Going on Vacation to the beach in a few weeks help?

Afields6780
Afields6780 Posts: 21 Member
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
I am going on vacation in a couple of weeks it is my husbands side of the family. My mother in law, his brother sister, and father. We are going to rent our yearly beach house. We get to bring our own food and cook our meals but i need advice on how to eat healthy when we all eat together any advice on what to do to not make anyone upset or put off that I need to eat differently this time?

ADVICE PLEASE!!! I am so nervous to gain all the progress i have made the last few weeks. I need to stay on track!!!

Thanks

Replies

• hey, i totally understand what your saying, i would just tell everyone right off the bat that you are trying to lose weight and really need encouragment and ask them to help you make good choices:)
  • Pattitude
    Pattitude Posts: 18 Member
    I had this exact same problem a few weeks ago. My family always takes turns cooking meals... I'd cook one night, my brother the next, my sister the next, and so on. I let them know ahead of time that I was dieting and that I might not be able to eat all or any of what they cooked, and made sure that I brought enough healthy foods to cover what meals I couldn't eat. My family understood and no one had their feelings hurt when I couldn't eat what they had planned on cooking. The only problem I encountered was the whole, "Poor Patty... she can't eat all of this delicious food" comments, which was annoying but overall didn't affect my motivation to eat well. It seems like you have the desire to eat well and stay on track while on vacation... if I could do it, I'm sure you can too!

Also, walking on the beach is a KILLER workout! I read somewhere that you burn about 15-20% more calories walking on sand as you do walking on asphalt or on a treadmill.

Good luck!
  • mrayniak
    mrayniak Posts: 38
    If you have a grill, you can't go wrong with grilled meat and veggies! or make kabobs. Bring some easy snacks: yogurt, light string cheese, pop corn, have some veggies and fruit cut up so its easy to grab....
  • hslobar
    hslobar Posts: 12
    I just went on a trip recently and had a lot of the same worries, but it actually turned out WAY better than I thought. I didn't have access to the internet during the trip, so I logged my food and exercise on paper. I didn't have any way of knowing exactly how many calories I was eating/burning, so I was pleasantly surprised when I logged it all and found out that I was only over my goal by about 100 calories a day! I'm at a 500 calorie deficit, so this means that I was still losing weight, just not as quickly.

I agree with everyone else that you should let your family know what's up. They will probably be understanding about it. And, I'm of the philosophy that a little bit of something can't really hurt that bad. If someone cooks a delicious but unhealthy dinner that you would like to try, don't deny yourself, just control your portion size. A quarter or half of a serving of something won't be a disaster. Be sure to bring fresh fruit and other healthy foods to fill up on instead. And get exercise! Walking on the beach is great--you can ask your family members to go with you and have a lot of quality time just walking and talking, or if they're not game for that bring some music and get up a little earlier and walk by yourself. If you know you'll be having something that might get you off track food-wise, throw in an extra 30 minutes of walking. It will balance out if you pay attention and are motivated. It's vacation--you can have a little fun and still stay on track too!
This discussion has been closed.