Try Finding a Meal i can Actually Eat!!!

Options
So basically i have about a bagillion allergies and simply cannot find many foods that i can actually eat to create variety in my diet....does anyone have any suggestions that fall within the following criteria (these are all my allergies not just 'foods i dont like')

Vegan
Gluten Free (im coeliac)
No rice
No potatoes
No spices (allergic to pretty much all of them)
No mushrooms
No pomegranates
No nuts
No goji berries
No raw veggies (my stomach reacts to them and make me throw up)
Cant have too much salt as i have a degenerative heart condition (from being sick when younger)
Generally needs to be high fiber because i have digestive issues (again, a legacy from illness)

Yep...i think thats about it...i really feel like im ending up eating the same thing all the time now

Any help welcome!
Thanks so much!

Replies

• pocketmole
    pocketmole Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Baked eggplant with homemade marinara sauce? Black bean burgers with avocado (or skip the avo if it ties into one of your allergies)? Chickpea salad with diced cucumber and fresh herbs? Gluten free oatmeal? Homemade vegetable soup? Scrambled tofu?

You have it rough, that's for sure!
  • tiddlebit11
    tiddlebit11 Posts: 182
    Options
    Thanks theres a couple of gooduns

Not sure about oatmeal yet though....1 in 5 coeliacs react to it and i havnt tested it yet as im not well enough to try at the moment

thanks though!
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what GF pasta is made with, so maybe you can't have it, but I made a simple and tasty dish today;

In a pan on medium-high heat start to cook garlic until it's beginning to brown with a small amount of oil. Turn down heat to medium and add white fish (was cod in this case) chopped into small pieces, maybe 1'x1' (make sure even size). Put a lid on top, and start to chop cherry tomatoes into quarters. I used overripe ones, so they cooked really well. Add them onces chopped up, and also add any herbs you like - I love basil and parslea. Here you could also add snap peas or more greens to cook and add in. Once the fish is starting to fall apart you know you're done. I had this mixed into GF pasta, but you could alternatively have it with... hmm... that's a hard one. I am not sure what you tend to have as a carb. You could of course make this more into a soup and add sea weed, stock (or make stock since you have many allergies) etc :)

Get a bunch of ingredients you CAN have and play around.

edit: p.s. I love garlic so much so always have 2+ cloves in everything I cook (which is only ever for one hehe)
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Stir-fry with Quorn/tofu/soya and lot's of veg - peppers, onions, mange tout, carrot, broccoli, cauliflower, courgettes, beansprouts.

Is vegan a choice, or a necessity?
  • JessHealthKick
    Options
    oh another one I thought of, my mum used to often mix a bunch of different beans (soaked or tinned) and mash them lightly with some tinned tuna and made them into little patties by grilling them or lightly frying them. We had Japanese bread crumbs on the outside, but I don't think they're necessary at all. Have it with and cooked veggies (pumkpin maybe?) also mashed and mixed in.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    If she's vegan I'd say the fish is a no-no!

How are you with lentils? I love those puy lentils, the fat green or black ones. They are really good tossed in a salad dressing.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,670 Member
    Options
    Tough list.

Soup au pistou. Essentially vegetable soup with a dollop of pesto in it. Skip the pine nuts and cheese when you make the pesto.

Stir fried tofu with black bean sauce and veg.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Fagioli all'Uccelletto

1 pound dry white beans (navy, Great Northern, cannellini)
    1/2 cup olive oil
    2 chopped tomatoes or a 14-16 ounce can (diced or whole--they'll break down when cooking)
    2-3 cloves garlic, or to taste
    2 tablespoons rubbed sage, or to taste

Soak beans overnight, then rinse, cover with water, and simmer until soft. Drain, reserving 1 cup of cooking liquid. While beans are off draining, put olive oil in the pan the beans were in and sautee garlic until fragrant and beginning to turn golden. Add beans, tomatoes, and sage, and some or all of reserved cup of cooking liquid (much depends on how juicy your tomatoes are). Simmer until flavors are blended and beans are to the softness you like--some people like the beans to retain their shape, I prefer them to mush up a bit. Add salt and pepper to taste if you use them.

I like to serve in bowls, along with crusty bread and red wine, but it can also be used as a side dish in smaller portions.

