"You'll gain weight from starving yourself"

Options
First, let me just preface this with the fact that I AM NOT AN EXPERT, but I am speaking this from my own experience and from the many posts that I've read as well as the videos I've watched.

People often think starving yourself is the easiest way to lose weight. And honestly, it definitely is. So then where does the "you'll gain weight from starving yourself" come from? Well, the thing is, I'm relatively sure that during the time period that you're starving yourself, you WILL lose weight. But as soon as you start eating normally again, the time it takes for you to recover that weight that you lost will be extremely fast. I know this because I tried fasting once for a week and lost 10lbs. I felt that I would be able to control myself in my dietary habits once I start eating again. Well, the thing is, once you start allowing your body food again, you have a natural instinct to eat an immense amount because your body is ravenous for food. Psychologically, it's very hard to control the hunger. Thus, while you may not be physically hungry, psychologically, you'll want to fill up that "void" that you may feel and interpret as hunger. And then because you've starved yourself before, your TDEE will have decreased by a lot as well (this will depend on how long you've starved yourself or ate very little below your BMR), and subsequently, you may end up being allowed to eat only half the amount of calories you ate before to stay at a certain weight. With that, you'll then not only gain back ALL that you lost, but you may also end up gaining a few more pounds before your body decides that it's no longer in famine and you'll be psychologically more stable with food again. But, this also puts you at a worse position than you were before you started dieting.

And therein lies where I think the "you'll gain weight from starving yourself" comes from.

I am aware that there are definitely a few people who have succeeded in losing and keeping weight off from starving, however, it takes an incredible amount of self-discipline (and you would also start having a rather unhealthy view of food), which I feel is often unrealistic to expect from yourself. So really, don't take your chances and think, "Oh, I'll be one of those few extremely self-disciplined people who is able to avoid binging once I reach my goal weight of lose that 20lbs." Cause chances are, you won't and you'll end up gaining even more weight.

Yes, you'll still need self-discipline to lose weight the healthy way (exercising and eating a couple hundred calories below your tdee), but with this, I believe that you're working more in line with nature as opposed to going against the natural flow of your body by starving yourself.

Replies

• kesslertg
    kesslertg Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Interesting post. I'm not sure how to define "starving" though. I guess it depends on person and activity level. This past week I consumed about 7,700 calories while burning 20,000. I'm a 206 lb man. Nutritional thermodynamics suggest that we cannot be in balance and lose weight. So I'm trying to run a steady deficit.

I've tried to keep my calories at or above 12,600 per week and increase my burn rate to 25,000 but that doesn't work. I get exhausted and weak and then resort to binge eating.

My problem is that I eat too much. So I've cut way back to about 1000-1200 calories per day. I'm hoping this approach works. My blog is declarewaronfood.wordpress.com in case you want more details.

Good luck with your journey. Tom
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Uh, you have to already have a pretty unhealthy relationship with food to try to starve yourself in the first place.

Second, you might lose weight while you're starving yourself but 1. you'll probably gain at first and 2. the weight you lose is all water and muscle. That's why people that are/have been anorexic/bulimic can and often do have severe muscular atrophy.

Third, most of the time people say you will gain on this site is when you're eating too few calories for a prolonged period of time. If you're eating way too little, but you're eating, your body is just naturally going to store everything because it needs it.

I do get your point though.
  • qpmomma1
    qpmomma1 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I fast for religious reasons, so I know what you are saying. Recently, I've been fasting from certain foods instead of food all together. Right now I am fasting from soda and pop. I'm only drinking water and green tea. I am still getting the craving so I am still able to deny my carnal self (religious reason for fasting), but I am not starving myself. I am hoping that when I allow myself to break the fast the craving will have subsided and I won't drink pop all the time anymore. We shall see.
  • DalekBrittany
    Options

My problem is that I eat too much. So I've cut way back to about 1000-1200 calories per day. I'm hoping this approach works. My blog is declarewaronfood.wordpress.com in case you want more details.

Have you tried eating at your TDEE - a percentage? There are good threads around here that give advice on that, tons of people do it and it works for them. :)
  • glitterbarbie222
    glitterbarbie222 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi. My name is Barb and I am new to the site. Im hoping you could explain something to me because Im quite confused. Why is it that once I record my exercise for the day it gets added to my daily calorie amount? I always thought in order to lose weight you have to burn more than you consume....right?
  • DalekBrittany
    Options
    Hi. My name is Barb and I am new to the site. Im hoping you could explain something to me because Im quite confused. Why is it that once I record my exercise for the day it gets added to my daily calorie amount? I always thought in order to lose weight you have to burn more than you consume....right?

