an interesting workout..for non gym people!

Options
Ok, So I have a client who has triplets, they are 2.5 yrs old and are crazy! I needed to devise a plan that utilized her home and what she has readily available to her. I also had to make sure that she stayed in her home within earshot of her kids. Ok, we had 2 10lb dumbbells to work with. and a staircase, .that's it. It's been three weeks now, she's dropped from a 34" waist to 31" she's lost 11 pounds. We have afew variations that we work on but for now this is her basic workout. Since she's had great success with it, I thought i'd pass it along, of course you may adapt the exercises to suit you, jump ropes, kettlebells, bands, can all be used. I will however just give you her workout the way I initally designed it. I will be adjusting it once again in the next two weeks or so, when she begins to find it a little too easy.

1. She runs up and down the stairs for a count of ten, each run up and down counts as one. the second set of ten is taking the steps two by two.

2. After the first set, she squats with weights held straight out in front of her for some serious shoulder work, she still has to drop them half way through, so don't get discouraged, this takes time! We do 30 squats, at the bottom of the last one, I make her hold for a count of 12 then tiny little pulses for a count of 8.

3. Hits the stairs once again.

4. Lunges, using the weight and performing a bicep curl she lunges using alternate legs, for a count of thirty, the she lunges crossing first the left leg behind the right, then repeating ont he other side for a count of 30 as well.

5. Hits the stairs again.

6. Step ups using an overhead shoulder press, She's now completing 60 step ups before she can no longer do another.

7. Stairs again.

8. planks...we do 1 minute then do alternate side planks for a 30 sec count each...if you can go longer..then go right ahead!

9. Stairs..get going!

10. Squats again, this time plie style, toes pointed out, with this you'll be performing a tricep overhead extension. Holding a dumbbell in both hands, hold the bell over your head and perform an extension, you'll be doing at least 20, then another 8-12 without the tricep extension but this time with your heels off the ground engaging the calf muscle.

11. almost there, perform 8 burpees then down to the floor for some bicycle crunches...try to go an entire minute on the crunches. Now you will flip over and perform 10-12 pushups, the bring your hands closer into the body to utilize the tricep muscle and do 10-12 more, now extend the hands further apart, and use the shoulders to do 10-12 more....this is a very effective way to do a workout at home and with very little equipment....great to add to your workout on a day that you don't want to hit the gym..just hit the staircase.

Replies

• smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    You're nasty!
    I can't wait to do this after I move!
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    Bumping in case I get motivated to do this... probably when I get a little closer to goal! :) (Right now I'd likely trip over my 4 year old following me up and down the stairs... or fall down them myself!)

A couple of questions -- I am pretty new to strength training... I know some of those exercises but what are burpees and step ups?
  • imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Step ups are just simply stepping up and down on a platform or step, don't go more then two steps high if you use your staircase, and to do a burpee begin in a squat position with both hands flat on the floor. Kick the legs back into a plank position, readying for a push-up; then, lower the body into a push-up and come back up. As quickly as possible, bring the feet forward into the squatting position again, and leap into the air as high as possible with the arms overhead.

And yes, no tripping over 4 yr olds, we do this when at least two of the kids are sleeping, or hubby has em, sometimes though one wakes, we have him high five her everytime she makes it up the stairs, and he loves to count out the squats as well...we have to modify a little if more then one wakes up! lol
  • katapple
    katapple Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    sounds like a killer workout! Have to use this one after I move, since I'll have stairs again :)
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I might have to print this out for something different.
  • Winter0916
    Winter0916 Posts: 80
    Options
    Love it! Sounds liek Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred, difference is the stairs ...Ohhh how I would love to have stairs!!
  • Breathe_Glamour
    Options
    I'll have to give this a try. It sounds rigorous! A great workout. I'm shocked she can do so much with triplets. She gets an A+++++ in my book! LOL.
  • 8turboturtle8
    8turboturtle8 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Wishing I had stairs...sounds killer!
  • imagymrat
    Options
    I'll have to give this a try. It sounds rigorous! A great workout. I'm shocked she can do so much with triplets. She gets an A+++++ in my book! LOL.

She doesn't do it all YET...lol :laugh: , but I'm there 3 days a week to make sure she gives it her all, I know if I left it to her, she wouldn't do it, she's not there quite yet..still needs a little prodding!
  • onyxlibra7
    onyxlibra7 Posts: 93
    Options
    BUMP
  • johnjely
    johnjely Posts: 99
    Options
    Thanks so much! Bump!
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    You're simply amazing!!!!

I'd LOVE to have you as MY trainer!!!!!!!!!!!! :tongue:

Becca:drinker:
  • Mary_Burris
    Mary_Burris Posts: 120
    Options
    ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.....sounds FUN! LOL. Ill be printing these out! I wish I had stairs at home....
  • KeriD
    KeriD Posts: 324
    Options
    You may not be an artist but you are certainly creative and resourceful!!! That is one awesome workout you planned for her!
  • Dive_Girl
    Dive_Girl Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

She doesn't do it all YET...lol :laugh: , but I'm there 3 days a week to make sure she gives it her all, I know if I left it to her, she wouldn't do it, she's not there quite yet..still needs a little prodding!
    [/quote]

So how often is she working out? Just the 3 days you come over or does she alternate with something else?
  • Rhaeven
    Rhaeven Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    yet another workout that is nearly perfect for my limited space. Too bad I don't have stairs....will figure something out tho
  • GrammaPower
    GrammaPower Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Yesss - This is BRILLIANT (nasty :) ) And who cares if we have no stairs, a single 6 inch step and some extra effort/speed will be better than nothing for ME! Thxs
  • imagymrat
    Options

[/quote]

So how often is she working out? Just the 3 days you come over or does she alternate with something else?
    [/quote]

She works out three times a week with me, in her home, and she tries to follow my power/weight walk progrma 1-2x's a week.

And for those of you who don't have stairs..try to replace the cardio section with something very high impact, like skipping rope, power jacks, and just a plain step as someone suggested but don't step up, jog it up and down, you won't believe how quickly your heart rate will go up. If you have only a step stool, you can tap alternating toes, while in a jog, don't put your full foot on the stool, just the ball of your right foot, then quickly switch feet, to land on your left foot, keep this up jumping back and forth , while having your arms pump up and down above heart level..I hope I explained that well...that was a hard one to describe.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I have just modded this program a bit to make it slightly more beginner friendly for my Mum and progressing to this stage over 12 weeks and put it in excel format if anyone wants it all laid out to them just send me a message with your email and I will forward it on :)
  • SarahEllis28
    Options
    Great at-home workout! And my God I hate burpees, especially via TRX. I'm emailing you, got some questions.:happy: