told all my friends about Chia Seeds and they all love them too.
  • babyblooz
    babyblooz Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Open your food diary so we can see what's going on! :flowerforyou:
  • sio7of7
    sio7of7 Posts: 1
    Options
    Eat a little something every three hours...visualize palm/fist servings - but more often than regular/conventional meal times. Don't try to do it ALL at once. Get the eating habit right, then the exercise (if you want).

My basic previous diet that I was successful on in 2009 was simple: drink your water, eat your oatmeal, no fried foods, eat unlimited crudities, eat more often, mammals are a side dish (choose something else), palm/fist your portions, move.

This last summer I encountered the same emotional issues that made me gain in 2009, I just haven't cared or been motivated to do anything about it. Be nice to yourself. In your time management do something for yourself EVERY day that does not involve food. Identify your stressors (limit five) and work on one at a time. It's never easy. Break down your goals to REALISTIC and non threatening marks - I only do 5 lb goals ... and I must plateau at that mark for a full week, before I see another mark.

BTW never heard of Chia Seeds.....my "lift" at work is a handful of almonds if I need something between meals, and B12 Complex in the morning is a must. (I don't take multi vitamins.... Work is my stressor, I do well on the weekends.

I just seriously started this week - my daughter has lost 40+ with MyFitnessPal as her buddy - I figured something was working - at least making her aware of herself, so I may as well focus too. And this definitely helps me focus on ME.

What is "the diet" you are following so closely? Sometimes that is my stressor. I prefer not to count or measure and keep it simple. This helps with the counting part.
  • kalyse
    kalyse Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    it could be muscle gain - dont use the scale to measure progress - take measurements and feel how your clothes fit
  • RieBerg
    RieBerg Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I don't know. Me too. I don't get it, people are telling me to eat more. It doesn't mae sense. I am equally frusterated as the same thing is happening to me.
  • JRSchumaker
    JRSchumaker Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Water weight can fluctuate several pounds easily, for instance. My biggest recommendation is that you log absolutely EVERYTHING, including your celery, just to truly get into the habit of logging and so you can see if there are any trends regarding what you eat and when you gain or lose. If you aren't logging your veggies, it can be really easy to brush off logging a few pretzels, a little dip, etc. It could be sodium, it could be hormones, it could be that you're eating more than you think. You won't know unless you log everything.

Also, I totally agree with measuring! If you put on a few pounds of muscle that's good news. It isn't encouraging on the scale, but it sure is on the measuring tape.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    count all your calories.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    My guess is that you're underestimating your consumption. I recommend logging all of your food. I also recommend weighing and measuring rather than eyeballing. I eat a lot of low calorie foods...on average, I have at least 10 items a day that are fewer than 30 calories...but those items add up to about 250 calories per day. I only have a 250 calorie deficit in my diet to lose 1/2 Lb per week...if I didn't log those items because they were low calorie, I would completely wipe out the deficit in my diet and would be at maintenance.

Also, if you aren't weighing and measuring you are inviting further calorie creep into your diet. Calorie creep can absolutely destroy your diet.
  • harleenarang
    harleenarang Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Same thing happening to me too. Am drinking a lot of water - measuring it all so up to 10 glasses of water a day. Working out better and eating decent (but always under my calorie goal - 1500). I was losing weight when i was not drinking half of the water. As soon as I upped my water intake - I didn't see any pound lost in the 1st week and now 1.5 pounds gained in the 2nd week.

Whats happening ?????????????? I am interested to see comments in this thread. Also my diary is open for suggestions - please excuse yesterday - it was a bad day and I know it very well.
  • jadams1650
    jadams1650 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    The only way to insure you accelerate the process is to log everything...increase exercise intensity, increase exercise duration. Walk faster, walk longer, log every morsel that you eat...consider strength training. Weigh yourself as little as possible. Stay with the process and you will lose weight. Accelerate the process and you will lose weight faster. Nobody can violate the rules of physics and physiology. Calories in / calories out will get you there, but you must be determined, persistent, and patient.
  • kalyse
    kalyse Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Same thing happening to me too. Am drinking a lot of water - measuring it all so up to 10 glasses of water a day. Working out better and eating decent (but always under my calorie goal - 1500). I was losing weight when i was not drinking half of the water. As soon as I upped my water intake - I didn't see any pound lost in the 1st week and now 1.5 pounds gained in the 2nd week.

Whats happening ?????????????? I am interested to see comments in this thread. Also my diary is open for suggestions - please excuse yesterday - it was a bad day and I know it very well.

try to eat cleaner - as in whole foods that aren't processed. those lean cuisines are horrible for you. choose a lean protein, a complex carb and veggies every 2.5-3 hours (message me if you want a list of foods or more info) - i also see that you haven't tracked any workouts for a few days? water intake will affect you fat percentage, it could be 1%-2% lower with adequate water intake even if you weight a little more. dont listen to the scale!! - muscle tissues takes less space then fat - best way to track progress is measurements, how your clothes are fitting and before and after pictures
  • amyljl77
    amyljl77 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    My advice would be:

1. log every bite. Even low calorie stuff can add up to 200 calories or more throughout the course of the day. Over the week that's 1400 calores!...and can actually make a difference on the scale.

