Is 3 lbs a week weight loss still healthy?

Options
2»

Replies

• MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Being this early in your weight loss, that is not an unreasonable amount to eat. That said, the way that MFP is set up, you are supposed to eat back your exercise calories because your deficit to lose weight at a safe rate is already factored into your calorie goal. Not eating back the exercise calories is tempting because people assume that they will lose more this way. While this might be true for some, you can not only stall your weight loss this way, but you can also do damage to your body if you do it long term.
  • Maridinger
    Maridinger Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    ts normal when you first cut your calories to lose a lot of weight. I just lowered my calories after upping them to restart my metabolism and am losing around 1/2 a pound a day. But in 3-4 weeks its gonna slow down when my metabolism catches up. Its ok, Not unhealthy. But dont get discouraged in 3-4 weeks when your not losing as fast.
  • Maridinger
    Maridinger Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Oh almost forgot...if you are working off 600 calories then you need to eat some of those back. Its not good to go under 1200. If you eat 1200, work off 600, eat another 400-600.I always make sure my end calorie intake of the day is between 1000-12000 with my workouts
  • sexymuffintop
    Options
    You can do it like this yes. Plenty do, then they come back after several months of it and say they don't like their new body because they look the same as they did before, just smaller. Most people think by losing scale weight they will achieve a tight sexy new body. By losing too much scale weight weekly you are likely losing muscle along with your fat, this won't help you achieve a tight toned look after losing body fat. You need to work on preserving as much lean muscle as possible when losing weight. You do this by eating just below your TDEE and following a good lifting routine. Eating at 1200 a day and exercising will result in you losing muscle.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    You should be eating more. This is an excellent read, and should help you set your calorie goals:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/952996-level-obstacles-lose-weight-target-fat-easy

This :flowerforyou:
  • niumee1982
    niumee1982 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the replies. The link is so helpful !
  • eagertoloseweight1
    Options
    I want to lose weight, be toned and have a flat stomach and abs, how do I do this?
  • Mistyfied_MD
    Mistyfied_MD Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    The first week or two, the weight came off pretty fast for me too. I'm guessing some of that was water weight. Mine has slowed down to a more normal 1.5 or so pounds a week, so I'd give it another week or two to see if things even out. Congrats on your weight loss, btw!
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    BMR is your metabs rate if you were in a coma in bed all day. You have to multiply it by your activity level and that will be your maintenance then subtract it by 500 for 1lb a week.