Bad Habit, Need advice.

I have been doing great on my diet, drinking nothing but water (I was addicted to Mountain dew) Eating very healthy but at night all I want to do is snack. Although they are still healthy choices I am still snacking before bed it's became a habit over the years. I'm trying my best not to but it's hard. I never realized just how much I snack before bed and now that I see it I understand why I have gained so much over the years. Also, I haven't been sleeping well, I think it could be a combination of my new lifestyle which also means instead of losing weight I stopped smoking as well. It's been almost 2 week since I stopped smoking. Any advice to help me stop snacking?

Replies

• NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    There is nothing wrong with late night snacking *IF* you have saved up enough calories to cover it. Eat what you want when you want, just make sure your numbers add up to a total that fits in your goal. Look for healthy snacks, that will balance out your macros for the day. If you're concerned about eating after 8:00pm or something like that, banish that idea from your mind. That's just outdated mythology.

Congrats on quitting smoking! It looks like you're taking a full-body approach to your overall health, not just looking at the scale, but looking at the Big Picture. Good for you!
  • girlonabikedc
    girlonabikedc Posts: 111 Member
    Brush your teeth right after your last meal.

Insomnia can be a common temporary symptom when quitting smoking. It will pass. Get yourself in the habit of a bedtime routine so your body will start learning that its time to sleep. Try to go to bed the same time each night.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    I eat as late as possible and reserve most of my calories for the night time.

I find it improves my sleep.
  • Rpeat1
    Rpeat1 Posts: 49 Member
    I'm also one who deliberately saves calories for evening snacking. Knowing there's something to look forward to makes staying on track during the day much easier.
  • I have been doing great on my diet, drinking nothing but water (I was addicted to Mountain dew) Eating very healthy but at night all I want to do is snack. Although they are still healthy choices I am still snacking before bed it's became a habit over the years. I'm trying my best not to but it's hard. I never realized just how much I snack before bed and now that I see it I understand why I have gained so much over the years. Also, I haven't been sleeping well, I think it could be a combination of my new lifestyle which also means instead of losing weight I stopped smoking as well. It's been almost 2 week since I stopped smoking. Any advice to help me stop snacking?

I can relate to this so much; I used to wake up in the middle of the night and munch every night.. for no reason. I wasn't hungry, I just made it a habit. Since starting my journey, I promised myself to not eat after 7:30 PM, however sometimes this isn't possible, so I try not to eat anything at least 2 hours before bed. You'll see that it makes a HUGE difference when you're not picking before you go to sleep. If you get the munchies, snack on something light like a rice cake or s small peice of dark chocolate. OR try filling up on water. It sucks when you gotta wake up and pee, but you're getting your water intake AND stopping the habit!
  • TimeForMe99
    TimeForMe99 Posts: 309
    Try combining the two! Bananas, oatmeal, warm milk (of course), and turkey are all believed to relax you and cause drowsiness. A little honey also helps, especially if combined with whole grains. DD swears by cold cereal with milk. Be sure to log your snack in advance or otherwise save the calories.

If you're snacking out of boredom rather than hunger, take up crocheting or knitting. It occupies your hands and relaxes your mind while creating a useful baby blanket or fashionable scarf. It works great if you're a TV muncher.
  • Chris99mu
    Chris99mu Posts: 352 Member
    I used to be really good about not eating after 7ish. But I've been staying up much later these days. Plus, ehhh, this is TMI, but my sexy time life has really ramped up lately and I'm famished late at night now, after. :blushing:

I try to eat healthy. But it ends up being a bowl of cereal and a sandwich, more often than not.

Need to get a handle on it.....
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    There is nothing wrong with late night snacking *IF* you have saved up enough calories to cover it. Eat what you want when you want, just make sure your numbers add up to a total that fits in your goal. Look for healthy snacks, that will balance out your macros for the day. If you're concerned about eating after 8:00pm or something like that, banish that idea from your mind. That's just outdated mythology.

Congrats on quitting smoking! It looks like you're taking a full-body approach to your overall health, not just looking at the scale, but looking at the Big Picture. Good for you!

This! ^^

I eat before bed every night - in fact, about 1200 of my daily 1850 calories is eaten between 6pm and 11pm every day.
  • SweetLove1988
    SweetLove1988 Posts: 353 Member

Thank you! :)
  • SweetLove1988
    SweetLove1988 Posts: 353 Member
    I'm also one who deliberately saves calories for evening snacking. Knowing there's something to look forward to makes staying on track during the day much easier.

Oh ok, Everyone is always telling me not to eat 3-4 hour before bed time and it's so hard. Thank you!
  • janice775
    janice775 Posts: 20 Member
    Try some sugar free jello with fat free/sugar free cool whip. It helps me