Thinking about getting a food scale...

So I have been thinking about getting a food scale for awhile, and I finally decided to start doing research so I can get one for the next school year. Now, I would like it to be small and fairly unnoticeable, but still pretty accurate. I found the one below on Amazon, any thoughts? Thanks!

http://www.amazon.com/5000g-Digital-Kitchen-Postal-Scale/dp/B008F5GUQK/ref=sr_1_7?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1365989573&sr=1-7&keywords=food+scale

ETA: Also, I can't really afford a big, fancy one. I'm looking for something relatively cheap

Replies

• ShaniWulffe
    ShaniWulffe Posts: 458 Member
    Anyone?
  • Kaylee_law_123
    Kaylee_law_123 Posts: 450 Member
    Looks like a good one, they are so beneficial. I was overestimating my food so so much!
  • Sarahmb1985
    Sarahmb1985 Posts: 11 Member
    i picked up this one one Groupon

http://www.amazon.com/Escali-Pound-Kilogram-Digital-Scale/dp/B0051ZOJFQ

Variety of colors and it's really easy to store and operate
  • Oaeneo
    Oaeneo Posts: 65 Member
    I use my food scale everyday. Weighing everything has really taught me what portions are and has allowed me to better guesstimate portions when I go out to eat. I would highly recommend a food scale. Mine is a cheap digital one from walmart.
  • cindybpitts
    cindybpitts Posts: 213 Member
    I got a digital one from Walmart for $20 or $30 and it works just fine. It doesnt seem to be real big or noticeable.
  • SarahDavs
    SarahDavs Posts: 161 Member
    We have the Taylor Precision 37204014T Food Scale. It's very inexpensive. I like it and use it all the time. :-)

ETA: $4.48 + $2.01 shipping on Amazon
  • SJackson50
    SJackson50 Posts: 282 Member
    Looks like a good one, they are so beneficial. I was overestimating my food so so much!
    ^^this! I agree! I love my food scale and use it regularly. It really helps with accountability and portion sizes. I have a bigger one with a bowl, but keep it in the closet.
    Good luck on your journey!
  • johnkernmusic
    johnkernmusic Posts: 91 Member
    I have the Cat Cora food scale and it is awesome!
  • anewme1202
    anewme1202 Posts: 70 Member
    I would suggest anyone to buy a scale. I started measuring and weighing all my food and it makes a huge difference. I bought a Starfrit one at Canadian Tire and it was $9.99. I've never had a problem with it and have had it for for 1 1/2 years and haven't had to change the battery (9 volt) yet. It's lightweight, compact and doesn't take up a ton of room.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/product_detail.jsp;jsessionid=Rrlh1BVvRGp9RyxjJd0b1pzYVH28TBn2r6mNsg2Zh5jww01wQKq3!1319031099?PRODUCT<>prd_id=845524443306118&amp;bmUID=1365992858300

The one you found looks pretty good as well. Hope that helps!
  • bluellies
    bluellies Posts: 82 Member
    Food scale is a must, never really knew how much I was eating until I started using one. I bought mine at Aldi for 10 bucks, to store I slide it back into the box it came in that's on top of the fridge.
  • slim422
    slim422 Posts: 104 Member
    I use my food scale everyday. Weighing everything has really taught me what portions are and has allowed me to better guesstimate portions when I go out to eat. I would highly recommend a food scale. Mine is a cheap digital one from walmart.

