Histamine Intolerance?

Options
vivek85
vivek85 Posts: 25 Member
Hi Guys,

My body is itching randomly for 2 weeks now, but It is not through out the day. Once I scratch, I get hives and a tiny red spots (looks like hair roots are swelling a bit) and it disappears in 5 mins. I afraid my diet is causing it. I should give a brief about my diet.

For last 3 months my food diary is almost identical on everyday, like bellow,

Breakfast : Wheetbix / Cereals with Soy milk
Lunch : Tuna sandwich
Dinner: Wholegrain Pasta with Tuna paste and tuna (90% of the time) (or) canned lentils (or) canned beans (or) canned chick peas (or) canned green beans.
Snacks: Lots of tea, whole meal bread
Water: at least 8 cups / 1 cup of warm water with lemon

I also went on a holiday to India and consumed mainly rice based foods. However, I felt nothing in India.

When I checked with my GP, he prescribed me Telfast (Hay-fever tablets) and if I stop the medication, it comes back within 12 hrs. The Doc asked me to continue the medication.

So now, my question is , is my diet causing this ? If so, vitamin C intakes can heal this naturally? what other things I can try to heal this naturally.

It would be great, if someone could show me some light!!

Replies

• SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    You should get an allergy test. Another idea is to take certain things out of your diet and see if the itching stops. I take Allegra every day. If I don't, I get huge patches of hives that will take up my whole thighs, or arms, or torsos. Have you started using any other new products that aren't food? Shampoo, deodorant, etc?
  • vivek85
    Options
    Thanks:) Ye Soap. But I went back to old one 2 days ago. Will test in this Easter break!!
  • thelowhistaminechef
    Options
    Hi there,

Wheatabix and soy milk are high histamine and inflammatory. Canned tuna is also very high histamine. Canned beans would also be considered too high histamine for those with hives/allergies.

I used to have hives/rashes and worse! Fixed it all through diet (and lost 35kg on the way).

The myfitnesspal app is great for keeping a mini food diary so I can stay on track :) but I haven't really had to worry about my weight since starting a low histamine diet in 2010. I've been off even antihistamines (as well as all meds) since 2012.

I find many people end up going really high histamine when they try to get really healthy. In fact most of us figure out what's wrong that way. That's because a healthy diet, done wrong, can be very high histamine.

Check out Dr Fuhrman's books for dietary advice and then maybe try a low histamine diet if you'd like to do away with the antihistamines. There's really little point in covering up the problem with meds when you could just as easily fix the diet :)

Oh, and antihistamines can make you fat - that's how I gained the 35kg to start with!
  • thelowhistaminechef
    Options
    Quercetin and vitamin c help with the histamine. But again, you might not need the help if you ingest less histamine to start with.
  • vivek85
    Options
    @thelowhistami: I really agree with you. Healthy diet in a wrong way. I can see how I stuffed up my body. For sure I am aware that I can fix it by diet. I will keep a variety in my diet with low histamine and also look in to my Vitamin needs. Thank you very much.
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I'd get an allergy test to rule any environmental causes, such as dust mites, mold, or pollen.
  • denezy
    denezy Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I have a very high histamine count and find soy does not work for me. Many protein powders make me react too.

Of course so does beer, but come on now. Let's not get crazy!

For some reason the canned items are raising a flag with me too. Turkey has been the greatest protein for me :)

Good luck!
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Histamines are produced when you have an allergic reaction to something. See an allergy Dr. and please get tested.. hives can be dangerous if your mouth/airway are involved.

Good luck and I pray you get relief soon!
  • vivek85
    Options
    Thanks Guys, I am going to check with a dermatologist soon (struggling to get an appointment. Hives are not in my face or air way, but every where else. You can write on my back. lol.. Feeling better for last two days. Thanks a lot for your advise, especially #TrailRunner for your prayer :)
  • leenisabel
    Options
    For those who follow a low-histamine diet, what foods do you regularly enjoy eating? I have a mild case of dermatitis and am just learning that I need to battle it from the inside... starting with a good diet. So, I'd love to hear any input from experts!
  • Lulzaroonie
    Lulzaroonie Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I get it when I drink certain brands of coffee. I get itchy around my mouth and nose, my top lip and around my nostrils. Then I come up in little blisters. It usually sets in while I'm STILL drinking the coffee, thats how bad it is...
  • iluvwdw
    iluvwdw Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I have been battling this consistently since Christmas :( Whole wheals covering my whole body for four months consistently without relief even with very high doses of prescription anti-histamines. I also during this time had to have an epi pen as my face lips and eyes were swelling too. (angiodema) I was miserable.

My dermatologist didn't help much and the allergist couldn't food test me because my whole body was covered in hives. I finally found relief with a naturopath. Here is what I did on her recommendation.

I cut out all wheat/gluten

cut out all processed foods. The only processed foods I eat are salad dressing and they have to be dairy, gluten, egg and soy free. Renee's honey mustard is good. Sometimes I eat french fries but not often. I bake them when I do.

Cut out all dairy. I mourned the loss of my cheese and yogurt.

No soy either. I just made a delicious stir fry with soy sauce and broke out again in hives everywhere.

If I eat anything processed, it has to have less than 5 ingredients in it. or none of the above foods. There are many different names for the above foods so learn to read labels carefully.

Cut out citrus fruits and no melons. No eggs either.

Chocolate in very minimal amounts.

I make my homemade sauces and things like hummus now and use all organic produce and veggies as often as possible.

