Thinking about getting a food scale...

Options
So I have been thinking about getting a food scale for awhile, and I finally decided to start doing research so I can get one for the next school year. Now, I would like it to be small and fairly unnoticeable, but still pretty accurate. I found the one below on Amazon, any thoughts? Thanks!

http://www.amazon.com/5000g-Digital-Kitchen-Postal-Scale/dp/B008F5GUQK/ref=sr_1_7?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1365989573&sr=1-7&keywords=food+scale

ETA: Also, I can't really afford a big, fancy one. I'm looking for something relatively cheap

Replies

• ShaniWulffe
    ShaniWulffe Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Anyone?
  • Kaylee_law_123
    Kaylee_law_123 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Looks like a good one, they are so beneficial. I was overestimating my food so so much!
  • Sarahmb1985
    Sarahmb1985 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    i picked up this one one Groupon

http://www.amazon.com/Escali-Pound-Kilogram-Digital-Scale/dp/B0051ZOJFQ

Variety of colors and it's really easy to store and operate
  • Oaeneo
    Oaeneo Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I use my food scale everyday. Weighing everything has really taught me what portions are and has allowed me to better guesstimate portions when I go out to eat. I would highly recommend a food scale. Mine is a cheap digital one from walmart.
  • cindybpitts
    cindybpitts Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I got a digital one from Walmart for $20 or $30 and it works just fine. It doesnt seem to be real big or noticeable.
  • SarahDavs
    SarahDavs Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    We have the Taylor Precision 37204014T Food Scale. It's very inexpensive. I like it and use it all the time. :-)

ETA: $4.48 + $2.01 shipping on Amazon
  • SJackson50
    SJackson50 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Looks like a good one, they are so beneficial. I was overestimating my food so so much!
    ^^this! I agree! I love my food scale and use it regularly. It really helps with accountability and portion sizes. I have a bigger one with a bowl, but keep it in the closet.
    Good luck on your journey!
  • johnkernmusic
    johnkernmusic Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I have the Cat Cora food scale and it is awesome!
  • anewme1202
    anewme1202 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I would suggest anyone to buy a scale. I started measuring and weighing all my food and it makes a huge difference. I bought a Starfrit one at Canadian Tire and it was $9.99. I've never had a problem with it and have had it for for 1 1/2 years and haven't had to change the battery (9 volt) yet. It's lightweight, compact and doesn't take up a ton of room.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/product_detail.jsp;jsessionid=Rrlh1BVvRGp9RyxjJd0b1pzYVH28TBn2r6mNsg2Zh5jww01wQKq3!1319031099?PRODUCT<>prd_id=845524443306118&amp;bmUID=1365992858300

The one you found looks pretty good as well. Hope that helps!
  • bluellies
    bluellies Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Food scale is a must, never really knew how much I was eating until I started using one. I bought mine at Aldi for 10 bucks, to store I slide it back into the box it came in that's on top of the fridge.
  • slim422
    slim422 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I use my food scale everyday. Weighing everything has really taught me what portions are and has allowed me to better guesstimate portions when I go out to eat. I would highly recommend a food scale. Mine is a cheap digital one from walmart.

This - right on for me too
  • ShaniWulffe
    ShaniWulffe Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much, everyone! You guys are all super helpful :)
  • krickeyuu
    krickeyuu Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Do or do not. There is no think. aka. Just Do it!
  • champagndrea
    champagndrea Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    You should definitely get one. I debated about buying one for awhile and finally just did.
    I use it ALLLL the time and I wish I had gotten it sooner. Mine was only $20 and it's small enough that I can keep it on the counter and not really notice it. It's one of the best things I've gotten!
  • moodyshannon15
    moodyshannon15 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I got my scale off eBay..really affordable!!
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Don't think about it. Be about it. Do it. It's worth it. You're worth it. What's there left to say? Get to the store.
  • AmandaReimer1
    AmandaReimer1 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I bought a cheap one from Wal-Mart, best investment! You need a food scale..not want! :)
  • dynamohum
    dynamohum Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Just bought one, 2 days ago. Huge difference, it makes things easier, I was over estimating. I am Canadian, Canadian Tire a huge hardware store just had a sale, I paid $10 for a $30 scale. I put 5 scales side by side and they all read the same, from an $80 scale to the one I bought. its great, stylish(for whatever thats worth) Its approx. 8" by 5", does fluids as well. Easy to clean and very accurate. Bought 2 one for our sail boat we stay on in the summer (the hardest time of the year). Goodluck
  • jerhow
    jerhow Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Harbor Freight has a small one that is $17 and it is perfect!