100-Calorie Supermarket Snacks

Options
100-Calorie Supermarket Snacks

Does being in the sun make you hungry? I love to snack when I’m on the beach or by the pool. I know that the warm weather can be dehydrating, so I try to eat lots of fruits and veggies, which are high in water content, yet low in calories, when I’m outside. Still, I’m often struck with hankerings for chips, pretzels and mint-chocolate-chip ice cream. Turns out, those cravings aren’t just the result of ice-cream trucks or the snack bar I have to pass on my way to the beach, but years of evolution. In prehistoric times, our brain’s reward pathway sought out high-calorie food, which was hard to find and necessary for survival. Nowadays, when high-calorie, high-fat food is just about everywhere, our yearnings persist, and trying to ignore them only makes you likelier to overindulge. Consider this: Dieters who were told not to think about chocolate scarfed twice as many candies as those who weren’t trying to resist, according to a study in Appetite. A better bet? Pick a satisfying yet low-cal substitute. Satisfy a yen with one of these portable, summery nibbles and you can laze while you graze and still look sleek in your swimsuit.

Bonus: Eat more to weigh less! 15 foods that fight fat

•6-oz container Yoplait Light Red Velvet Cake Yogurt (100 calories)
•6 squares dark Bubble Chocolate (it’s a new kind of chocolate that’s aerated, so you feel as if you’re getting more) (100 calories)
•4-oz cup Mott’s Health Harvest Summer Strawberry Sauce with 1 tbsp walnuts and a dash of apple pie spice (98 calories)
•21 mini-marshmallows with 1/3 cup Golden Grahams = 100 calories
Bonus: Got 20 minutes? You can get totally toned (it's fun!)

•6-inch tortilla with 1 tbsp salsa and 1 wedge The Laughing Cow Light Queso Fresco & Chipotle (91 calories)
•100-calorie bag Smartfood White Cheddar Cheese Flavored Popcorn
Bonus: Eat cheese to help stay slim

•Crispy Green Freeze-Dried Pears (39 calories)
•1 Jello-O Sugar-Free Gelatin Snack with 1/4 cup whipped cream (49 calories)
•Trail mix made from 1 tbsp chocolate chips and 1 tbsp chopped walnuts (100 calories)
•1 cup fruit salad topped with 1 tbsp Cool Whip free (98 calories)
•10 strawberries rolled in confectioners’ sugar (71 calories)
Bonus: 50 of the healthiest snacks

For more from SELF go to SELF.com.

http://health.yahoo.net/experts/healthieryou/100-calorie-supermarket-snacks

Replies

• recipe4success
    recipe4success Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    isn't the aerated chocolate just going to be like an aero bar? because those are certainly not new :)
  • edinbors
    edinbors Posts: 112
    Options
    Thank you!! This is great!
  • eac_wicked
    eac_wicked Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Those are really good ideas. I've tried some of the prepackaged 100 cal snack packs and I like most of them, but I never thought of making my own.

Thank you.
  • Lusadi
    Lusadi Posts: 79
    Options
    I appreciate what you're doing, however I'd like to add a small note. Most of the suggestions I'm seeing posted are fairly carb dense. For anyone that is trying to lose weight while battling insulin resistance, just remember to pair those carbs with protein and keep your blood sugar levels stable! Calories don't matter nearly as much as carb vs. protein ratio.
  • antiadipose
    antiadipose Posts: 447
    Options
    isn't the aerated chocolate just going to be like an aero bar? because those are certainly not new :)

theyre new to the US. canada and EN has aero bars . . we didnt before.

do i really see marshmallows on this list??? lol
  • Sharont213
    Sharont213 Posts: 323 Member
    Options

theyre new to the US. canada and EN has aero bars . . we didnt before.

do i really see marshmallows on this list??? lol

They have Aero bars in the US now? where? I am originally from Canada and I love Aero bars.. mmmmmm
  • recipe4success
    recipe4success Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    oh wow, you didn't have aero? that was always my favorite!
  • antiadipose
    antiadipose Posts: 447
    Options
    wait sorry first time i tried it, i was in the caribbean. so that could be the british influence?!
    i love it! u do feel like ur eating a big ole chocolate bar lol