I can help, I hope. Basically, MFP has given you a number and set a deficit in for you already. Let's say you're set to eat 1700 calories a day. This is a deficit designed so that you lose weight without having to exercise. So, if you do exercise, you're supposed to eat those calories back so you NET 1700 calories, that way you don't end up with too large a deficit.
  • dmlas777
    dmlas777 Posts: 15
    Options
    The reason you gain weight from starving yourself is because your body goes into starvation mode. This makes it hold on to every ounce of fat in your body, making you gain weight. Your body instead uses the muscle in your body, which then makes you lighter since muscle weighs more than fat. It is a very unhealthy way to lose weight and no one should try it. I do understand when people fast for religious reasons though since it's, well, religious. It is only unhealthy to constantly starve yourself though. If you fast for one day and then stop fasting, then you'll just lose weight. It's very hard though, because there will be temptations to start eating sugar since your body needs to have energy (sugar is the quickest source of energy) so you may go on a rampage and eat everything in the house. Basically all I'm saying is, don't starve yourself.
  • magpie0
    magpie0 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    If you disregard the water loss, if you return to a normal diet very slowly, couldn't you keep the weight loss?
  • qpmomma1
    qpmomma1 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    The reason you gain weight from starving yourself is because your body goes into starvation mode. This makes it hold on to every ounce of fat in your body, making you gain weight. Your body instead uses the muscle in your body, which then makes you lighter since muscle weighs more than fat. It is a very unhealthy way to lose weight and no one should try it. I do understand when people fast for religious reasons though since it's, well, religious. It is only unhealthy to constantly starve yourself though. If you fast for one day and then stop fasting, then you'll just lose weight. It's very hard though, because there will be temptations to start eating sugar since your body needs to have energy (sugar is the quickest source of energy) so you may go on a rampage and eat everything in the house. Basically all I'm saying is, don't starve yourself.

When I fast from food I normally do it on Sunday and I spend the day in prayer and reading the Bible (as well as attending the church service). When I break it I try to eat light. I used to do 7 day fasts and I lead myself up to it and broke it gradually so my body got used to digesting food again. You should always prepare your body for a long fast and break it gradually. If you fast for an extended period of time your digestive system "goes to sleep" so you need to gradually wake it up. I agree you shouldn't fast to starve yourself, it's a religious practice to deny your body so you can hear God more clearly.
  • ShoShoyi
    ShoShoyi Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Interesting post. I'm not sure how to define "starving" though. I guess it depends on person and activity level. This past week I consumed about 7,700 calories while burning 20,000. I'm a 206 lb man. Nutritional thermodynamics suggest that we cannot be in balance and lose weight. So I'm trying to run a steady deficit.

I've tried to keep my calories at or above 12,600 per week and increase my burn rate to 25,000 but that doesn't work. I get exhausted and weak and then resort to binge eating.

Good luck with your journey. Tom

I like the fact that you are counting your calories in amounts per week more than calories/day. I definitely agree with you that weight gain, or a lack of weight loss is usually due to eating too much. However, seeing as you're 206lb and also exercising very much, I'm not sure that eating 1000-1200 calories really is the best way. By eating so little, your body will feel that it's not getting enough food and thus become more "efficient" in burning your calories for energy. That is, while you will most definitely lose weight, you may also be slowing down your metabolism more so that before, you may have been able to eat 2200 calories to maintain your weight, but now, after eating only 1000-1200 calories/day for several weeks, your body becomes more efficient and only requires 1800 calories to maintain your weight. This also equates to a slower rate of weight loss. You want to eat the maximum amount of calories to lose weight so that you avoid your metabolism from slowing down. Personally, I found this video to be extremely clear on this concept, so if you have 30 minutes to spare, take a look at it!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHHzie6XRGk&list=FLAYVHDt_y8vARR5A-Iz87pw&index=3
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    These are great threads that explain your BMR, TDEE, what a good deficit is and why it works. Knowledge is power.

Here is good info:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/943139-weight-loss-cheat-sheet-ipoarm

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/937712-in-place-of-a-road-map-ver-3-0
  • ShoShoyi
    Options
    Uh, you have to already have a pretty unhealthy relationship with food to try to starve yourself in the first place.

Second, you might lose weight while you're starving yourself but 1. you'll probably gain at first and 2. the weight you lose is all water and muscle. That's why people that are/have been anorexic/bulimic can and often do have severe muscular atrophy.

Third, most of the time people say you will gain on this site is when you're eating too few calories for a prolonged period of time. If you're eating way too little, but you're eating, your body is just naturally going to store everything because it needs it.

