Gym Motivation

Options
Hey yall :)

I've been going back and forth on this decision. I want to join this gym that is downtown and is designed specifically for women. I went there about 2 years ago and I loved the atmosphere, but the issue was that I just could NOT motivate myself to go. It was always 'too far' or 'takes too long to get there' (I don't drive so I take the bus everywhere). So basically, I was giving about $50 to this gym as charity. That pretty much shows you how severely I lack in motivating myself; losing $50 a month couldn't get me off my butt (and I'm a poor student)!

Now, I'm working full-time, so I would probably be going at 6-7AM before work. But the issue is: can I get myself to wake up that early an actually go?? I have even less money now than before, so I really can't afford to waste the $50, but at the same time, I've had the pattern that I tell myself I'm going to do these things and I spend the money and then when it comes time to do them... bust. I have the diet thing down, that's easy, but getting myself to wake up earlier than I absolutely have to (work) and do something I really don't find all that fun is something I've never been able to master.

Has anyone found a way to beat the crippling laziness??

Replies

• leahartmann
    leahartmann Posts: 415
    Options
    I´m sorry, there is no easy way. It´s just to get up and go!

It´s about getting to bed early and plan your day accordingly. It´s hard to get up, I´m sure, but you will feel so good afterwards. Really good. And how far is too far? I walk to the gym, it takes me about 20 minutes.

If you don´t want to waste money if you don´t go (but ofcourse you do! You have already proven to be strong by being here.) maybe you can pay for one month at a time? Is that possible?

Don´t tell yourself that you probably won´t go. Keep telling yourself that OFCOURSE you´ll go. Reward yourself afterwards if you have to. But don´t give up. You will eventually love it, if you find that exercise that you think is fun. (I just started to lift last week, I love it- never would have thought so.) :smile:
  • LeahT84
    LeahT84 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    The hardest part is putting on your shoes and walking out your door. Even on the days that I don't want to get up and go, I get up and grab some form of caffeine, put on my workout clothes (then I'm one step closer) and I think about the way my life was BEFORE I started this journey. I look at it this way: I have 2 choices to choose from, 1) I can go to the gym and workout for 30-60 minutes and get it out of the way, or, 2) I can sit on my big ol' behind and watch TV while I mentally beat myself up for being so fat and lazy. Option 1 is going to make me feel a lot better about myself than option 2, so I choose to be active instead of lethargic. Once my workout is done for the day, I have more energy to get other things down throughout the day. :) It's all about choices and deciding what will be the best for you in the long run. You have to give yourself a pep talk. You either want to change or you don't.
  • stephaniemejia1671
    stephaniemejia1671 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue. I was giving my gym their membership every month and I also wouldn't go. I would go for a week then be MIA for months at a time. What helped me was making a plan. How many days do I want to workout?what body parts to work on?what day?It helped me a lot. Sometimes(I think) if you don't have a plan then you have nothing to look forward to.. Sit down make a plan, write it down then get to it!
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I have found the best thing is

1. go in head first - I am for 6 sessions a week
    2. get a heart rate monitor - makes it more rewarding
    3. think of the extra, yummy food you can have after!

that's what's helping me this time around. Time for week 2 as of tomorrow!

I feel great after exercising, have more energy rather than less and I'm going 6 days a week.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I always make sure my gym is with in one mile of my house, because then I do not have the excuse of "It is too far". That being said, you have to make yourself go sometimes, especially in the first few months. You have to form the habit, and that won't happen in only a week.
  • jeanmoreno
    jeanmoreno Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    The hardest bit is to get out of the house,after you just have to get on with it ! ;-)
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    My biggest challenge when I first joined the gym was making time to go.

After work was almost impossible as I have a dog at home as well as a husband who enjoys homemade dinner. I'd always make excuses "I have to go to the grocery store" "I have to start dinner" "I have to pack our lunches" "I have to take Booker for his walk"...

SO, since going after work was difficult, I started going in the morning BEFORE work. I'm now into a very regular routine-getting up at 4:15 AM, working out, going to work and then doing my usual routine after work.

It's not for everyone, but my motivation and gym attendance was much better once I decided to work out in the AM.

When it comes down to it, it's a choice and a matter of priorities. Someone said something very profound...taking the word "can't" out and inserting "It's not a priority"

Instead of..."I can't go to the gym because I have to make dinner" insert "Going to the gym is not a priority because I have to make dinner". Suddenly it becomes about what in your life you are putting before your health...It motivated me to make healthier decisions and stop making excuses.
  • JessiBelleW
    JessiBelleW Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Maybe before you commit the money and sign up to the gym have a practice run - ie for one week make the effort to get up at the time you would need to get up to make it to the gym. If you can't get up at that time there is no point you buying the membership - it will just be money down the drain.

If you can get up on time do a practice run of the morning routine. You will know what it feels like, what the commute is like ect and you may learn a thing or two about your morning routine, ie you need to make your lunch the night before
  • MikeSloaninLDubya
    MikeSloaninLDubya Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I suffered from the same lack of motivation. I joined a health club and paid monthly for years and I promise you I didn't go more than five times in as many years. I even took comfort in just knowing I was a member... as if that alone was going to help me get fit.

During the Christmas season of 2007, after much uncontrolled, mindless eating and indolence, I got so disgusted with myself and I actually started to feel bad: out of shape, out of breath, etc. I resolved then & there to start the new year by getting back to the gym (I actually waited a week because I've always failed at new year's resolutions that begin on January 1!!).

