Has anybody tried The Fast Metabolism Diet?

Options
Has anybody tried The Fast Metabolism Diet? I saw a story on Good Morning America on Friday morning (4/12) about this. It was, of course, accompanied by a book promotion by Haylie Pomroy, called The Fast Metabolism Diet. I'm curious to know if this is something that has worked for people that have been stuck after losing a lot of weight already. It boasts you can lose 20 pounds in 4 weeks... Well that's easy for committed new dieters that are truly overweight or obese, so I take this claim with a grain of salt... But I am about 20-30 pounds from my goal and have been stuck for about a year. I'm not unhappy with my current weight but its much easier to revert back to old habits when your workouts and good food choices are no longer making the scale move.

Replies

• Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't … anything called "The ____ Diet" is probably good to avoid. I've been stuck for a year, too, about 10-15 lbs from goal. But this is where it is most important to build good habits (that's my downfall! :laugh:). If you use some fancy/fad/eat-this-for-the-magic-solution diet to take them off, they'll come right back when you stop.

Losing weight is about eating at a calorie deficit. You can either decrease what you take in or increase what you use. I think I'd rather go for the second. You may want to check out the Eat More to Weigh Less group and see if that helps. Or take a look at your exercise routine for where you can change it up. If you don't lift, I'd add weights at least a few times a week. Or even your daily habits - there's things that we can all change to increase our metabolism a bit (the amount of calories used on a day-to-day basis). It doesn't take a fancy diet and special foods (or restrictions) to do that.

On a side note, I wish the "news shows" would stop promoting things like this. Can we say free advertising for the author….
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure exactly what that diet it, but I fast every day. I don't look at it as a diet but a lifestyle change. I love this way of eating, and it's working. I start and stop this but I find when I start it up again after stalling out it works to kick me back in gear.
  • sharpdagger
    sharpdagger Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Change up your routine. Try something like "Insanity" to get you excited again. There are online deals for less than $50.
  • OriginalRedfishMan
    Options
    I have just finished reading the first few chapters of the book. Some of what is being said seems to make sense, but I am a bit skeptical at this point. The premise is that not all calories are created equal because what matters is what you body is going to do with the food: store it or use it. I like some of the tips about boosting metabolism (e.g. give up caffeine, but if you can't - never drink it on an empty stomach, or always eat something within 30 minutes of waking up and continue eating something if you stay up late, and you must eat 5 mini meals or something every 2-3 hours while awake). It reminded me of the P90X idea of "muscle confusion" and this is a way to get your metabolism back to normal from being shut down in starvation mode. The Fast Metabolism diet is low glycemic in phases. I just broke a month plateau by reducing carbs for a week, and like the idea of jump-starting my metabolism. I believe that I was in starvation mode because I was too aggressive on exercise without enough calories. I actually seem to lose more weight with walking as opposed to running and that has me intrigued with metabolism. I have learned from the book, but am not ready to start it just yet. If I hit another plateau, I will consider it.
  • tiffanigray0609
    tiffanigray0609 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I was actually stuck, the gym and dieting was not working I broke down and bought the book after seeing it on Good Morning America. I am close to the end of my second week with 8lbs down. It does NOT feel like a diet, she cuts out things that are not good for you, it makes you eat clean and healthy, you still eat carbs, veggies, fruits and meat. I had to cut out refined sugar and caffeine and it was horrible the first few days with the withdrawals but she recommends Feverfew (herbal supplement) and it worked wonders, I have been almost 2 weeks with out it, not only have I lost 8 lbs but I feel amazing and my husband tells me I look so much happier. I was struggling losing weight after gaining it from birth control. I recommend it, it takes dedication and self-disipline.