Whey Protein???

Options
2FatToRun
2FatToRun Posts: 810 Member
What exactly will this do to benefit me? I am early on havent started heavy weights or anything yet just trying to arm myself with info for the future. I saw a cheap brand at walmart for 15 bucks but after seeing a few videos learned it has added crap in it. Also can it only be mixed with water and milk? Can I use it in my nutribullet to make them chocolately tasting? Like some fruity chocolate drink with nuts in it? And if it isnt a good time to go ahead and start intaking it when is a good time?

Replies

• rescgaming
    Options
    Whey is an easy, efficient, and cheap way to get your daily protein inake in. Thus, it would be pointless to use outside of weightlifting.

The 15 dollar brand you saw adds filler chemicals into the whey, so it isn't worth it.

You could do whatever you want with your whey, hell you could even just swallow the powder (although that would be difficult). Some people make protein bars and protein cakes/pudding with it too, think of it as cocoa powder (if you got the chocolate flavor).
  • 2FatToRun
    Options
    Whey is an easy, efficient, and cheap way to get your daily protein inake in. Thus, it would be pointless to use outside of weightlifting.

The 15 dollar brand you saw adds filler chemicals into the whey, so it isn't worth it.

You could do whatever you want with your whey, hell you could even just swallow the powder (although that would be difficult). Some people make protein bars and protein cakes/pudding with it too, think of it as cocoa powder (if you got the chocolate flavor).

Thanks would you happen by chance know of a not so crap brand?
  • CarmenSandiegoInVA
    CarmenSandiegoInVA Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Girl If you wanna try different brands. Go to The Vitamin Shoppe, and get a bunch of sample packs and find one that you like. The cheap ones taste like **** frankly and you aren't gonna enjoy them even in a shake. Isopure is a good brans, Nutrabio, I love Natty Nutrition (i have a stockpile and they discontinued it SO sad) Truetein, Jay Robb. try these brands.
  • 2FatToRun
    Options
    Girl If you wanna try different brands. Go to The Vitamin Shoppe, and get a bunch of sample packs and find one that you like. The cheap ones taste like **** frankly and you aren't gonna enjoy them even in a shake. Isopure is a good brans, Nutrabio, I love Natty Nutrition (i have a stockpile and they discontinued it SO sad) Truetein, Jay Robb. try these brands.

TY! I want a chocolatey drink lol my green drinks are getting boring.
  • thomcand
    thomcand Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I really like the Optimum Nutrition from GNC or Amazon. It tastes the best with a good amount of protein in it. I use it plain or add in fruit and veggies to make more of a meal replacement drink. You can mix it with milk or water and there isn't all the added crap in it.
  • xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    When I did research on Whey Protein, all the feedback I got point towards Optimum Nutrition. A lot of people recommend the double chocolate flavor. I like it and I really like that it doesn't taste like chalky nastiness. You can add water or milk if you prefer a more creamy taste. I like mixing mine with coffee and ice for a frozen mocha. You could also add spinach, greek yogurt, ect.

The cheapest prices that I have found for ON is at vitaminshoppe.com

It doesn't need to be used only for weightlifting, it's great for days where you don't meet your protein goal
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I really like the Optimum Nutrition from GNC or Amazon. It tastes the best with a good amount of protein in it. I use it plain or add in fruit and veggies to make more of a meal replacement drink. You can mix it with milk or water and there isn't all the added crap in it.

I agree, this is the one I use (Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard). I usually mix it with 2% milk for the added protein from the milk. I often will add peanut butter as well, it tastes great. You can also add yogurt, banana or other fruit, pretty much anything you want.
  • kms1320
    kms1320 Posts: 599 Member
    Options

Disagree completely. Most people go way over on the carbs they need, and way under on the protein they need. We are over energized and under nourished as a country. You also do not need to spend a ton of money on whey for it to be effective or even taste good. EAS is 20 a tub, and their chocolate is better than GNC's, or any other I've tasted. Getting a protein shake or two in a day is a HUGE benefit to both your health and you fat loss, EVEN IF you don't weight lift.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    IMO you only need it if you can't get to your desired protein goal with food alone. They are really handy though if you can't be bothered to prepare something.

My favourite was chocolate casein at night microwaved for hot chocolate but I have since invented vanilla protein ice-lollies :)

Also a fan of ON ^ use them for both of these.
  • lovemitch125
    lovemitch125 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    A store near me makes whey protein shakes, but they make them taste like milk shakes. I like chocolatey birthday cake. It has 2 scoops of the whey protein, a tbsp of fudge pudding a tbsp of cheesecake pudding and rainbow sprinkles. All of the shakes are under 250 cals and are used as a meal replacement. I still use it as a meal replacement, but I get it right after I work out and only a few times a week. I use herba life so I always drink the herbal tea and aloe shot. The best liquid meal everrr. Esp in the summer when it's hot!
  • SWFLGUY
    SWFLGUY Posts: 40
    Options
    I looked at several protein supplements and they all had a huge amount of chlorestoral. I already have way too much of that I take medication to control it. I sure don't want to ingest more. I would like something that would give me a protein boost - I'm afraid sometimes I'm loosing muscle and sometimes I'm building it.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I use it because I hate eating breakfast and will find it is 12:30 with no food in my system!:noway:

I have Nutripro Vanilla Cake Batter Whey Protein (which a friend trained in nutrition and exericse recc.)

This morning I was running late for my waitress job. I knew I was going to hit the ground running with nothing in my system. I had made my cup of 1/2 caff coffee, 3 oz Almond milk and 2 stevia in the raw packets.

I added a few more oz of almond milk, a scoop of protein and drank it up! I had a banana at 10 ish only because I knew it was best to get some good carbs. I was not hungry at all. I finally got time to eat at 2 pm.

It comes in handy for times like these, or when I am just too bored or lazy to make food!:drinker:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I looked at several protein supplements and they all had a huge amount of chlorestoral. I already have way too much of that I take medication to control it. I sure don't want to ingest more. I would like something that would give me a protein boost - I'm afraid sometimes I'm loosing muscle and sometimes I'm building it.

Huh, I just checked and I am way under on Cholesterol. Which brand? I am curious because it never occured to me to check this out at all and I have very high chol
  • kms1320
    Options

Dietary cholesterol doesn't raise blood cholesterol levels. It may however, help your LDL profile, and you can eventually get off your meds.
  • Requiembell
    Requiembell Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Here is a little secret. A lot of the companies don't actually manufacture the whey. They package it with their other ingredients. Find one that doesn't have added sugar and whatever you don't want to eat. The genetic whey probably came from the same place as the brand name.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I only have a protein shake when I haven't managed to meet my protein % eating food. I only bought some recently when I increased my weight lifting as I know it's important for muscle growth/repair.

Also, protein helps you feel fuller for longer.
  • kms1320
    Options
    I really wish people would educate themselves about cholesterol. Eating cholesterol raises your cholesterol.. is a MYTH. Plain and simple. NO CORRELATION!
  • patriciaaallen503
    Options
    Are you saying you should not take Whey Protein if you don't weightlift? If so, why?
  • dw61574
    dw61574 Posts: 11
    Options
    Not so true about using outside of weight lifting. Your body needs protein to maintain ad rebuild lean muscle, when dieting your losing muscle and fat, so need to feed your muscles so you don't lose them. You need your lean muscles to help burn fat. I don't know if they sell this in your area, but Bi Pro is really good!
  • dw61574
    dw61574 Posts: 11
    Options
    Also take your protein in the morning within an hour of waking up, your body needs the protein and you'll get a little energy boost in the morning, besides protein on an empty stomach will help you burn fat just by digesting it.