Healthy but good tuna salad

Options
My mom makes the absolute best tuna salad I have ever tasted but there's no way it's healthy after all the things she adds.

I need a delicious tuna salad that's a little healthier at least, lol. Yet still tastes great!

My moms has tuna, eggs, tons of mayonaise, relish, i think she adds a little sugar too and seasonings of course. The mayonaise is what makes it but it's the most fattening. What's an alternative?

Replies

• trixiemou
    trixiemou Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    You could try greek yoghurt or any other natural yoghurt.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Lots of good alternatives to mayo you could try - greek yoghurt, or similar things like quark or fromage frais, though these are easier to come by in some parts of the world than in others. Salsa is lovely stirred through tuna, or use a ripe avocado. This will still be high in calories, but is really good for you.
  • charovnitza
    charovnitza Posts: 689
    Options
    My mom makes the absolute best tuna salad I have ever tasted but there's no way it's healthy after all the things she adds.

I need a delicious tuna salad that's a little healthier at least, lol. Yet still tastes great!

My moms has tuna, eggs, tons of mayonaise, relish, i think she adds a little sugar too and seasonings of course. The mayonaise is what makes it but it's the most fattening. What's an alternative?

Well, if you dropped the relish and sugar, you'd have a good low carb meal. I've lost 27 pounds eating foods like that. Protein in the tuna and egg, fat in the mayo: satiates hunger and you feel full longer. I guess that wasn't the answer you're looking for, sorry.
  • bbygirlx
    bbygirlx Posts: 12
    Options

Well, if you dropped the relish and sugar, you'd have a good low carb meal. I've lost 27 pounds eating foods like that. Protein in the tuna and egg, fat in the mayo: satiates hunger and you feel full longer. I guess that wasn't the answer you're looking for, sorry.

No, i like that answer :) Plus i don't care too much for relish and sugar. But i love the mayonaise and mayonaise is a big weight gainer, lol.
  • bbygirlx
    bbygirlx Posts: 12
    Options
    Thanks guys :)
  • CNYGAL
    CNYGAL Posts: 5
    Options
    I mix a little balsamic vinegrette with the drained tuna plus herbs of choice. Easy, low cal, low fat. Nice alternative to creamy tuna salad.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt with some mustard, and/or avocado. Thanks for giving me an idea for lunch, lol.
  • grits317
    grits317 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I love making tuna salad but using laughing cow cheese instead of mayo.
  • tanashai
    tanashai Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I found a good recipe for tuna salad that is under 300 cal per serving. It has tuna, a bit of mayo, pepper, sea salt (I skipped it myself, but it's in the recipe) spinach, apple, and green onion (and cranberries, but no one in my house likes dried cranberries so I didn't add them). I can send you the recipe if you like :)
  • vbrent07
    vbrent07 Posts: 115
    Options
    I have to have mayo with my tuna salad but I use that light olive oil mayo (only about a TBS though) and add onion and celery
  • phoenix7039
    Options
    I use a little miracle whip light. But not everybody likes Miracle whip. My fiancee can't have any dairy so I used a salad dressing I made using coconut milk (or non-dairy cream such as Silk brand), silken tofu, and seasoning and . He really enjoyed it.
  • 333loves
    333loves Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I just made my husband a tuna sandwich. One can of tuna and a 100 cal pkt of guacamole. Mix it up and put it in a salad, wrap or bun with pickles! Mmmm...now I might make myself one.
  • Zobby85
    Zobby85 Posts: 4
    Options
    I mix my tuna with hummus (any kind) it tastes just like regular tuna salad!
  • GoRun2
    GoRun2 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Try it with spicy brown mustard and a bit of yogurt
  • 333loves
    333loves Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Never thought of that one. I'll give it a try!