I do get your point though.

Yes, I don't deny that I had a pretty unhealthy relationship with food. As for gaining weight from starving oneself (starving as in eating absolutely nothing), I can't say for 100% of cases, but I'm pretty much 95% sure that a person will not gain weight from not eating. Thermodynamically, it's just not possible. Yes, there may possibly be a sudden 0.2kg gain after a week of losing a 5kg. But overall, one will definitely keep losing when they deny themselves from food. However, I certainly am not condoning this method of losing weight because, as you said, as soon as we start eating normally (whether it's after complete starvation or an extremely low calorie diet), the body will naturally store everything as fat.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I have to say that I agree with everything the OP says. I experienced it myself. I was on a 1 1/2 year plateau from a 1200 calorie diet and eventually gained 20 lb back due to lack of self control and not being honest with myself about portion size. I was never in "starvation mode". I was simply eating too much and not admitting it, and this was due to depriving myself for so long. I developed binge eating habits that I've never experienced in my life.
  • ShoShoyi
    Options

Yes, that's certainly correct...to an extent. To lose weight, you need to burn more than you consume...BUT (and here's the big but that many people don't know) you still need to eat enough so that your body realizes that you are not in danger of having very little or no food around. Once your body realizes that, it will gladly offer up its fat for you to burn. Now, one major thing is that this misconception often leads to yo-yo dieting. Yes, you lose weight burning more than you consume; yes, during the time period which you eat very little (less than you're supposed to) you will lose weight, BUT, it's not sustainable. Let me repeat that again, it IS NOT SUSTAINABLE!! Sooner or later, you (and everyone does) gives in because the body's psychology need for food wins out and you will either binge or at the very least return to your normal dietary habits. And that's when you end up gaining much faster than you lost because your metabolic rate went down. Thus, you must eat enough so that your body feels safe to lose weight. It's like a person with very little money in their bank aren't as willing to donate money/spend money carelessly as a person with a load of cash in their bank.

Anyways, someone above posted these two sites which are quite helpful in determining exactly how much you should eat to maintain the maximum metabolic rate and at the same time lose the maximum amount of weight:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/937712-in-place-of-a-road-map-ver-3-0
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/943139-weight-loss-cheat-sheet-ipoarm
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    I have to say that I agree with everything the OP says. I experienced it myself. I was on a 1 1/2 year plateau from a 1200 calorie diet and eventually gained 20 lb back due to lack of self control and not being honest with myself about portion size. I was never in "starvation mode". I was simply eating too much and not admitting it, and this was due to depriving myself for so long. I developed binge eating habits that I've never experienced in my life.

I have been exactly the same, tried all the VLC diets going and always broke and ate my weight in brownies, and went "**** it, there is no point I can't stick to this", put back on all the weight I lost (if not more), got depressed and started starving again. Finding MFP and eating at a sensible, sustainable deficit has been life changing.
  • ShoShoyi
    Options
    If you disregard the water loss, if you return to a normal diet very slowly, couldn't you keep the weight loss?

As much as I don't want to admit to this, because I don't want to encourage people from doing this, yes, it's true. If you return to your normal diet very slowly (for example, adding 50-100 calories per week until you reach a normal amount of calories that people of your weight and height usually need to maintain), then technically they can keep the weight loss. I thought of doing this before, but then I thought, the time it takes you to finally return your metabolic rate to its normal rate would probably end up being the same as the time it takes for you to lose the same amount of weight without slowing down your metabolism to a crawl so why go the former route when you could take a slightly less painful and also MUCH MORE healthier one?
  • chatogal
    chatogal Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    interesting post, although the original poster made the rather obvious point that once someone has finished dieting they will go back to eating "normally" and will gain all the lost weight back again...now as I understand it, it was this eating "normally" that got them fat in the first place!! What they have to learn is how to eat "differently" so they maintain...and it is my personal belief that it dosnt matter how you lose the weight it will creep back on if you dont learn how to eat differently!!
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    You cannot gain weight from starving yourself, if you're actually not eating anything or eating VEW few calories you will lose weight a.k.a. anorexics.
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options

I have been exactly the same, tried all the VLC diets going and always broke and ate my weight in brownies, and went "**** it, there is no point I can't stick to this", put back on all the weight I lost (if not more), got depressed and started starving again. Finding MFP and eating at a sensible, sustainable deficit has been life changing.

You didn't gain weight from the VLC diet, you gained because you binged.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    You cannot gain weight from starving yourself, if you're actually not eating anything or eating VEW few calories you will lose weight a.k.a. anorexics.
    Did you read the post, or just the title?