thyroid issue

Options
Does anyone have a thyroid issue and have found a way to get the weight off? I had radiation on my thyroid and now I take medication daily to regulate. It doesn't seem to help at all. I find it extremely difficult to lose any weight no matter what I try.

Replies

• cjcarter77
    cjcarter77 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I take thyroid meds daily too. I hate to give you bad news but basically my endocrinologist told me " you can lose weight but you will have to work three times harder than someone without thyroid problems". It can happen, you just have to work your tail off! Don't give up!
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I hate to give you bad news but basically my endocrinologist told me " you can lose weight but you will have to work three times harder than someone without thyroid problems".

I've always assumed that if my dosage was right, it would be just as easy (and just as difficult) for me as for anyone else.....but maybe I don't mind working three times harder.
  • fresh_start59
    fresh_start59 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I had half of my thyroid removed. At first, I had a hard time staying awake, but once we got my meds regulated I was OK.

It's always been easy to blame my weight gain and slow weight loss on my hypothyroidism, my age, being post menopausal, etc. But the truth is, I was eating more than I was burning.

My problem is that I'm severely out of shape and extremely lazy. It doesn't take much exercise to wear me out and/or make my muscles sore. I think part of the soreness could be age, but mostly the problems come from being terribly deconditioned.

I recently got a Fitbit. I've been tracking my calorie intake and my calorie expenditure. It seems that calories in / calories out works just as it should. Eating less will put me below BMR. So my only other choice is to move more on a daily basis.
  • dedicated2014
    dedicated2014 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    If you're having issues bringing the weight off, you might want to talk to your endocrinologist and make sure that you're in the range you need to be. Even with meds, your metabolism may still be a little slower than someone that doesn't have hypothyroidism.

I dropped 35 pounds a couple of years ago after I started Synthroid. I cut out junk food, sodas, and didn't eat anything past 7 PM. I also picked up running, which seemed to make the pounds fall off. I was too tired to start out running a long distance, so I did 1/2 mile a day (or however much I could without stopping) and then walked the rest of the way to 1 mile. Eventually I worked up to 2 miles, then 3 miles, and so on.

Then I got lazy and gained back 10 of those pounds. Nothing but perseverance will bring the weight off, especially when hypothyroidism is involved.
  • ryllen1
    ryllen1 Posts: 2
    Options
    Hello, I am 53 and also on thyroid meds. I am also a liver transplant recipient. I need only to lose 12 lbs to reach and stay at my goal of 130, but I seem to just keep gaining. I try and eat well, but I must confess, I have a tendency to pick at things late at night. I try to snack on good things such as: celery and peanut butter, yogurt, fruit, but sometimes I reach for the breads and/or cereals. Ever since I returned home from the Mayo Hospital the beginning to 2013 I have gone from 95lbs to 142 in about 3 months. Medications can play a big part in weight gain, but I am sure with constant exercise and good eating habits a good weight can be acquired. Tomorrow I will begin a 45 min regimen of 15min floor exercise/ 15min walk / 15min cool down exercise at home again. I am here to encourage you on as well. God bless and keep up the good race!
  • Jilleelicious
    Jilleelicious Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Eat fermented foods!!!! They are good for the liver and gut. Sauerkraut is super easy to make. If you buy it in the store it won't do any good because it is pasteurized. There are a lot of how to videos on Youtube! Beet Kvass is also another great one. It is a blood tonic and it tones the liver.
  • dedicated2014
    dedicated2014 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I also have a weakness for breads and cereals. Try to replace the not-so-healthy breads and cereals with OK types. Instead of sugary cereals, try plain Cheerios (just be sure to pay attention to serving sizes) with some fruit like strawberries or bananas. Whole grain breads and oatmeal are good options too.