People use the search button !

Options
That way you can find loads of info people have put on this site ! Just my thought anyway .

Replies

• dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Usually these are noobs who have no idea how to work the website, or are unaware of the search option.
    I have found way more information using the search on the website than re-posting a duplicate topic that has been posted a 1000 times before.
  • fresh_start59
    fresh_start59 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's true that the same questions get asked over and over and over and over, but ...

If everyone used the search button (which is extremely lacking on MFP), then there would be no need for a discussion forum.
  • Morningstar93
    Options
    Live and let live.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Google even... it'll find MFP discussion + other general websites that are decent like bodybuilding.com or livestrong.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    Irony = this post

http://bit.ly/112GZgB
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    I'm in a few groups. If you use the search function, you search the entire message board, not just the group. Hard to read through 300 pages of results...

Because the title of the post looks like the same question that's been asked a million and one times, it doesn't always mean that the person is asking the same thing!

(Psst.. if you had used the search button, you would have discovered that many others have made the same type of post as you did!!)
  • Mock_Turtle
    Mock_Turtle Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I have to LOL when there are probably 20+ topics for "people of X height show me your progress pics". They're broken down to the 1" increment even, multiple threads for 5'4" , 5"5" , 5'6" etc
  • michcor
    michcor Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Why should people even have to Google it? Calm down. If someone asks a question that's already been asked a gazillion times, who cares? Do you have to answer it? No. Do you even have to open it? No. Do you live on MFP or something? Because I honestly can't understand why anyone would be uptight about something like this.

Oh, and when I first joined, I was one of those "noobs" that didn't know there was a search option.
  • zhvah18
    zhvah18 Posts: 158 Member
    Options

(Psst.. if you had used the search button, you would have discovered that many others have made the same type of post as you did!!)

teehee

the search feature and google are seriously my friends. I use the search feature ALOT. I would say 99% of the time, I find the answer I'm looking for and if I don't, then I turn to google.
    Like someone else said though, if they only ever used the search feature, there would be no need for a discussion board. There's nothing wrong with asking their question the way they want to word it. The search feature is just a feature, it's not mandatory.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Looks like we have a righteous public defender of the weak and down trodden... [sarcasm] because finding the information instantly through a search function is LESS efficient than waiting for people to see your topic then respond [/sarcasm]. I used a run on sentence and fragment. Pointing out grammar or spelling errors doesn't make you more ideologically correct: using a fallacy to get the high ground is a great strategy.
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Why should people even have to Google it? Calm down. If someone asks a question that's already been asked a gazillion times, who cares? Do you have to answer it? No. Do you even have to open it? No. Do you live on MFP or something? Because I honestly can't understand why anyone would be uptight about something like this.

Oh, and when I first joined, I was one of those "noobs" that didn't know there was a search option.

I was unaware of the search option and I am very happy I know about it now. You should go for a walk. Fresh air will make you feel better.:wink:
  • Kst76
    Options
    omg, there it is, the search button!
  • sexymuffintop
    Options
    That way you can find loads of info people have put on this site ! Just my thought anyway .

I got a strike for saying exactly the same thing....The how often do you weigh yourself threads just killed me. There has to be one at least every 3/4 days. The mods like to encourage posting no matter how many times the subject has been broached as it encourages new friendships or something like that.....
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

I got a strike for saying exactly the same thing....The how often do you weigh yourself threads just killed me. There has to be one at least every 3/4 days. The mods like to encourage posting no matter how many times the subject has been broached as it encourages new friendships or something like that.....

Yup. From the community guidelines -
    "We explicitly allow members to post questions that have been asked previously by other members. If you see a member post a topic that you think has been asked before by another member, please respond politely or simply move on. However, the same member cannot ask the same question or post the same topic more than once."

I find the search function frustrating here. I use google to search MFP topics. Much easier.
  • Kst76
    Options

Its the same thing when people write a question in a new thread , something like this ,

"I only eat 1200 calories a day and am not losing weight "

omg, there can be like 200 replies almost identical to each other. lol

• holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Just because someone asks doesn't mean YOU have to read it. Wonderful thing about computers. CLICK can be music to your ears.
  • iwillbetinytea
    iwillbetinytea Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Where have all these angry people on MFP come from. It seems like every day I come on here and someone is complaining about something or another.

People are here for support. Whether you like it or not, everyones' problems are unique to them, because they have never experienced it before, otherwise they wouldn't ask for help. They want an answer which is personal to them, which enables them to overcome it.

Maybe you have been here for too long!
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I like to have real conversations about my issues so I like to ask my own questions. Remember that no one has to answer if they don't want to answer. I'm all for the freedom to ask what you want to talk about!
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I am like you, use the search or at least try and if you do not find what you think you need, then post the question again. I find that people are too lazy nowadays and expect others to give them the answer instantly.