eating after 6

Options
anikab
anikab Posts: 150 Member
I have heard you aren't supposed to eat after 6 or 7pm but most nights that isn't an option for me because I have to feed 2 kids and THEN myself and usually by that time it's after 7. and some days I'm not even hungry until 8pm so I'll have something light like fruit and yogurt etc. but what's all the hype about not eating after 6?

Replies

• spike1380
    spike1380 Posts: 82
    Options
    I think that time is for normal people who go to bed at a normal hour.

I don't go to bed until 1am - 3am most days so not eating after 6pm would be hard for me. Hell, I don't even usually eat lunch til 2 or 3pm.

The idea is to not eat anything too close to when you go to bed.
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I think that is based on people going to bed at 10ish... and, honestly, I don't even see how that is possible for most people. When I worked full time, I was lucky to be home by 6 and eating dinner by 6:30 or 7! That is still many nights for us even when I am at home more.
  • lyndsloo
    lyndsloo Posts: 242
    Options
    I've heard mixed research on that. I recently read an article about a case study conducted on men/women of all shapes, ages, and sizes who were trying to lose weight. The results showed that the time of day does not influence the amount of weight lost/gained. I will try to find the article again to send to you. I usually don't eat past 9p.m., but I've heard mixed stories/research. I think that 6 or 7 is fine! Don't stress about it. If you are making healthy choices then you WILL be successful. I think people who tend to eat late at night are chowing down on brownies and ice cream. I know I used to! :)
  • sngnyrslp
    sngnyrslp Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    A lot of research says, though, that eating or not eating before bed doesn't have any effect on weight loss. From what I've read, it doesn't affect anything besides maybe your sleep.
  • merimeaux
    merimeaux Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure where I heard this, but I heard you're supposed to eat at least three hours before you go to bed because of something having to do with digestion and metabolism (sorry, my memory's fuzzy on the details). I usually don't have dinner until after 8 p.m. but don't go to bed after midnight and I am managing to lose weight. So I think as long as you don't eat at 8 and go to bed at 9 or something you should be fine. :)
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    The idea is to eat atleast 2-3 hours before you go to bed.....If you are able to eat at 8pm but dont go to bed until 10 or 11 then you should be fine.

If you are eating at 8pm and are still losing weight, then I dont see a problem with that
  • brwneyes71
    brwneyes71 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I am up under my doctors care throughtout my weightloss process and he has told me not to eat anything two hours before i go to sleep. So it really doesn't matter what time your last meal is as long as it is 2 hours before you plan to go to bed. I hope this helps you out. Good Luck.
  • sagithia
    sagithia Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    You are supposed to stop eating 3 hours before you go to sleep. This allows your body enough time to digest what you have already eaten instead of when you sleep where you metabolism is at a hault and doesn't burn that food up and instead converts it faster to fat.
  • BeerKahuna
    BeerKahuna Posts: 52
    Options
    I hear what everyone's saying and I think it's based on some sort of valid medical/biological reasoning - BUT - does anyone know WHY? I'd be interested to know.
  • aujourdhui
    aujourdhui Posts: 16
    Options
    The thing my trainer told me is that when you eat at night, your body isn't doing much activity, so hence you don't really need the food. It's a mind thing; we all think we need to eat, but it's actually better to eat something without sugar. Like it's good to eat something to maintain your metabolism, but not anything that is full of energy, because you're not expending (much) energy.
    I think what you're eating sounds good though- like you're not eating anything too heavy it sounds like...
    Oh, I just saw what brwneyes71 wrote; that's good advice too! : D
  • trainguy917
    trainguy917 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Do the best you can with what you have. Sometimes I don't get to work out until 8:30 at night, and I have no choice but to eat after 9:30 on days like that, and I'm not having any trouble losing weight. It has less to do with when than it does with how many calories go in and how many calories you burn.
  • anikab
    anikab Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone! I was thinking, theres no way someone can do that. an artocle I read says 'its ok for you to be hungry'? I'm not so sure about all that :huh: