Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I LOVE garbanzo beans.

And I LOVE to roast them

Take some garbanzo beans, drain.
    Mix with olive oil, garlic salt, paprika, cumin

Bake

delicous

Do you use canned beans or pre cook yours? How long do got roast & what temperature?
  • bluelena
    bluelena Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Lentil soup

1 bag of dry lentils
    2 med carrots chopped
    1 onion chopped
    1 tomatoe chopped
    basil
    garlic
    and i add italian seasoning
    8 cups water

Put everything into a very large pot and bring to a boil reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour. You can add spinach right at the 55 min mark for some extra nutrition :)

Awesome. I LOVE lentils, and this is a very unfussy, adaptable recipe. I like to do
    a small cup of lentil soup as my afternoon snack with some goat cheese and crackers. Add a salad and a little more soup and you have a meal.
  • bluelena
    bluelena Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Ooops, double post.
  • meglet175
    meglet175 Posts: 98
    Options
    I make refried beans with pinto beans (3 pounds at a time!) in my slow-cooker, then freeze them in tubs. I throw them into any form of enchilada, taco, or quesadilla we make at home, and we often eat them as "dip" topped with pepper jack cheese and salsa. They are so yummy - much better than canned, cheap as dirt, and hardly any trouble to make.

The recipe is here:
    http://budgetbytes.blogspot.com/2011/08/not-refried-beans-275-recipe-031.html
  • lintino
    lintino Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Texas Caviar

½ onion, chopped 1(8 oz) bottle zesty fat free Italian dressing
    1 green bell pepper, chopped 1(15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
    1 bunch green onions, chopped 1 (15oz) can black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
    2 jalapeno peppers, chopped ½ t ground coriander
    1T minced garlic 1 bunch chopped fresh cilantro
    1 pint cherry tomatoes, quartered

In a large bowl, mix together all ingredients except cilantro. Cover and refrigerate 2 hours. Toss with desired amount of cilantro. Serves 6-10.

I love this recipe. Can be used as dip for chips or stand alone as a salad. I don't know the calories etc. for this. You can change proportions to what you like.
  • GangreneHeart
    Options
    I don't know if anyone posted this yet, but this cake has gotten a lot of great reviews. I am thinking about making it tomorrow. It is made with black beans and chocolate!

http://healthyindulgences.net/2009/05/healthy-chocolate-cake-with-a-secret/
  • mrswine
    mrswine Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    My favorite is bean dip guacamole. 2 cans canneloni beans, 1 avocado, 1 bunch cilantro, 1 teaspoon cumin, 2 cloves garlic, juice of 1 lime, salt and pepper. Put all in food processor and blend till smooth. So delicious!
  • mrswine
    mrswine Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Oh I also LOVE LOVE LOVE spinach and black eyed pea salad. It's a crowd pleaser too! I always serve it at parties. Here is the link. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ellie-krieger/black-eyed-pea-and-spinach-salad-recipe/index.html. Nom nom nom.
  • KateHill1981
    KateHill1981 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Black beans!! Drain them and rinse then add to anything! Salads, corn and tomatoes, eggs, Chicken and black bean quesodillas, by themselves with a little taco bell mild sauce, oh and black bean brownies if you have a sweet tooth (any packaged brownie mix, one regular can black beans-drained and rinsed- make a paste from your beans and half a can of water in food processor or blender and mix with brownie mix. Bake at recommended time on box and cook for a little less time than stated. Delicious!! My 12 year old and 6 year old love them and they even know that there are beans in them. :)

Good luck!
  • coopersmith99
    coopersmith99 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Meninasaudavel
    Options
    Bump! :D
  • Chicc
    Chicc Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Bump.....thanks :)
  • trackme
    trackme Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Everything looks soo yummy, some great recipes...:-)

Love hummus to dip veggies, but I don't use tahini... this is a good recipe

http://www.food.com/recipe/hummus-with-pureed-sesame-seeds-no-pre-made-tahini-here-86717
  • oldandhealthier
    oldandhealthier Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Car0lynnM
    Car0lynnM Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    bump
  • steppingstones
    steppingstones Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Beans are cooking!!
  • CLFrancois
    CLFrancois Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    My favorite is bean dip guacamole. 2 cans canneloni beans, 1 avocado, 1 bunch cilantro, 1 teaspoon cumin, 2 cloves garlic, juice of 1 lime, salt and pepper. Put all in food processor and blend till smooth. So delicious!

This made my day!
    Wonderful recipe, cannot wait to eat it ALL
  • Bberl
    Bberl Posts: 32
    Options
    Bump