This - right on for me too
  • ShaniWulffe
    ShaniWulffe Posts: 458 Member
    Thank you very much, everyone! You guys are all super helpful :)
  • krickeyuu
    krickeyuu Posts: 344 Member
    Do or do not. There is no think. aka. Just Do it!
  • champagndrea
    champagndrea Posts: 21 Member
    You should definitely get one. I debated about buying one for awhile and finally just did.
    I use it ALLLL the time and I wish I had gotten it sooner. Mine was only $20 and it's small enough that I can keep it on the counter and not really notice it. It's one of the best things I've gotten!
  • moodyshannon15
    moodyshannon15 Posts: 39 Member
    I got my scale off eBay..really affordable!!
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Don't think about it. Be about it. Do it. It's worth it. You're worth it. What's there left to say? Get to the store.
  • AmandaReimer1
    AmandaReimer1 Posts: 235 Member
    I bought a cheap one from Wal-Mart, best investment! You need a food scale..not want! :)
  • dynamohum
    dynamohum Posts: 17 Member
    Just bought one, 2 days ago. Huge difference, it makes things easier, I was over estimating. I am Canadian, Canadian Tire a huge hardware store just had a sale, I paid $10 for a $30 scale. I put 5 scales side by side and they all read the same, from an $80 scale to the one I bought. its great, stylish(for whatever thats worth) Its approx. 8" by 5", does fluids as well. Easy to clean and very accurate. Bought 2 one for our sail boat we stay on in the summer (the hardest time of the year). Goodluck
  • jerhow
    jerhow Posts: 1 Member
    Harbor Freight has a small one that is $17 and it is perfect!
  • DawnEH612
    DawnEH612 Posts: 574 Member
    I love my food scale.. It scares me to know how much i was off with my food consumption (by too much) when i used measuring cups! I got mine for under $25 at Target or Wal-mart. Its electronic kitchen scale model: 93751 but it doesn't even have the brand on it, lol, i was just looking... Weird.
    it weighs in grams (my preferred method) or ounces/pounds. It also has a tare function. Its compact and stores easily and easy to keep clean as it has a flat glass surface with no crevices.
  • PurplePookie
    PurplePookie Posts: 85 Member
    I also got a $20 small digital scale from Walmart. Works great, doesn't take up much space, measures in grams, ounces and lbs. Really easy to use. One of the best investments I've made when it comes to eating and weight loss.
  • CrystalDreams
    CrystalDreams Posts: 418 Member
    i got mine at a grocery store. it works just fine for me
  • TesselCat
    TesselCat Posts: 74
    Putting my vote in for
    http://www.amazon.com/Joseph-TriScale-Compact-Folding-Digital/dp/B0091QO57S/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1365994205&sr=1-1&keywords=triscale

triscale1.jpg
    Don't have one, but I love how they look! And foldable! Totally stashable if you're low on counterspace.
  • richh963
    richh963 Posts: 78 Member
    I have a Digital nutrition scale which gives you all the info just like a food label, its made by perfect portions, bought it at bed bath & beyond its around $50. Ive had it for a few years still works fine.
  • 2FatToRun
    2FatToRun Posts: 810 Member
    I use my moms 1970 little white plastic one. She never even noticed I took it and never uses it. It is the size of maybe a grapefruit and i just put a sandwich bag on it and food on that to weigh it so I dont have to worry about bacteria getting on it or having to clean it every single meal or snack. Looks alot like this one below the one below is under 10 dollars at walmart

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-Diet-Scale/14964955
  • melfitnesspal13
    melfitnesspal13 Posts: 377 Member
    I didn't spend too much and bought the Biggest Loser kitchen scale at Bed Bath Beyond, with a coupon it was $15. It works great and has the ounces and grams, plus calibrates your container so you only are weighing the food, not the container. It is small, doesn't take up much space. It has been really helpful to understant portion control better, which I thought I did and was wrong. :smile:
  • tatd_820
    tatd_820 Posts: 573 Member
    I have a cheap, $5 scale that I got at Target. It works great! I love it and use it daily.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    I use mine all the time - I'm amazed at how much my estimates were off.

I bought this one (looks very similar to the one you're looking at).

http://www.amazon.com/EatSmart-Precision-Digital-Kitchen-Silver/dp/B001N07KUE/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1365995051&sr=1-1&keywords=digital+food+scale
  • JlenniferL
    JlenniferL Posts: 48 Member
    We use a escali daily. As well as measuring cups on our veggies, soups, stews ect.... It will keep you on track.