What do you do with protein powder?

Options
Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
Ok I'm curious. How do you use it? All I see on the box usually is 'mix with water or milk', that seems pretty limited. I've been wanting to buy some but I'm afraid it would sit in the pantry for months. I'd use it in oatmeal to add some protein but do you just add it after it's cooked? Does that even taste good?

Replies

• LarryD2012
    Options
    I add it to my Fage 2% Plain Greek Yogurt.
  • kimbux
    kimbux Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Vanilla Protein Powder - in a blender, add a cup of frozen berries (strawberries, blueberries, etc), protein powder, and almond milk.... you can also add a handful of fresh spinach for fiber (you wont' taste it).

Chocolate Protein Powder - in a blender, add about 5 ice cubes, PB2 (or straight peanut butter), protein powder, and almond milk.

Good Luck!
  • MacSkillz
    MacSkillz Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I make shakes with mine. I usually buy some frozen fruit (fav. is strawberries) and either almond milk or coconut milk. I usually but together 1 cup of frozen strawberries, 1 cup of either almond or coconut milk, and 1 scoop of protein powder, put in a blender and mix til smooth.
  • katythemommy
    katythemommy Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I use protein powder in my smoothies, mix it in my cereal in the morning and make protein bars with it. That's about it, but I do use it daily.

They all taste very differently so it's really a personal preference. I use Biochem 100% Whey Protein Vanilla which I think is good.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I make a paste with it and use it as a facial cleansing mask.
  • MavenMassage505
    Options
    Add egg whites and mix it up to make protein pancakes. They are pretty tasty when you're on a hardcore diet.
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I have protein powder with my porridge (oatmeal). I blend the powder with milk/water, and then add to the oats. This way you should get no lumps. I use 3 quarters of a scoop with 50g oats.

I made protein brownies today, but they are a bit bready but taste ok with peanut butter :laugh:
  • TammyLynne71
    TammyLynne71 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    http://www.proteinpow.com/
    Their site is everything protein powder and lots of recipes!
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I have lots of different protein powders that I use in different ways:

1. Flavoured whey proteins: I use these in shakes and home-made protein muffins and add them to oats (post-cooking), coffee and yoghurt.
    2. Soy protein isolate: I add it to shakes 1:1 with flavoured whey (I find them too sweet on their own) and very occasionally use it instead of flour in meatballs for that extra little protein hit.
    3. Pea protein isolate: Add to vegetable soups for a quick, filling lunch and I use it in protein truffles. :-)
  • mel3491
    mel3491 Posts: 31
    Options
    Hi! I actually started using a protein powder after reading the book The Obesity Cure. It said if you concentrate on specific amino acids you will have a bevy of benefits now, during and after weight loss. I went to a vitamin store with the list and tried MRM Whey which is super low calories, sugar and carbs (sweetened with stevia) and a yummy rich vanilla taste. I just add it to water (because I was trying to watch my carbs and sugars) but have recently added back in soy milk which makes the shake even better and more filling. It's a great idea to sprinkle it on oatmeal! It is overwhelming because there are soo many protein shakes out there- I feel like you just have to try a few and find what works for you. Also, I tried Body by Vi which is delicious and comparable in cals, sugars etc. but more expensive and you have to order on line which makes it more inconvenient. Good luck on your journey!
  • Lifting_Knitter
    Options
    Scoop of Banana protein powder, 4 oz of milk and 1/4 package sugar free cheesecake pudding....banana cheesecake pudding. It takes a lot longer to set but it is delicious.
  • rosemaryhon
    rosemaryhon Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I'm new here, been reading a few food diarys, and wonder why some use protein powder? Is it for nutrients or meal suppliment? I'm curious to try, but not sure the *why*.

Thanks for any info :)
  • Francl27
    Options
    Why you want it, you have been fine without it...

Just to add some protein to my breakfast when I have oatmeal really. I'm just kinda reluctant to spend so much money on something I'll use once a week or something.
  • Francl27
    Options
    Don't like eating straight carbs without proteins. I guess I could make the oatmeal with milk instead of water...
  • lafochs
    lafochs Posts: 21
    Options
    I recently found a website that sells one serving samples of various protein powders. I didn't want to buy a whole bunch without knowing if it would taste terrible or not. I'm probably overpaying, but it seemed worth it to me to try a few out first. I've added it to greek yogurt, which was good. Even better, making milkshakes with frozen bananas, almond milk and protein powder. Delicious treat that tricks you into thinking you are eating a real milkshake and it fills you up!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Don't like eating straight carbs without proteins. I guess I could make the oatmeal with milk instead of water...

Or eat a hard boiled egg with it. Or bacon. Or sausage. Or a greek yogurt. Or a Tbsp. of peanut butter in your oatmeal.
  • tinypastels
    tinypastels Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    make pancakes!!!

1 scoop brown rice protein
    1 tbsp flax seed
    1 tbsp quick oats
    2 tbsp egg whites
    1/4 banana, mashed
    stevia
    cinnamon

fry with coconut oil spray! i personally eat them as finger food, but you can use pure maple syrup or agave nectar if you like :-]

ALSO! the original recipe is doubled this
  • JustineMarie21
    JustineMarie21 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Add it to smoothies, oatmeal, pudding, fluff, baking, etc. Today I am going to try to make pumpkin spice protein donuts.