Celery

Options
I don't mind celery and the crunch sort of helps with the urge to munch on salty foods like chips. However, I notice my tongue feels a bit numb after I eat it. Is that normal?

Replies

• neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    no idea if it's normal.. I cannot stand the stuff. Can't even be in the same room as it because of the stench it makes.

sometimes adverse reactions in the mouth, e.g. tingling, can be a sign of a food allergy or intolerance. Never heard of numb before though....?
  • iclaudia_g
    iclaudia_g Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I don't mind celery and the crunch sort of helps with the urge to munch on salty foods like chips. However, I notice my tongue feels a bit numb after I eat it. Is that normal?

Just found this - so it could be a slight allergy: http://whatallergy.com/2011-04/celeryallergy
  • iclaudia_g
    Options
    no idea if it's normal.. I cannot stand the stuff. Can't even be in the same room as it because of the stench it makes.

sometimes adverse reactions in the mouth, e.g. tingling, can be a sign of a food allergy or intolerance. Never heard of numb before though....?

It feels like my mouth is full of something spicy - so I am guessing that sensation is like the tingling in an allergy. My tongue almost feels thick right after I eat it.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    that's really interesting about celery allergy, I've never heard of it before.... and interesting they liken it to peanut allergy, because I have a very strong aversion to both peanuts and celery, and I have other allergies, but not to those (well I suppose I may have but I've never been able to stand to eat them to find out (though obviously Im not so severely allergic as to go into anaphalactic shock just from touching them
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I only recently read about celery allergies, after seeing a warning of "contains celery" on some soup and googling why on earth that would need to be on there, I had no idea it was so far up the list of allergens!

What you describe sounds like my reaction to walnuts, which is a mild allergic reaction.
  • cricketblue99
    Options
    My son has the same reaction to walnuts. He says his tongue starts to feel hot and tingly, so I would imagine the celery is going to be a mild allergy for you. (I'm no doctor, but it sounds logical.) That's a bummer because I completely understand the need to get past those "crunching" cravings! Good luck to you!!!!
  • boroko
    boroko Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Sounds like an allergic reaction. I'd just avoid it and snack on raw peppers, carrots, zuchini etc. My son has the same thing with apples. He's fine with cooked apple but raw ones (also peaches and cherries) cause a tingling reaction. He uses Piriton to calm the tingling and it works pretty quickly. Also if he rinses his mouth with lots of water it helps to get rid of some of the feeling.
  • iclaudia_g
    Options
    I only recently read about celery allergies, after seeing a warning of "contains celery" on some soup and googling why on earth that would need to be on there, I had no idea it was so far up the list of allergens!

What you describe sounds like my reaction to walnuts, which is a mild allergic reaction.

I'd never heard of it either... I wonder if I should not eat it though?
  • iclaudia_g
    Options
    My son has the same reaction to walnuts. He says his tongue starts to feel hot and tingly, so I would imagine the celery is going to be a mild allergy for you. (I'm no doctor, but it sounds logical.) That's a bummer because I completely understand the need to get past those "crunching" cravings! Good luck to you!!!!

I know it's the one thing that helps with cravings and keeps me busy for a while chewing LOL Thx!
  • iclaudia_g
    Options
    Sounds like an allergic reaction. I'd just avoid it and snack on raw peppers, carrots, zuchini etc. My son has the same thing with apples. He's fine with cooked apple but raw ones (also peaches and cherries) cause a tingling reaction. He uses Piriton to calm the tingling and it works pretty quickly. Also if he rinses his mouth with lots of water it helps to get rid of some of the feeling.

Yea it's been at least 30 minutes since I ate it and my tongue still feels like when the novacaine the dentist uses is just about to wear off. I was trying to eat more celery through the day to help with staying full. Guess I can just go back to more protein drinks.
  • teachervirginia
    teachervirginia Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love salsa and chips. But chips are my downfall because once I get started I can't stop. So what I do is get my portion of chips (according to the package) and then cut some celery sticks and eat salsa. The combination of chips and celery fill me up and satisfy my appetite for chips and salsa.

As for your reaction, I've never heard of that, unless it is distressing to you, I would not cut out celery from your diet. Celery is a great vegetable that is filling and have a lot of fiber.

Blessings to you,
    Virginia
    "The fear of not succeeding should not stop you from trying."
  • KimberlyDCZ
    KimberlyDCZ Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    It does sound like an allergic reaction, however there is a condition called Geographic Tongue that you, or some of the others who have a reaction may want to look at. I have this and my tongue hurts (feels like I'm eating something sharp) when I eat things with a lot of MSG or citric acid. Afterwards, irregularly shaped white spots appear on my tongue. For years I thought this was an allergy but it's not. I DO think I'm allergic to strawberries as I sometimes break out in a mild rash near my mouth or other areas on my face. Does anyone else have this reaction?
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

I'd never heard of it either... I wonder if I should not eat it though?

I don't think it will cause you any harm, my walnut allergy doesn't get worse the more I eat, it seems to get to a level and stop. I'm not a huge fan of them, but I won't not eat a carrot cake or something because it has them in it. Up to you, if the sensation outweighs the enjoyment/utility of eating celery, I'd cut it out.
  • iclaudia_g
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I think I will see how eating celery through the week goes. I noticed my face got itchy but I had just got done exercising and when I sweat I itch sometimes too so that was not a good gauge of whether it was the celery or the sweat LOL
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    I get a little numbness, but not enough to turn me off celery.
    Dang, you just reminded me that I forgot my SNACK today!!!
    :grumble:
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Yes, I get a little numbness or tingling. It's a mild allergy. It doesn't stop me from eating celery all the time.
    I get the same thing from the mold on brie cheese. I keep eating that too. :laugh:
  • iclaudia_g
    Options
    I get a little numbness, but not enough to turn me off celery.
    Dang, you just reminded me that I forgot my SNACK today!!!
    :grumble:
    I hate when I forget part of my lunch/snack. :(
  • iclaudia_g
    Options
    Yes, I get a little numbness or tingling. It's a mild allergy. It doesn't stop me from eating celery all the time.
    I get the same thing from the mold on brie cheese. I keep eating that too. :laugh:

I'll have to see if the mold on brie cheese gives me any reaction.
  • libertygirlfla
    libertygirlfla Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    It may be a sensitivity to pesticides or preservatives that are sprayed on the fruits and vegetables. I have a problem with non-organic cherries, but not organic ones.