Make friends with your scale.

Options
Even though the below inspiration was written for WLS patients, this information can apply to anyone trying to lose weight.

Weight Loss Surgery Support:
Daily Inspiration for July 10, 2010
Katie Jay, MSW

Make friends with your scale.

At first, after surgery, the scale is fun. The weight is dropping and you feel good. Over time, though, for some WLS patients, old eating patterns can creep back in, and it becomes harder to want to weigh yourself.

Fear of the scale sets in for some people, and avoidance takes over. But, one of the keys to long-term success is to know how much you weigh. Checking your weight every week is a great way to stay out of denial. If you start to gain, you can do something about it before the problem gets out of control.

Action for the day: Make a weight chart and start tracking your weight. If you go up more than a couple of pounds, take action to bring your weight back down again.

© 2007, National Association for Weight Loss Surgery. All rights reserved. Daily Inspirations are provided by the National Association for Weight Loss Surgery. Get our free report, How to Regain-Proof Your Weight Loss Surgery at .www.nawls.com

Replies

• reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    Great advice on charting your weight. I do this daily with the curves program once I reach my goal weight I will do it once a week. We do it daily , because our weight goes up and down every day, and the dietition at curves looks back at my food diary so we can see what triggers water retension or weigth gain.
  • stongue
    stongue Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    This was a big thing for me for quite some time. I actually hated the scale because it told the truth so I avoided it at all costs. Now I weigh myself once a week and am seeing progress. It took a while for me to realize that the scale isn't the scoundrel that I thought it was. Really it was my body telling the scale what to show. So the only way to be happy with the scale is to take care of the body:) Now it is like a thermometer to me, you know, how when you have a fever you have something wrong with you physically. Well, when my weight goes up I know there is something wrong with what I am doing and I use it as an opportunity to evaluate my goals and my habits. Great post and thanks for this great reminder.
  • metco89
    metco89 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    ahhhhh do i have to?? LOL great post. i don't know for me weighing even weekly gets depressing. For me if i just stick to my eating plan and weigh when i go to the Dr. , i see more progress and for some reason the amount of time it took to get me there doesn't matter but if i weigh to often and only see a pound or two gone, i feel like i am never gonna be able to do this and get to my goal. The mind is a very tricky thing!!!!!!!:smile::flowerforyou: