day off no logging or calorie counting

Options
Well i woke this morning and just wanted a day off , i haven't done any exercise i haven't logged any food , in fact i have eaten like a pig. Been out in the sunshine and eaten ice cream, had a massive tea and huge pudding , feeling stuffed now , but not guilty .

Who else has days like this ?
or is it just me lol

Replies

• jadams1650
    jadams1650 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're looking for someone to enable you. Don't worry, I'm sure somebody will step up and tell you it's okay. Also, you're not alone, most people who fail rationalize their first step exactly as you have...pretty common I think.
  • cinrn68
    cinrn68 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I used to have "cheat" days, but those usually led to cheat weekends and then cheat weeks and then completely falling off the wagon.

If you can manage the odd "cheat" day once in awhile and it works for you, then go for it. But don't cheat yourself out of a healthy new lifestyle just because you wanted a day off of counting calories and working out. I'm sure you could manage those kinds of days without going out and bingeing, etc.
  • Requiembell
    Requiembell Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    This topic and the "I like to drink" topic make my hair hurt.

Do WTF ever you like. Don't ask permission.

If you really think this is the way to be for you, why are you saying anything at all?
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Log it all. ONE REALLY BAD DAY MAY tank an entire week.
  • ncthomas09
    ncthomas09 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    While I was actually logging what I ate there were days I didn't feel like logging. Honestly I dont log anything now either....doesn't mean I dont pay attention to what I am eating.
  • underwater77
    underwater77 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I agree, if you feel the need to take the day "off," log it anyway. Then, if you are up a pound or so this week, you can look back and REALLY know why, not just try to surmise what it was that put you over.
  • BChanFit
    BChanFit Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    It's tough. I think every once in a while is okay - but how long is every once in a while? Once every six months is obviously is different than once a week. I sometimes "cheat" on big holidays but I always log it all so I know the damage. I used to have a cheat day once a week but have been cutting it out.
  • feelthelove1964
    feelthelove1964 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're looking for someone to enable you. Don't worry, I'm sure somebody will step up and tell you it's okay. Also, you're not alone, most people who fail rationalize their first step exactly as you have...pretty common I think.

i never said anything about giving up, i just said i had a day off, if i have a day off work it doesn't mean i have quit my job does it ?
  • CharityGC
    CharityGC Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I have zero problems with skipping logging a meal or day here and there (I've even skipped a weekend on occasion!). It certainly hasn't derailed my goals. I think it depends on the person and if they have the willpower to get right back to it.
  • feelthelove1964
    Options
    I have zero problems with skipping logging a meal or day here and there (I've even skipped a weekend on occasion!). It certainly hasn't derailed my goals. I think it depends on the person and if they have the willpower to get right back to it.

thanks, i have great willpower so i will be fine , tomorrow is another day and a new start :)
  • bdur76
    bdur76 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I see the fun police are out in full force today. It's ok to take an OCCASIONAL day off of logging altogether, and days off of exercise aren't just nice, they're mandatory. As long as you can take the day, and have it stop there, then their is nothing wrong with taking a break. It will help keep you sane, and able to stay "on the wagon" for the long haul. Lifestyle changes dictate that you allow yourself some day to day flexibility.
  • feelthelove1964
    Options
    I see the fun police are out in full force today. It's ok to take an OCCASIONAL day off of logging altogether, and days off of exercise aren't just nice, they're mandatory. As long as you can take the day, and have it stop there, then their is nothing wrong with taking a break. It will help keep you sane, and able to stay "on the wagon" for the long haul. Lifestyle changes dictate that you allow yourself some day to day flexibility.
    [/quote
    thank you and congrats on your weight loss :)
  • feelthelove1964
    Options
    This topic and the "I like to drink" topic make my hair hurt.

Do WTF ever you like. Don't ask permission.

If you really think this is the way to be for you, why are you saying anything at all?

just making conversation , and it is nice to share with others who might be having the same day i have had where taking a day off felt right. When i go on holiday i won't be logging my food or exercising, we still have to live and enjoy ourselves .
  • jadams1650
    jadams1650 Posts: 139 Member
    Options

i never said anything about giving up, i just said i had a day off, if i have a day off work it doesn't mean i have quit my job does it ?
    Perfect, you can take it as motivation to have a fresh start tomorrow. However, that doesn't make what I said untrue...most people who fail rationalize their lack of discipline exactly as you have. Not breaking bad on you, just telling you the truth.
  • mattschwartz01
    mattschwartz01 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Logging and calorie counting should be a positive activity. I'm only into my fifth week of doing it and I don't mind it in the least. In fact, I like logging exercise because it is a real progress gauge. Logging allows you to enjoy the foods you like without going overboard because it keeps you accountable.

Logging is neither a fun activity nor a drag; it just is. It's something you do. When I hit my goal weight and go on a cruise, you can bet money that my MFP app is coming with me. I will also use the ship's workout center. Exercise is now an inexorable part of my life. A day without some sort of physical activity is almost like an empty day.
  • michcor
    michcor Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    LOLOL! Holy hell in a handbasket, simmer down people! OP was just making a light-hearted post asking if anyone can relate; not asking for permission.

OP, I definitely take a break from it on the weekends, and other special occasions. I may still exercise, but not always. Enjoy your day off :)
  • eskiadas
    eskiadas Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    LOLOL! Holy hell in a handbasket, simmer down people! OP was just making a light-hearted post asking if anyone can relate; not asking for permission.

OP, I definitely take a break from it on the weekends, and other special occasions. I may still exercise, but not always. Enjoy your day off :)

^THIS!! OP, Enjoy your day off, I know I enjoyed mine on Friday :)
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I still log when I have a day I don't diet. Why? Because even when I don't eat everything I want 4,000 calories in a day is about where I land. That is not even being "full". The logging is what keeps it from being REALLY bad.
  • Mlkmaid
    Mlkmaid Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I cut myself slack every once in a while if I have a social engagement that involves food BUT I ALWAYS balance it out with extra exercise and eating very, very lightly the following day.
  • Mlkmaid
    Mlkmaid Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    If you want somebody to tell you it's OK you may have come to the wrong place. LOL.