I show up at least 5 days a week at 6 am and a little later on weekends. I struggled in the beginning, but I PUSHED myself to get up and go. And I am NOT a morning person. It wasn't easy but I just kept going.... no matter what! I even went to the gym on the day of my mother's funeral. I think.... no I KNOW.... she would applaud. I find that even if I don't want to go, or have a headache, or don't have any energy or feel tired, I just go anyway. Within minutes of starting to exercise, I start to feel better and glad that I pushed myself to go.

Believe me, I am the antithesis of the typical "health nut". Also, I have to say that for me, exercise is a just a "piece of the puzzle". When I gained some success at the gym, I started to feel like I could go on eating as I did when I was younger. Consequently, I reached a plateau and was still overweight.

That was when I took the advice of one of the fitness instructors at the gym who recommended that I try documenting my food intake. I found that trying to literally write things down wasn't easy. One day at the gym, someone recommended an alternative calorie/fitness documenting site online and on "cell phone". After a couple of weeks, I ended up online with myfitnesspal.

Nowadays, if I don't go to the gym or if I engage in mindless eating, I feel guilty, and out of sorts. I'm SO glad that I was able to shake-off the old ways and embrace new ones. NO ONE is more amazed than I at my success. Seriously, if I can do it, anyone with patience and perseverance can!
  • DiabolicBooger
    DiabolicBooger Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    u don't need a gym or any equipment to work out.....only need a body and gravity
  • tomato915
    tomato915 Posts: 40
    Options
    Um, I don't know if this will work for you. What I did to motivate me to run/go to the gym was invest on a good shoe (it wasn't cheap for me) and work out outfits. You bought them for a not-so-cheap price so you will want to use them. That's how it works for me tho. :)
  • MyPureSteez
    MyPureSteez Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I was stuck in the same cycle until i figured it out. You have to set yourself up for success the night before. Make it so easy that your lame excuse don't work. Get your bag ready the night before.

Lay your cloths out, water bottle, ipod charge and loaded, EVERYTHING! Because when you lack motivation the tiniest thing is more than enough for you to say ahhh PHUCK it.

Eighty percent of success is showing up -Woody Allen
  • lexherrera
    lexherrera Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I never thought I'd be waking up at 6am 3x a week to get my butt to the gym, but I still somehow do it every week! Before I started working out I would sleep in as late as possible (30 mins before work), get up, throw some clothes on and stumble into work. But now I get to work and I've already eaten breakfast, had coffee, done my workout, and gotten a nice shower in. :)
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I doubted myself also, and insisted on a one week trial before signing up. But I knew by the third day that motivation would not be my problem this time. I was ready.

It seems this gym is far away? Don't make it hard on yourself. I definitely wouldn't sign up for a long commute with questionable motivation. Don't worry about going to a gym with men. Most of us are well socialized. We don't bite or hit on women who are obviously all business. LOL

There are plenty of ways to exercise. Take up walking, running, cycling, hiking, etc. Gyms are really useful for strength training, but even that can be done at home.
  • magpie0
    magpie0 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    You just have to turn it into a habit rather than a choice to start. I used the app GymPact to get started. Highly recommend it.

Once it becomes a habit, you'll feel very guilty about not going and will eventually learn to look forward to it! There is no point in working out if you're not going to sustain it.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    I had a similar problem when I didn't want to go to the gym, but now I have motivation from a few different things: 1. increased calories so I can eat something yummy that I might not have the calories for otherwise 2. Find a workout buddy and go to the gym so you don't let them down and you both get in shape 3. Smaller clothes! I started finding smaller clothes on sale and buying them so I could wear them once I slim down. It's great motivation for me!

As another poster mentioned, you don't necessarily need a gym to get into shape, you can do it at home (most of my more current workouts are at home). There is a book that was recommended to me but I never tried it since I get to go to them gym for free and, at the time, didn't workout at home. It's called "You Are Your Own Gym," and it's like $12 on Amazon.
  • lheyens
    lheyens Posts: 62
    Options

I feel great after exercising, have more energy rather than less and I'm going 6 days a week.

... dont reward yourself with food your not a dog. but your other points are good.
    You just got to do it! get up and do it! have a big glass of water by your bed and drink that first thing, have everything set out and ready to go the night before. dont allow yourself to hit the snooze button. and make it a habit. on weekends dont sleep all morning, still get up at a good time. sleep in a bit sure but dont over do it.
    get to bed at a good time! sleep is important.
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options

... dont reward yourself with food your not a dog. but your other points are good.
    You just got to do it! get up and do it! have a big glass of water by your bed and drink that first thing, have everything set out and ready to go the night before. dont allow yourself to hit the snooze button. and make it a habit. on weekends dont sleep all morning, still get up at a good time. sleep in a bit sure but dont over do it.
    get to bed at a good time! sleep is important.

Um yes I am quite sure I'm not a dog thanks :noway: But I get 500+ calls from exercise and gorge myself on seafood, veggies and a little bit of black chocolate :wink:

Unlike some people I absolutely love the flavours of different fresh foods and can't really stand fast foods... so yes, it is a reward for me and my body to fuel up with something enriching after working out.

I am probably a cat if anything, they like fish right? :glasses:
  • xxxTiaxxx
    xxxTiaxxx Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty much in that position. I've had a membership for over a year and the weight that I've lost hasn't been because of the gym that's for sure. But I'm forcing myself to go tonight. The only motivation I have is that it's cold, dark and raining out and I have to wait for my fiance so it's better to wait in a warm place lol.
  • rudarbe
    rudarbe Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Just do it.

If you don't want $50 to go to waste, then go to the gym and wake up 2 hours earlier, you won't regret it.
    It's easier said than done, but once you get into the habit of going to the gym then you won't think twice.
    You can do it :)