Whey Protein???

Options
2»

Replies

• artickb22
    artickb22 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I have a protein smoothie every am after my workouts, I use whey vanilla or strawberry and mix with various fruits to help taste. I see there has been so debate here on the cholesterol of whey....if your worried about it use whey isolate. It's simply filtered a different way and typicall carries more protein and less fat and cholesterol.
  • dw61574
    dw61574 Posts: 11
    Options
    Bi Pro has natural whey from a special process. I use this product and give it 5 stars.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    What exactly will this do to benefit me? I am early on havent started heavy weights or anything yet just trying to arm myself with info for the future. I saw a cheap brand at walmart for 15 bucks but after seeing a few videos learned it has added crap in it. Also can it only be mixed with water and milk? Can I use it in my nutribullet to make them chocolately tasting? Like some fruity chocolate drink with nuts in it? And if it isnt a good time to go ahead and start intaking it when is a good time?

I would not tend to excessively worry about the added stuff. The serving size and protein content of the $15 Walmart kind (probably Body fortress) is the same (or VERY similar) to optimum nutrition's. Body fortress is 37 gram scoop for 26 grams protein. Optimum nutrition is 33 gram scoop for 24 grams of protein.

The added fillers and texturizers are:
    Maltodextrin - often a filler, but in this case probably a texturizer.
    Soy lecithin - good source of choline and an emulsifier (makes it easier to mix with liquid)
    Cellulose gum - texturizer (adds creaminess) - made from plant cell walls
    Acesulfame Potassium - artificial sweetener
    Sucralose - artificial sweetener

Moreover, pretty much all of these same ingredients are in Optimum Nutrition's products too.

I'd just find one that you like the taste of and can afford. (Unless you have known sensitivities to any particular ingredients.)

As to what to mix it with - really you can add it to all sorts of things. I just use water, but my wife does smoothies, waffles, etc.
  • 2FatToRun
    2FatToRun Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Also take your protein in the morning within an hour of waking up, your body needs the protein and you'll get a little energy boost in the morning, besides protein on an empty stomach will help you burn fat just by digesting it.

I eat protein every meal lol But I really really love to eat my diary is open any PM's are welcome I am looking to start some light lifting so just getting info since I havent done this before :drinker: TBH I dont want my weight loss to leave hanging skin and would rather be muscles than that........
  • FluffyMcNutter
    Options
    ...but I have since invented vanilla protein ice-lollies :)

If that isn't as straight forward as it sounds, I'd like hear more.
  • NightMagic5
    NightMagic5 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I use Dr. Mercola's Miracle Whey Protein Powder. It's an excellent brand with no crap in it.

I mix it with Chocolate Unsweetened Blue Diamond Almond Breeze.
  • Rebeccahelen514
    Rebeccahelen514 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I don't use whey anymore. I used to but hated the added chemicals and the chemically taste. I was looking for a natural/organic whey protein and came across other proteins that aren't made from whey. I use Plant Fusion now, it's only 5 ingredients. Made from veggies. It's non gmo, vegan, non-dairy, soy-free, hypoallergenic and gluten free. It has an earthy taste but I LOVE it. I use it to make a smoothie every morning for breakfast. It gives me energy and keeps me fuller longer.
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Most (but not all - stay away from American Pure Whey) protein powders are pretty much the same. Try to get something like whey protein isolate or concentrate. That's it. Tests have shown the Optimum Nutrition was virtually equal to a popular bulk/"unbranded" whey product, but about twice as expensive. Nothing against ON though, brilliant company.

But I almost always suggest that you don't go for the big brands. Because you're just paying for the brand name.

My advice? For Europeans. Not sure about unbranded in the US though.
    Most popular type of protein powder - http://www.bulkpowders.co.uk/whey-protein-concentrate-82-instantised.html
    More protein per serving so more expensive - http://www.bulkpowders.co.uk/whey-protein-isolate-90-instantised.html
    Delivery info - http://helpdesk.bulkpowders.co.uk/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/62/9/how-much-will-i-pay-for-my-international-delivery

Read:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
    Whey is an easy, efficient, and cheap way to get your daily protein inake in. Thus, it would be pointless to use outside of weightlifting.

The 15 dollar brand you saw adds filler chemicals into the whey, so it isn't worth it.

You could do whatever you want with your whey, hell you could even just swallow the powder (although that would be difficult). Some people make protein bars and protein cakes/pudding with it too, think of it as cocoa powder (if you got the chocolate flavor).

