Finding the time to exercise

Options
Anyone else with kids find it really hard to find the time to exercise. My youngest 2 are 3yrs and 18mths, so always around me. Although I go to the gym at least 5 days a week I cant go till late evening when littlies are in bed and the rest have been fed and sorted, (homework, housework, etc.), so I don't get home till 10pm. If I don't go to the gym it's impossible to exercise at home, I try to do some on the wii fit, but I end up banging into the littlies cos they don't sit still. Same goes with workout dvds, not practical until they are settled in bed, so I don't have the time to myself until about 8.30pm, by which time I've lost the motivation cos it's late. Oh, and as soon as I get the wii fit board out, the older ones decide they want to play on the wii. Summer is ok as mine and hubbies bikes have toddler seats on the back so we do lots of cycling, but it's britain and we don't get much summer,lol.

Replies

• BumbleB5
    BumbleB5 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Just sent you a friend request! :) I am a mom of 3, and have a difficult time fitting in exercise as well. I am more of a morning person, so my best chance of exercising is if I get up really early (while everyone else is still in bed). By the end of the day (after homework, cooking, cleaning, ...), I have a really hard time finding the motivation to exercise. I am trying to find ways to fit exercise in more during the day with the kids.
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I find early mornings work best for me (my husband leaves for work at 7, so I'm at the gym for 5am when they open). I have a 5 & 4 year old and work a full time job (out of the house 10 hours a day).

I initially tried to do the evening work outs after the kiddos were in bed but it was becoming too exhausting to keep up with. This seems to be working and I'm home before everyone wakes up.
  • canadian_bacon
    Options
    I don't have kids but I have a busy schedule.. I try to fit in little bits here and there. I got a HRM so I try to jog while doing chores around the house or throw in some jumping jacks. Maybe you could try to involve your older kids in your excersize too. Or do it in the morning like someone else suggested.
  • JessiBelleW
    JessiBelleW Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Pick a time in the mid-afternoon when the 18month old sleeps and tell the 3 year old its quiet time for 35minutes (setting a timer can help with this) and that she has to stay quietly in her room for 30m (she can read, listen to a talking book, play by herself ect). use this time to fit in a quick workout! (you may have to build up to 30m)

Is there any reason why you can't cook tea and then trade with your partner 3 nights a week? He does tea, homework, bath and bed routine and you kiss the little ones goodnight when you get back and finish off/ sort the big ones?

Edit: spelling
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Here's some tough love:

Stop making excuses and start making time to exercise. No one said it was going to be easy. That's life.
  • tpittsley77
    tpittsley77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I have a 4 year old and a 17 month old. I work full time. My oldest is in sports two days a week. I am currently training for a triathlon. I want to add in circuit training to my routine, so I will be getting up at 3:30 am, to do that prior to work. Its all about priorities and wanting to do it.
  • AmyMgetsfit
    AmyMgetsfit Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    When my kids were little I used to complain about feeling like a single parent because my husband worked the swing shift and was never around in the evenings except on his days off. But it did allow me time to exercise in the mornings before he went to work. I am a morning person and would not have had the same energy in the evening after dinner if he had worked days.
  • karenmi
    karenmi Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Something to keep in mind that what you do the other 23 hours of the day is more important than the one hour you spend at the gym.

If you can't make it to the gym then be active at home - play with your kids, go for walks with them, etc. Just move as much as you can. Even doing housework and gardening will help keep you limber.
  • sidney216odo
    sidney216odo Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am going through the same thing. I am on the go from early in the morning till late at night, with the kids. Getting everyone up and where they have to go. I am having a really hard time fitting in the exercise. Somone told me to get up earlier, I already get up at 5:30, lol. :laugh:
  • lheyens
    lheyens Posts: 62
    Options
    For me I only have one son, who is 12 months, but It is also just me at home! I dont even get to go to the gym. it takes self discipline, for me the gym is a sanctuary my me time, my happy place. I can turn up my music, and sprint around the track, than go lift something heavy and feel satisfied. Im an odd one and at times have been known to talk to myself at the gym.. giving me pep talks.. hahaha but its not about finding time, its making time! I could be studying or cleaning or making food. which are all important. If you want it bad enough you will get there.
    Basically get up and do it. go to the gym even if your exhausted, invest in a pre workout energizer or something with caffeine. and spend time in the gym, lift heavy weights learn new things, get excited about it and switch up your routine. :)
    Believe me I know busy, running a household, raising a kid, working, and going to school. you can do it mama!! :)
  • maegmez
    maegmez Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I agree with the poster about stop making excuses. I have 4 children and although 2 are in school all day, I have 1 at home yet and the other in preschool. I do whatever I can to get an hour in 6 days a week.

You could get up an hour before your husband leaves for work.

You probably have a double or triple buggy, use it and if needed, a carrier for your youngest.

I live in east mids so I know the weather here. I bundle my kids up and put the rain cover on and they are snuggly warm.

As it stands, you have a great hour or so in the evening ALL to yourself! Enjoy it exercising. You're out there doing it, just go with the flow and get creative.

I got a running buggy and run to the shops, load up my buggy and a back pack and run back!

I gave up the house workouts, lol
  • traceytwink
    traceytwink Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I'm a child minder with lots of kiddies around as well as two of my own, it's difficult to fit around children, I'm lucky no that my two are at an age now where I can do things, I do most of my exercise in the house or run / cycle outside and do two exercise classes one of which my oldest joins me at, as for house work well that suffers a bit but I think it's more important that your children see you exercising than cleaning after all your house isn't going to get over weight ( I do clean btw before someone says eeewwww????)
  • WillieMN
    WillieMN Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    This has been my struggle this past season. Last year I was diligent on getting up really early before waking up the family and getting ready for work. I'd beat myself up about it but these past months with an injury and too sore in the morning to train, I've used my lunch hour. I focus on quality workouts and make the best use of my hour and rewarding what I can do. Focus on what you can do and make the best of it.

When I can I take my daughter out for a walk or a bike ride. She even has an ABC yoga book that we do together. It may not be high calories burns but it's a positive way to encourage an active life style.
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I'm mum to 5 children who are 9,6,5,3 and 12 months.

It can be very hard to find the time to exercise but I can usually manage to find a quieter time or exercise around them.

I have dance games for the xbox and they can join in with me when I'm doing that if they want and recently I've been playing workout DVDs on my computer when the kids are beginning to get tired so that they can sit and watch the telly while I exercise. Yes the baby tries to 'help' when I'm doing floor work but I either just move him off or let him climb over me and make my workout a little more challenging.

If I can get the baby down for a nap, I send the others upstairs to play for a bit so that I can do my thing.

Its not easy but if you want it bad enough you'll find a way. Personally I would stick with the late night gym as that is such a cool luxury that I would love to have the option of.
  • alisonjayne1989
    alisonjayne1989 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You should try Jillian Michaels 30 day shred. Its 20 minutes of exercise a day. Its hard work for the 20 minutes but it will be easier to fit into you lifestyle and its very effective. Im on day 12 of the shred and already seeing results. Good luck