Salt vs FAT weightloss

Options
All,
I get that excess salt causes water retention. I have yet to see anything that says it hinders losing FAT. I don't get why it's a terrible thing if I am 210 + 3 lbs salt induced water retention or 150 + 3 lbs salt induced water retention.

I understand if you have a medical issue related to salt you need to stay within limits (I have extreamly low blood pressure).

I understand that in the long term you need to limit your salt intake within limits to avoid medical issues that develop over time.

What I don't see is any articles written on why salt hinders FAT weight loss & why while losing weight, you should watch salt closely and stay within limits. Most diet programs seem to mention limiting salt intake while dieting. Too me, that just looks like a diet making sure you lose a lot of weight in the first week (water retention) & making sure you don’t yo yo during the diet due to water retention.

I am looking for a VALID internet article written on this subject. Not just internet junk from someone who thinks they know about nutrition.

In conclusion, please help me find an online article on salt & FAT weightloss, one that does not just focus on the “high blood pressure”, ”essential nutrient”, “which salt is better”, “salt is good for you, oh wait, it’s bad for you”, “It’s bad cuz it causes water retention (which doesn’t say why water retention is bad)”, ect.

Seriously … SALT vs FAT weight loss

Me

ps. I lost my first 75 (285 to 210) with probably a high sodium intake (didn't track), don't see why it matters for this round of weight loss (210 to 150).

Replies

• mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Can't help you sorry but I've never noticed anything saying eating salt stops fat loss. I hope you find what you are looking for.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    I have never tracked it, and I love my salt. I have cut back some due to cutting out most processed foods but I still salt most everything I eat. I was told unless you have high blood pressure not to worry about it.
  • Evilsick
    Evilsick Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Wow this is actually seriously interesting, I have been 'scared' of salt for a while...but I don't see why, nothing says I will gain/maintain....I'm going to keep tracks on this thread!
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I've never heard anyone say that salt prevents fat loss. Water retention, sure. We all know that. People are advised to limit salt while losing weight, so that they will not see extra water-weight on the scale. And of course, for the health reasons already mentioned, limiting sodium is important for heart-health reasons. But nobody's ever said that it stops you from losing fat.
  • bonniecarbtoo
    Options
    I don't think any articles take into account people with low blood pressure. I believe they all assume because you need to lose weight, you are hovering around developing high blood pressure (which happened to me, from low pressure to HIGH). I think that because people increase their eating, they also increase that sodium, not on purpose, but because they are eating more. So most of the articles and eating programs tell you to watch the salt. What I want to say is F__ my blood pressure, give me something that will get my *kitten* hopping to lose this weight.
  • laele75
    laele75 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I can tell you right now, eating a lower sodium diet makes it easier to eat less calories. I do not watch my fat intake as much as most, because my cholesterol was dandy when I was eating horribly, but I have high blood pressure and I wanted to get healthy period. Which meant cutting way back on sodium.

Which has made me struggle to meet my calories after I managed to banish every high sodium thing from my household. I do feel better, but especially if you have borderline high blood pressure, watch your salt. Now I am researching food with more calories and low sodium, trying to meet my calorie needs without blowing my sodium.
  • thecakelocker
    thecakelocker Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    People panic seeing weight gain after a sodium heavy day and come freak out all over the forums. I personally don't care.