What utter nonsense. Endurance athletes take protein powders.
  • justsarah07
    justsarah07 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am not a vegan but I have really enjoyed these vegan (whey free) protein powders:

Sun Warrior - Vanilla ( I have not tried the chocolate or natural favors yet) - The protein comes from rice and it is sweetened with Stevia. It doesn't have any GMO or soy, which I feel is a major plus! It has a slightly grainy texture but I love the vanilla flavor. Low in carbs and sugar it has 16 grams of protein per scoop (it comes in the bag).

http://www.amazon.com/Sunwarrior-Classic-Protein-Powder-Chocolate/dp/B00638EYF0/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1365975122&sr=8-14&keywords=sun+warrior

Garden of Life - Chocolate (I believe they have vanilla too) - It's not super chocolatey so sometimes I had more raw cacao powder. This one is slightly grainy but not unbearable and is low in carbs.

Now you can unlock the nutritive power of living seeds and grains with raw protein from garden of life a certified organic, raw, vegan protein powder. Featuring 13 raw and organic sprouts, raw protein is an excellent source of complete protein, providing 17 grams, or 33% of the daily value, plus all essential amino acids. raw protein contains vitamin code fat-soluble vitamins A and supports digestive health and function with live protein-
    digesting enzymes and powerful probiotics.

When I use Garden of Life, I feel full for a lot longer because it also contains 6 grams of fiber. I like that it has a mixture of other ingredients like, sprouts, chia seeds, enzymes (very important!), probiotics, and sweetened with Stevia. The ingredients are all organic.

http://www.amazon.com/Garden-Life-Organic-Protein-Grams/dp/B0031JK96C/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1365975472&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=Garden+of+Life+

Both of these are great mixed with ice, frozen fruit, Peanut butter powder, milk (nut or otherwise) and much more. Hope this helps!
  • 2FatToRun
    2FatToRun Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the input much appreciated I have ordered 2lb Opt Nut will last me a month at a time I can dig 27.99 a month for the benefits. Will try this out and go from there will let ya know how it goes as far as taste and **** as soon as I get it and taste it :drinker:
  • Docpremie
    Docpremie Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I did a lot of research this week on protein powders, as I was having trouble meeting my protein goals. I'm a physician & decided to check the bariatric & medical sites for suggestions from surgeons & dietitians. The one that kept coming up was Nectar powder by Syntrax. It is 100% whey protein isolates with no added carbs or fats, although it does contain sucralose as a sweetener. A lot of the powders add extra "junk." The Vitamin Shoppe carries this brand, but it's a bit pricey. The one nice thing is they have single packets by the register, so you can buy a variety & see what you like. I really like that it doesn't include other carbs or fats, because I can then add whatever I like to my smoothie/drink to meet the nutritional requirements I need.

My first perfected smoothie is Pineapple Coconut. I'm working to get more protein into my diet, as well as, trying to develop recipes for my father. His absolute favorite flavors are pineapple & coconut. This one turned out delicious and is very high in protein. Most of the carbs come from the fruit.

1/2 c. Dannon plain fat-free greek yogurt
    1/2 c. Milk 1%
    1 packet Syntrax Nectar Protein, Caribbean Cooler (enough for 24 grams of protein)
    1/2 c. frozen pineapple chunks (= 8 chunks)
    1/2 frozen banana
    Small squeeze of Dasani Pineapple Coconut Water Enhancer, add enough for your taste
    Handful of ice cubes

Mix well in a blender. The consistency is thick & foamy, like whipped cream just before it totally thickens. It was DELICIOUS & very filling. I wasn't the least bit hungry for the next 4-5 hours.

307 cal / 1 gram fat / 37 grams CHO / 41 grams protein / 2 grams fiber

Next on my agenda is a Chocolate Cherry Smoothie! I plan to use the Chocolate Truffle powder & add frozen black cherries. I've also tried the powder alone mixed in 32 oz. of water with a little of the Dasani Pineapple Coconut Water Enhancer. The powder goes into solution VERY easily & the drink was quite good!

The Vitamin Shoppe only carries a few flavors & even less of the single packets. I found a website online that caters to bariatric patients. The can of Nectar was $10 cheaper than at the Vitamin Shoppe! They also have a "sampler" option, where you can chose 10 flavors in your sampler. There are 14 flavors in the Nectar line.

http://www.mybariatricpantry.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=nectar&Submit=Search

Anyone can order from the store & you don't need a doctor's script to order.