2. Up your exercise. It's very hard for me to lose weight (even when I'm only eating 1200 calories a day) if I don't work out. I mean break a sweat. Start lifting weights. You might hover around the same weight for a while but then suddenly you notice a drop in weight.

3. DON'T give up! I had a whole month where I plateaued and then suddenly lost 5 lbs in two weeks. If you keep it up you WILL lose weight, even if it's slowly it's worth it!
  • amyljl77
    amyljl77 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I forgot to add that I don't think 4 lbs for 47 days is all that bad! That's almost a lb a week. I agree with the other poster that you probably gained a couple lbs of muscle. Don't be discouraged and think long term. Even if you do exactly what you're doing in another month you will have lost 8 lbs....in another month, 12 lbs.....etc.
  • Sunshine2plus2
    Sunshine2plus2 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I have been having 1390, I try and eat back half of my calories. I have lost 23 pds in 7 weeks. You can look at my diary of you like and friend me! If you are eating right and exercising thats all that is important! Give it time it will happen of you want it! Good luck!
  • IIISpartacusIII
    IIISpartacusIII Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I am so frustrated! I am on a 1300 calorie diet and walking. It took me a few weeks until I finally began to see weight loss, and I was so excited when I hit the 4 pound loss. Then, the next week I gained about a pound, and this week gain a bit over a pound. I am now at a 2 pound weight loss for over a month and a half.

I was not getting discouraged at first, but I am now. I have been following the diet very closely.

I read all kinds of comments to other people, like, people lose at a different rate, are you drinking water, eating fries, drinking alcohol??? I have been drinking water, not logging it though. Very rarely drink alcohol, and eating a lot of high fiber foods, veggies and fruits. I haven't been logging things like celery, green beans, and low calorie foods like that.

What I understand about weight loss is, if you eat less than you burn, you will lose weight! Why is this not happening?!

p.s. I also get enough sleep. Oh, and I just restarted 47 days ago (Feb).

Log everything as already mentioned because yes everything "counts". Don't spend hours in front of a computer or TV and for the love of all you hold dear do NOT quit and "restart", it means you quit, it means you've thrown in the towel, it means you've given up hope. Stay the course, admit that you've made a few mistakes and embrace them, own them and remember them the next time you find yourself choosing to make another.

Losing weight and more importantly keeping it off is not about something you do for a while until it's finally over with, it's about choosing to live your life differently.

Allow me to suggest a book for you and anyone interested in "sticking to it". 'The Willpower Instinct' by Karen McGonigal : How Self-Control Works, Why It Matters, and What You Can Do To Get More of It. Keep in mind that this is not "the" book, the magic book that finally does it for you, but it can be a tool that will help you through your journey in weight loss and anything else that you're trying to get done.
  • sjcorp
    sjcorp Posts: 7
    Options
    I quit because I had cancer. I had surgery to remove it, and was told not to eat much fiber. That stopped my dieting for a while. It has been almost a year, so I started back up. I don't plan on quitting again. I am just frustrated, and already getting over it.

Thanks.
  • bookyeti
    bookyeti Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    "...the scale can only give you a numerical reflection of your relationship with gravity. That’s it. It cannot measure beauty, talent, purpose, life force, possibility, strength, or love. Don’t give the scale more power than it has earned. Take note of the number, then get off the scale and live your life.” ―Steve Maraboli

The scale is only ONE small factor, and it's really not a great way to gauge all the good you are accomplishing. Are you feeling better? Have more energy and endurance, after those walks and eating healthy? How are your clothes fitting? Forget the scale for a while. Keep at it. Make it a habit. Trust in the process. Remember that you're exercising and eating right for your health and your body... the numbers will fall into place when the time is right.

Best piece of advice I've ever been given on MFP is to take measurements and *regular* progress pics -- those visible results mean SO much more than the fickle numbers on the scale ever could!
  • sjcorp
    Options
    Celery calories = 0, green bean calories = 0. If I have 3 almonds, I enter the calories. I know I am doing great in logging, and I don't "nibble" on caloric foods without counting them.

I think I will just increase my caloreis to 1500 per day for a week, and then go back to 1300.

Thank you for your help.
  • MiniJudy
    MiniJudy Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate to your frustration. Quick question: How are your clothes fitting you? You may possibly be replacing fat with muscle. Keep on the program, weigh yourself only once a week (or even every other week). Pay more attention to your energy level and the fit of your clothing. The needle on the scale may not move, but you may find you can step out of your jeans without unzipping them ... woo hoo!
  • sjcorp
    Options
    You are so right! Thank you!:smile: