30 day shred - cardio portion

Options
good afternoon. I have read so many comments about the 30 day shred program. I see that there is a cardio section and am wondering if anyone could share what this entails. I have a bad hip, however I am hoping that the cardio portion will not be too high impact for me to attempt. i am looking forward to starting weights to continue my journey of weight loss, better tone and better health. Today I read again a saying - don't wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain. Wanting to "dance" with my hip issues. also want to be mindful of making an investment in a DVD that I will really use. thanks everyone! :heart: :smile:

Replies

• Zombriana
    Zombriana Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    jumping jacks, jogging in place, pretend jump roping, butt kicks (maybe) nothing too intense. :)
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Yeah, each circuit is 3 minutes of strength training, 2 minutes of cardio, and 1 minute of ab work. You do three circuits per workout, so about 6 minutes of cardio total.

The cardio varies every time, but it's generally stuff like jumping jacks, high knees, butt kicks, jump roping, boxing, etc. You never do one for too long. For example, in your 2 minutes of cardio during a circuit you may do 30 seconds of jumping jacks, then 30 seconds of boxing, then repeat.

If you're unable to do one of the cardio moves I'm sure you could just modify it and do something else. The point is that you're moving and keeping your heart rate up - it doesn't really matter if you're not doing exactly what the video says.

Hope this helps and good luck! The shred will kick your butt but the results are awesome!
  • sandy_gee
    sandy_gee Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Offhand I know it has jumping jacks, 'jump rope' in place, oh wow. Drawing a blank here. You can always check it out on YouTube and see if it works for you!

I tend to modify sometimes, as I had some torn ligaments in one knee and after surgery some things still put extra stress that I can feel. So instead of jumping jacks, I jog in place while doing the arm movements instead of going full out, etc.
  • weffie11
    weffie11 Posts: 91
    Options
    If you've got access to the internet then you can get 30 day shred on YouTube for free. There are three levels and you start with level 1. You may have some difficulty with some of the cardio, but there is a modified version of each exercise. If you can't do the modified version, you just keep moving as much as you can. The whole idea is that you put as much effort into all the exercises as you can and you work to the point of being uncomfortable rather than painful. Please be aware that a lot of people get muscle soreness for the first two-three days, but if you carry on trying to do the exercises (and the warm-ups will help with muscle soreness), it does pass and the exercises become more 'do-able'. Hope that helps.
  • bunnymum150
    bunnymum150 Posts: 311
    Options
    thanks everyone! I think I will pick up the dvd and start soon!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    You can substitute anything that you CAN do for any bits that are too difficult for you. What cardio moves are you OK with?
  • brandimacleod
    brandimacleod Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    There is a cardio move in it that Jillian even says is great for people who have lower body problems. You do a squat and punches. That will get your heart rate up great, and gives you a nice muscle burn too. Do the squat however you are able. But the punches are perfect for you I think.
  • bunnymum150
    bunnymum150 Posts: 311
    Options
    squats and punches sound as though they well get/keep heart rate up! Re what cardio I can do - I have been laying low, walking too much is uncomfortable and I did not do any skiing this winter. I need to get in a pool and get on an eliptical. thanks again all!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!