Weight Fluctuations...Why?

Options
Let me first say, I weigh myself frequently, like daily like 3 or 4 times a day. Mainly because it's just there and I want to step on it.

So earlier today I was 346. Went to the gym, weighed before I left, was 346. Get home eat, weight myself and I'm 349. Mind you, YESTERDAY when I weighed myself, I fluctuated between 344 and 347. It always seems to be that 3 lb cushion.

Anywho...this is deeply discouraging. I was 351 at the beginning of the month. I lost 7lbs like quick, now the fluctuations keep happening and I havent been able to get below 343.

I have no clue what to do.
I ate a salad a day last week, been trying to count my calories and I worked out 3 times last week.

I totally got toasted for juice fasting out here, so I've been trying to eat clean and pay attention at least...I'm not perfect, but sheesh. What is the deal? Is this normal?

Replies

• kazzsjourney
    kazzsjourney Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Our bodies will constantly fluctuate. Weightloss is not linear. It can be anything from water retention, dehydration, too much sodium, your cycle, hormones, digestion, higher carbs, following weight work etc etc. If you are going to weigh all the time it is best to accept that you will not always see a result you like and thats fine as long as the overall trend is that is going down (I do weigh daily but generally understand my body after 6.5 years at this)
  • hhayes06
    hhayes06 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Quit weighing yourself several times a day! It is absolutely normal to fluctuate up to 5 pounds a day. It all depends on if you've eaten recently, what you have been drinking or if you need to take a massive poop. If you must weigh yourself daily then cut it down to once a day and weigh at the same time every day. I try to weigh myself only once a week and when I do I make sure it is first thing after I wake up and that I am naked, all things created equal this way.
  • feelthelove1964
    feelthelove1964 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I don't have any real answers and i certainly won't judge you , well done for starting this , it isn't easy and i know how it feels to have the scales fluctuate. If it were me i would just weigh myself once a week because for me i would find it discouraging to keep going up and then down on the scales , maybe you can hide the scales for a week and then get weighed once a week :)

good luck
  • MissFayeT
    MissFayeT Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Weigh fluctuations are normal throughout the day, as it depends on food and metabolism. y constantly weighing yourself, you will panic, this is why MFP recommends weighing yourself oce a week, because you'll know how much you ahve lost. Think of it as a chocolate bar. You are avoiding temptation because you want to lose weight; think of the scales in that concept, try avoiding them, weighing yourself once a week and you'll know if you have lost or gained.
  • FluffyMcNutter
    Options
    Everyone fluctuates weight throughout the day. It's completely normal. Of course you're going to weigh more after you eat...even if you went to the gym. If you're doing any resistance work, then your muscles are grabbing on to water and protein to replenish themselves on top of the food addition.

If it's that discouraging to see the fluctuations, then you really need to either try to change your mindset so the fluctuations don't bother you, or you need to stop weighing yourself so frequently. Otherwise, it's going to continue to be discouraging. And that doesn't do anything to help you get healthier. Try to keep your eye on the prize - getting healthier.

Give your body a chance to catch up to the changes you're making. It doesn't know that you are trying to be healthier. All it knows is that everything is changing. It's going to need some to adjust and figure out that these changes are going to last. And then you will still fluctuate during the day. Even people who are at maintenance fluctuate throughout the day.
  • Textmessage
    Textmessage Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I don't get how people can weigh themselves before food, after food, before using the restroom, afterwards, water retention for various reasons and so on without realizing that there's a variable constantly introduced when weighing-in.

As mentioned above, weigh yourself under more specific conditions and less frequently. ;)
  • kbeech06
    kbeech06 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    If you want to weigh yourself everyday...pick the same time every day. Even then you will have fluctuations day to day. I weigh every day, mostly to see how certain foods, medicines, and my monthly cycle cause my weight to go up and down. But, I expect the fluctuations and don't let them bother me because I'm in this for the long haul. As long as I continue to see a downward trend...even if it is achingly slow at times, I know I'm doing things the right way.
  • lovingangel4uau
    lovingangel4uau Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I know you are eager to see those pounds drop quickly with all the effort you are putting in, that is only natural. My doctor told me everyone has a "weight buffer" that is the pounds our body will drop or raise through the day and even days. Our bodies are a wonderful machine doing everything to help us keep healthy. We are helping it along eating and exercising the right way. In that it needs time to process and burn level all the fluids in our bodies. Don't be to hard on yourself and give your body a chance to do its work. How long has the weight you have been on you? The best news is that doing all the right things its going to take you far less time than its been on you.

Don't depend on the scales all the time as numbers can disappoint you then we get depressed and then just making it harder for ourselves. Remember inches come off as well as all the fat around the internal organs all a plus.

So just be kind to yourself and enjoy the changes that will come and know they will. :)
  • TIMv4
    TIMv4 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    In the past the scale would drive me batty but this time around I'm taking the slow approach. I'm starting out near where you are and the fluctuations are even easier to happen. Just taking a shower would sometimes show a lighter number on the scale. Scale error rates are going to come into play too.

The mfp app gives me plenty of distraction as a goal tracker to fit foods, snacks and exercise into that daily calorie figure. I've been sticking to checking the scale about once a week. Normally that'd be Monday but I've holding off to Thursday this week as that'll be one full month I've been using the app.

I think most people find mornings to be a good time to weigh in. Don't put the scale where it's so easy to use or see. Out of sight, out of mind. Mine comes off the shelf once a week.
  • RAWRKITTY69
    Options
    Even after i met my goal my weight it still does that i go between 3-8lbs. Most the change is from water weight :tongue:
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Totally normal for weight to fluctuate a few pounds a day, which is why i only weigh in once every week or two. However, if you find that you really aren't losing any weight over the long term...
    I have no clue what to do.
    I ate a salad a day last week, been trying to count my calories and I worked out 3 times last week.

that might be your problem. your diary isn't open so maybe you are logging and eating under your goal, I don't know... but "trying to count calories" isn't going to do it, you have to actually consistently track, every day, everything you eat. I can eat a salad every day, but if I also go over my calories, it won't matter, I'm not going to lose. the only way to really know if you are eating the right amount to lose weight is to keep track.
  • allieemc2
    allieemc2 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I weigh my self frequetly for the same reason, its there so my brains like "step on it, maybe you've lost a bunch of weight" but in reality its the same or close to it.

When weighing yourself and trying to track progress do it at the same time everyday. I have morning weights that are usually smaller than my evening weights. I use my evening weights to track my progress. If you weigh yourself at the same time everyday, that would be your progress.

I still feel good when I see a low morning weigh-in number, because I'm keeping track of the times and weigh-ins day to day. It doesnt matter what time you do it, the key is just to weigh yourself at the same time. Fluctuations are normal.