So what do I eat? Chicken, salads, hummus, veggies like carrots, brocolli, asparagus cauliflower, red meat no more than twice a week. Steamed or baked fish.

Breakfast was most difficult since i can't have eggs or my fav strawberry smoothies. So I have mixed berry or blueberry or raspberries alone mixed with almond or hemp milk. Add in flaxseed and chia seeds. Raspberries are on some lists to avoid with hives but have the chemical querican?? sp

http://www.healwithfood.org/hives/foods.php here is some info on good foods.

Common hypoallergenic foods
    Below you find a list of foods that are generally considered hypoallergenic / have a low allergenity rating. The foods are listed by food type.
    Vegetables:
    Asparagus
    Beets
    Broccoli Brussels sprouts
    Cabbage
    Carrots
    Cauliflower
    Cucumber
    Fennel
    Green beans
    Kale
    Lettuce
    Parsnips
    Potatoes
    Pumpkin
    Rhubarb
    Squash
    Swedes
    Sweet potatoes
    Turnips
    Zucchini
    Legumes:
    Lentils
    Black beans
    Kidney beans
    Garbanzo beans
    Navy beans
    Lima beans
    Pinto beans
    Green peas

Fruits and berries:
    Apples
    Apricots
    Bananas (that are not treated with ripening chemicals)
    Blackcurrants
    Blueberries
    Figs (cooked)
    Melon
    Peaches (cooked/canned)
    Pears
    Plums
    Prunes
    Redcurrants
    Grains and cereal:
    Amaranth
    Buckwheat
    Quinoa
    Millet
    Rice
    Tapioca flour
    Teff

Meat:
    Buffalo
    Chicken (organic)
    Deer
    Elk
    Frog legs
    Lamb
    Organic red meat
    Rabbit

Sweeteners:
    Maple syrup
    Brown rice syrup
    Carob

these are all from this website http://www.healwithfood.org/

Keep in mind, however, just because these foods are mostly hypoallergenic, you may react to some of them. I keep a food diary and whenever I add another new food I haven't had recently, it is the only new food at the space of once every seven days. Sometimes it takes me a few days to react to a food.

Breakfast is the hardest meal to replace I find. You can try oatmeal but make sure they are pure, uncontaminated oats. And introduce them one at a time to see if you react to them.

I have had to completely overhaul my eating and it is going pretty well but am thinking I may have to be on an elimination diet for the rest of my life. Researching histamine intolerance might help. I don't think this goes away.

On the upside, my digestion is better, less congested and am losing weight. Slowly but surely.

Also I found out that when I had hives, and I took any NSAIDS such as Ibuprofen or even tylenol it increased my allergic reactions. Face swelling, etc. I am now off ALL meds.

Sorry its long. hope this helps.
  • Debbiedebbiey
    Debbiedebbiey Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • GrungeHobbit2013
    GrungeHobbit2013 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Very informative! Since I am dealing with the same thing as you are, this helped me a very lot. Thank you for putting your time into this post.
  • amblight
    amblight Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Hi Guys,

My body is itching randomly for 2 weeks now, but It is not through out the day. Once I scratch, I get hives and a tiny red spots (looks like hair roots are swelling a bit) and it disappears in 5 mins. I afraid my diet is causing it. I should give a brief about my diet.

For last 3 months my food diary is almost identical on everyday, like bellow,

Breakfast : Wheetbix / Cereals with Soy milk
    Lunch : Tuna sandwich
    Dinner: Wholegrain Pasta with Tuna paste and tuna (90% of the time) (or) canned lentils (or) canned beans (or) canned chick peas (or) canned green beans.
    Snacks: Lots of tea, whole meal bread
    Water: at least 8 cups / 1 cup of warm water with lemon

I also went on a holiday to India and consumed mainly rice based foods. However, I felt nothing in India.

When I checked with my GP, he prescribed me Telfast (Hay-fever tablets) and if I stop the medication, it comes back within 12 hrs. The Doc asked me to continue the medication.

So now, my question is , is my diet causing this ? If so, vitamin C intakes can heal this naturally? what other things I can try to heal this naturally.

It would be great, if someone could show me some light!!

Soy, whole grains, tuna (especially canned), acidified or fermented milk products (don't know what you use in you tuna salad), beans and lentils (especially canned) are all high histamine foods. If you have histamine intolorance, you should not have these as staples in you diet at all. And vitamin C does not cure histamine intolorance.

The longer you go with histamine intolorance, the more symptoms you'll develop. My mother has suffered from it for many years, and has developed many forms of urticaria because of it - very notable water induced, temperature induced and stress induced. Also, many severe food allergies (and anaphylactic shocks as a result), inhabilitating migraines.

When she was diagnosed, it was like a switch went off, she didn't realize that a constant state of allergic reaction wasn't actually normal, and she suffers from her other symptoms much less often now. She takes 2-3 daily tablets of extremely strong antihistamines (which each are 10times the mg of what you can buy with no prescribtion) + she of course has her epipen and migraine drugs too
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Try eliminating soy and tuna (one at a time) and see how that does. I have food allergies, anything from tomatoes to sharp cheddar, to pork (some amino acid), but I can eat them all unless I consume too much, and push the histamines over the threshold creating a reaction. It doesn't help that I have environmental allergies like hay fever so at some times of the year it can be worse.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    This probably has nothing to do with your issues but I just wanted to ask have you considered the fact that tuna has mercury and you probably shouldn't be eating quite so much of it? Try to eat other fish like salmon etc instead to lessen the risks.