Accurate calorie monitor

Options
Hello all, i m looking for a durable and accurate calorie monitor. Something that can be used daily as I go to the gym daily, run thrice a week and strength train twice a week, do a step class twice a week.

I tried looking online and my head spins with all the info/reviews, so would be greatful if someone can point me to the right direction. I dont want to spend more than a £100, something available easily in the UK.

Also, does anyone know a store that you can actually go and try a monitor before buying?

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Body fit media, or Bodybug would be the most accurate for cals burned during the day. HRMs are only accurate for steady state cardio (not even remotely close for strength training), and can be off for cardio where intensity changes (such as intervals)
  • cgirlygirl
    Options
    I use a Polar Heart Rate Monitor. It s about $80.00 USD but totally worth it!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Hello all, i m looking for a durable and accurate calorie monitor. Something that can be used daily as I go to the gym daily, run thrice a week and strength train twice a week, do a step class twice a week.

I tried looking online and my head spins with all the info/reviews, so would be greatful if someone can point me to the right direction. I dont want to spend more than a £100, something available easily in the UK.

Also, does anyone know a store that you can actually go and try a monitor before buying?

No stores, because they tweak themselves to you, require an online account, ect. Gym might have loaners.

You are NOT going to find a device for both daily activity and exercise (unless exercise is just walking).

The FitBit, BodyMedia, BodyBugg, type devices are as decent as you'll get for daily activities including walking, slow jogging.
    They start to lose it for calorie counting on faster running and other exercise, at which point at HRM will be more accurate, though still 5-30% off even with correct stats.

And even the daily stuff could be off depending on if their default calc's are close to your reality. But they can be useful if used correctly.
    The FitBit will let you enter in actual exercise and replace what it estimated for that time period, improving accuracy. The BodyMedia you have to remove it for exercise if you want to manually correct it.

HRM's aren't correct for daily activity except a few more expensive models.
  • nisha0612
    nisha0612 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I will be using the monitor only while working out. So something that can go close as possible to accurate reading of calorie expenditure and heart rate monitoring. Fitbit needs a monthly payment right for using the system online? or can i just buy the monitor and not bother about the subscription.
  • heybales
    Options
    I will be using the monitor only while working out. So something that can go close as possible to accurate reading of calorie expenditure and heart rate monitoring. Fitbit needs a monthly payment right for using the system online? or can i just buy the monitor and not bother about the subscription.

FitBit is the free one unless you want to pay for extra unneeded stats.

BodyMedia / BodyBugg is the one with montly sub just to use.

So you want a HRM then.

You can get the cheapest Polars that lack enough settings to make it really accurate, and have little to no features for actual training.
    Or you can spend more on Polar that allows 1 more stat that increases calorie burn accuracy and adds couple features.
    Or you can spend a lot more and actually get some features that are useful.

Or you can go for the cheapest Timex HRM and get a lot of features but terrible calorie counts.

But then you take your avg HR during the workout to here and use the Polar funded study formula anyway.

http://www.braydenwm.com/calburn.htm

And to increase the accuracy as the more expensive Polar's do, use this to calculate your VO2max stat to use on that site.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/577839-hrm-s-with-vo2max-stat-improve-calorie-estimate

Or just use the spreadsheet referenced here, the HRM tab, calculate your VO2max and use the boxes to the right for the same Polar formula calorie burn estimate. Depends if you find the spreadsheet or website more useful to use.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/677905-spreadsheet-for-bmr-tdee-deficit-calc-macro-calc-hrm
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Mine was low cost about $70. I got it at Target. It is New Balance Brand. Make sure you get one with a chest strap for the most accurate counts.
  • joyous504
    Options
    I love my fitbit.
  • 02tods
    02tods Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • Brianabomb
    Brianabomb Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    thanks! I needed these questions answered as well!
  • MissE4410
    MissE4410 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    With the Fitbit, do you need to pay a monthly subscription pr anything? I am so lost when it comes to these HRM.
  • heybales
    Options
    With the Fitbit, do you need to pay a monthly subscription pr anything? I am so lost when it comes to these HRM.

FitBit is free.

But it's not a HRM because it doesn't watch HR but your steps and tries to discern pace, so any exercise outside step type (walking, jogging, stairs, ect) it won't be nearly as correct on (lifting, spin or bike, some gym classes, elliptical, ect).
  • Goosiesnougs
    Options
    IMO...Body Media is terrible. I actually gained weight steadily while I used it. I have one sitting in a draw if anyone wants to buy it! You do need a monthly subscription with it!

I bought a fitbit and love it!! I use a HRM when I use my incline on my treadmill because it won't account for those calories (only the walking) But it's easily fixable to add to exercise on MFP
  • bathony
    bathony Posts: 51
    Options
    I use Polar FT7, I use it for workouts, works fine for me.