Numb toe?

Options
I've been doing kickboxing for about two months now and I feel great doing it. However, the last few times one of my big toes has been going numb halfway into my routine. Is it something to worry about? What could be causing that? It's definitely not shoes- I don't wear any. That wouldn't be part of the problem would it? I haven't ever worn them during kickboxing.

Thanks for any help you can offer!
Rusti

Replies

• cthomas1967
    Options
    I get numb toes from running. I think it's some kind of swelling in the foot from the activity that pushes on a nerve. With mine, I could push around on various spots and figured out that it was a nerve the runs under the big toe right in front of the ball of the foot. I could reproduce the numbness just by pushing on that spot. It seems to go away without problem every time if I don't run for a couple of days.

Keep an eye on it and make sure that the numbness goes away after your feet have a couple days of rest. If not, I'd see a doctor to get an opinion on it.
  • LettyM62
    LettyM62 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Are you right-handed, I mean right-footed? If you are, maybe your kicking foot is just taking the brunt of the work-out and your nerve endings are just inflammed. I have peripheral neuropathy and I get a lot of numbness on my hands and feet, because of inflammation, I think.

I'm not a doctor, that's just my theory. As a matter of fact my right foot has been numb for almost two weeks now, I don't worry about it so much anymore, it's just annoying.
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Try loosening your shoes - it worked for me at Zumba when my toes went numb. May not be so simple but worth a try!
  • sngnyrslp
    sngnyrslp Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    It might be from your shoes. I was running in really awful shoes and because they didn't fit me properly, my toes constantly slammed into the tips and actually turned one of my toenails purple. Maybe it's time for new sneakers?
  • PoeRaven
    PoeRaven Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    My 3rd and 4th toes on my right foot get numb when I run. Sometimes it gets so annoying I have to stop a minute to get the numbness to go away. My son, who is in Sports Medicine, says cthomas and Letty are correct about the activity causing pressure against nerve endings in the favored (right or left) foot. He says the best advice is to give your feet/toes a rest between workouts.
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    Mine go numb on the bike. Very annoying
  • gregayle
    gregayle Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    mine gets numb when i wear thin socks. try using a cushioned socks.
  • Sharont213
    Sharont213 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I have been experiencing both feet going numb and tingling about 10 min into any workout - regardless of the sneakers worn (I have several pairs for different types of activity in an attempt to stop it). I finally went to dr - cardiologist ran a test to make sure no vessel issue - podiatrist said it is a Neuroma - pinching of nerve between 3rd and 4th toes. I am picking up orthotics on Tuesday to wear with sneakers when working out, which is supposed to help me. I will let everyone know. My insurance covered 80% of the cost - if yours doesn't it may not be worth price but my situation was pretty bad so I am at least trying it.