Atkins diet

Options
Any atkins dieters out there? I want to know how it worked for you?

Replies

• mrsw510
    mrsw510 Posts: 169
    Options
    I personally haven't done it but I know several people who have. They lost a ton of weight super fast and then once they started eating normally they gained every pound back almost as fast as they lost it.
  • Caralyn
    Caralyn Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I tried it and after resuming normal eating (and I don't mean excessive) I gained it all back, just like the person who posted below.
  • TaraArriola
    Options
    I tried the Atkins diet and it was to much food for me. Made me sick eating all that meat.
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options

My sister swears by it and for her, it works. The only thing that puts me off it is that you can't continue on it for life and what I am now aiming for is a total life-changing eating plan, after I have lost all my weight, my maintenance will be the same foods but more of them.

I have heard very good reports about it, it is quite scientific in its approach and from what I gather you have to be very strict with the things you eat, but then again, don't you have to do that in any weight loss programme. xxx
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    I'm a low carber. I'm fairly close to my goal weight and getting closer. I've found the longer I stay low carb (75g or less daily, maintenance eating, basically) I don't have strong sugar cravings and feel more full. I DO watch my caloric intake, though. I know some sources say ONLY to count carbohydrate, but total caloric intake is also very important to monitor. And, eat lots of good fats. I know, I know, totally crazy advice, but hey - it's working for me and all my blood pressure / cholesterol stats are in normal range.
  • jrkingery
    jrkingery Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I tried it and after resuming normal eating (and I don't mean excessive) I gained it all back, just like the person who posted below.

That was my experience as well when I tried the Atkins diet a few years ago. After about 2 months I would have killed for some bread or pasta. The best approach I think, at least the one that has worked for me (71lbs lost and counting as of this posting) is watching my total caloric intake for the day, not denying myself any particular foods.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options

My sister swears by it and for her, it works. The only thing that puts me off it is that you can't continue on it for life and what I am now aiming for is a total life-changing eating plan, after I have lost all my weight, my maintenance will be the same foods but more of them.

I have heard very good reports about it, it is quite scientific in its approach and from what I gather you have to be very strict with the things you eat, but then again, don't you have to do that in any weight loss programme. xxx

You can continue on for life with it.................

You add back in all carbs from all the food groups through the carb ladder............which is the same as starting out low glycemic and working your way to higher glycemic foods. So, you are eating out of every food group, so how can you not do it for life?????

In this order:
    This is the order of preference which Atkins recommends for adding carbohydrate food back into the diet during the Ongoing Weight Loss Phase (OWL). They are roughly ordered as to how glycemic they are:

More salad and other vegetables

Fresh cheeses (as well as more aged cheese)

Nuts and Seeds

Berries, then melons

Dry wine (and other spirits low in carbs)

Legumes

Other Fruits

Starchy vegetables

Whole grains
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I tried the Atkins diet and it was to much food for me. Made me sick eating all that meat.

Why would you be eating "all that meat" There are supposed to be lots of veggies being consumed also. Atkins is not just meat, eggs and cheese............ That is not Atkins.

There are 4 phases to Atkins which will take you from being a carb addict down to the road to better health and weight loss along with being able to maintain your loss becuase you add back in foods according to the glycemic index, which allows you to reverse insulin resistance and diabetes..........

And becuase it is a whole foods plan and you have to prepare and cook your own meals, sodium intake is reduced and most times than not - most people come of blood pressure meds........... I know my husband has come off his and I know several others that have too.
  • simona1972
    simona1972 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I agree with Lioness, it is a plan you can continue for life and I know some people who have successfully maintained on Atkins - the plan is very methodical in how you add back carbs and I think people who regain weight dont follow the carb ladder and just add back carbs in one go. At least thats what I did.

Ive contemplated Atkins a while ago and still think about making the switch. I know I can do it..but like with all lifestyle changes, I have to be ready for it.
  • jbwegner
    jbwegner Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I think our culture/the media has really twisted what Atkins is all about. People think you can just sit around all day and eat steak and bacon cooked in butter. It's not like that. When people lose weight and then immediatley go back to eating processed foods and sugars, of course they gain it all back. Also, all those processed Atkins products are not true Atkins either. At least not in my humble opinion. If you are truly interested, read the original book.

With that being said, I don't think I could do it, but I do not think it is as evil as people make it out to be IF you follow it correctly!

Let us know what you decide and good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options

You can continue on for life with it.................

You add back in all carbs from all the food groups through the carb ladder............which is the same as starting out low glycemic and working your way to higher glycemic foods. So, you are eating out of every food group, so how can you not do it for life?????

In this order:
    This is the order of preference which Atkins recommends for adding carbohydrate food back into the diet during the Ongoing Weight Loss Phase (OWL). They are roughly ordered as to how glycemic they are:

More salad and other vegetables

Fresh cheeses (as well as more aged cheese)

Nuts and Seeds

Berries, then melons

Dry wine (and other spirits low in carbs)

Legumes

Other Fruits

Starchy vegetables

Whole grains

I know what you mean, but there are too many restrictions in it for me. As I said my sister has had success with it, but regarding myself, I don't think I'll try to fix my own eating plan that is not broken :laugh:
  • LovelyLady1977
    Options
    I think our culture/the media has really twisted what Atkins is all about. People think you can just sit around all day and eat steak and bacon cooked in butter. It's not like that. When people lose weight and then immediatley go back to eating processed foods and sugars, of course they gain it all back. Also, all those processed Atkins products are not true Atkins either. At least not in my humble opinion. If you are truly interested, read the original book. ...

Very well said!
  • eac_wicked
    eac_wicked Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I tried it and lost about 50lbs in a fairly short amount of time, but I also gained it back...plus some...in a fairly short amount of time. I had a friend who tried it and still hasn't stopped two years later. I think the most important part is to make sure you eat enough veggies and not just cheese and meat.

I don't know if that helps you any but good luck!