Endomondo Calorie Counter?

Options
When I'm not following C25K, I use Endomondo to track how fast I'm running and how far. It also tells me how many calories I've burned. Does anyone know how reliable that calorie count is? It's often higher than what MFP tells me I've burned. Is it unreliable since it doesn't know what my weight is?

Replies

• rougette66
    rougette66 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    i use endomondo to track my runs and absolutely love it! im a fan of not eating back my calories. i just like looking at the cal burn as a ego boost lol! plus it cant be that far off! it judges distance covered divided by time it takes the avg person ie. 6 min mile
  • butterflylover527
    butterflylover527 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I find that Endomondo is more accurate than MFP, because it knows how fast you were going at all times instead of generalizing, say, 4 mph.
  • aims_86
    aims_86 Posts: 74
    Options
    You can also link it to MFP app, therefore it knows your weight, height etc.

Although I'm sure you enter your stats into the app. Xx
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    All calorie counts are estimates. Each one uses a formula to calculate them. So which is accurate, probably none exactly. I suggest using the heart monitor for Endomondao to get more consistent reading. Also, as you become more fit, you'll burn less calories due to weight, and aerobic fitness.

Have fun.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Endomondo also knows elevation changes which I would assume affects the calorie calculation.

And are you certain Endomondo doesn't know your weight? I'm pretty sure that's something it asks for...although I'll admit that I don't know if it uses it in the calorie count.
  • shivles
    shivles Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    You can put your weight in! I feel it's much more accurate as it knows exactly how fast I went, if I was uphill, downhill etc.
  • tpittsley77
    tpittsley77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    When it is working properly, I find its very close to my hrm. It does fail me occasionally however. Sometimes, it loses touch with the satellite. Which sucks, because you don't realize it for a while. The other day, I ran 5k, and it told me I burned 1999 calories....lol
  • DeMarraDontStop
    DeMarraDontStop Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    When I ran my 8k on Sunday, Endomondo and my HRM were pretty spot +- a few calories. I was pretty surprised how it picked up the calorie count. I was using a SportsTracker app and the count was no where near my HRM.
  • danimal5867
    danimal5867 Posts: 390
    Options
    Endomondo can know your weight. It's up to you to plug that in on the settings page. Last summer I compared endomondo's numbers with my HRM and they were reasonably close. I now just go with the endomondo numbers but I have my weight set about 15 lbs. lower than my actual weight. Ultimately calorie burns while running are all about the distance. Just like your car gets a certain miles per gallon on the highway, your body is burning calories per mile. These numbers will vary somewhat due to speed, weather, and terrain, but in the end it's all about the miles.
  • 4hunter
    4hunter Posts: 1
    Options
    I know that for me, the Endomondo calculation for calories is very out, I have a heart rate monitor that I use when I run, the run I did yesterday my heart rate monitor says I burned 500 calories, If I put the time and distance for my run into endomondo it gives me a value of 619 cal - if I actually put my maximum and average heart rate from the monitor into endomondo it recalculates and comes up with the number 768 calories. This is the same for all my workouts, so for me Endomondo is very inaccurate.

However I know of other people that say their heart rate monitor gives a very similar readings to Endomondo.
  • NoxDineen
    NoxDineen Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8", 118 lbs and in pretty good shape. I find Endomondo consistency wildly overestimates calorie burn (vs a Polar F7 HRM, MPF and RunKeeper app).

For what it's worth it also look like their software development team is pretty lousy, based on their GetSatisfaction.com community being primarily people reporting bugs (usually GetSatisfaction is at least half feature requests for an app like that).

I keep *wanting* to like it since it integrates with MFP, but for now I'm sticking with RunKeeper.
  • Dobba69
    Dobba69 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I noticed no one says they have used an actual heart rate monitor with endomondo and said whether it works any better based on actual heart rate input ?

Ive just bought a Polar H7 heart rate strap which works bluetooth with Polar beat on my phone and is very accurate, Endomondo has just integrated this in their latest update.

A normal workout for me is circa 1250 calories for an hours eliptical (im a big guy, very fit and train very hard before anyone says thats ridiculous) so ill post later today after ive worked out with it running.

It doesnt know my Vo2 max like the polar app does so im intrigued to see how this effects the reading

I might even try to run polar beat and endomondo pulling data off the strap at the same time and see how they compare like for like
  • Dobba69
    Dobba69 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    miles out - fell short by 350 calories on a workout I do everyday that always hits between 1220 & 1300 calories

Endomondo is pants although it doesnt ask for the Vo2 max which i think is the reason