Note: it sounds like a lot of olive oil, but it's a major part of the dish's flavor and olive oil is good for you. If you reduce the amount, don't go below 1/4 cup. Also, for a quicker version, you can use canned beans--but starting from dried lets you control the sodium better and I think leads to a better dish.
  • youcantfoolme
    youcantfoolme Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    fruit salad, :smile: :smile: eggs and dairy, tapioca and pudding comes to mind. :smile:
  • painfreekitchen
    painfreekitchen Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey

Just wanted to say that we have almost the exact same allergies. No dairy, soy, gluten, raw veggies, tomatoes, peanuts, rice, potatoes etc etc.

However, the one thing that I did bring back was protein. Not sure if you're vegan for ethical reasons or because meat makes you sick (it does for some people so I understand). But with all of our allergies, I was afraid I wasn't getting the nutrients I needed. So I started to eat wild caught fish. And then moved to local, grass-fed beef. I only buy from local farmers that I trust are treating animals humanly (no factory farm animals).

Also, you might want to check out paleo. That's how I eat. I know that might seem very meat heavy, but I have found a lot of pescaterians (sp?) that eat paleo just fine. I switched officially last year and it's been life changing. My allergies are much milder now (if I get "glutened" by a small cross contamination it's not that bad). Also my seasonal allergies and asthma disappeared.

Anyway, didn't mean to get on a soapbox :) Just wanted to say I know what you're going through. Allergies suck.
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Can you have sweet potatoes? Totally different species than regular potato so just wondering. I love them!
  • tenintwenty
    Options
    Cooked veggies and beans over quinoa?
  • elektradarling
    elektradarling Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    So basically i have about a bagillion allergies and simply cannot find many foods that i can actually eat to create variety in my diet....does anyone have any suggestions that fall within the following criteria (these are all my allergies not just 'foods i dont like')

Vegan
    Gluten Free (im coeliac)
    No rice
    No potatoes
    No spices (allergic to pretty much all of them)
    No mushrooms
    No pomegranates
    No nuts
    No goji berries
    No raw veggies (my stomach reacts to them and make me throw up)
    Cant have too much salt as i have a degenerative heart condition (from being sick when younger)
    Generally needs to be high fiber because i have digestive issues (again, a legacy from illness)

Yep...i think thats about it...i really feel like im ending up eating the same thing all the time now

Any help welcome!
    Thanks so much!

Wow you poor lass, I'm severly intolerant to onion leek and chive, mildly intolerant to garlic. Its a nightmare finding the right stuff to eat without any of those ingredients.....I also am a little intolerant to bread so don't have it all the time.

I could recommend things like free from gluten pasta, I find those quite tasty, and will eat them at home instead of normal pasta all of the time, also the free from spaghetti is good too. You could try something mild like the pasta with a bit of olive oil and herbs and whatever vegetable/meat you can eat, its nice with bacon and peas, you could add a dairy lea triangle or which ever soft cheese you eat to boost it up a bit. Of course you would have to look for the one made from corn and not rice as I see you are unable to eat rice too. I really feel for you! If I think of anything else I will let you know.

I also have corn bread, its like a cracker but made just from corn, and you can have anything on those, I've not found anything that doesn't taste nice on them, you could have pate, houmus, all sorts within your allergy limits of course. I have them with nutella but now I'm back on my calorie counting I have to limit that somewhat!!!

Like what another person has said protien can be good, nothing wrong with the occasional steak if you can't eat anything else......Good luck xx

EDIT: Just realised you are vegan sorry!!! If its by choice though with your allergies you might consider a change with all your limits.......but there is plenty of non meat meat around I think but I don't know alot about that.
  • tenintwenty
    Options
    Wait? You do dairy and corn? No problem. Polenta! Corn cakes! Tamales (cheese only)!
  • tenintwenty
    Options
    Anything oat based. Home made oatmeal cookies and quick-breads or muffins made with oats or oat flour only. You can buy oat flour or make it in a food processor using dry oats.
  • evnevelle
    evnevelle Posts: 13
    Options
    Gluten free oat, berries, fruits? Juice your veggies (not high in fiber but meh) or make smoothies, or do you react badly to that, too? Sounds like you should become a fruitarian :)
  • JessHealthKick
    Options
    If she's vegan I'd say the fish is a no-no!

How are you with lentils? I love those puy lentils, the fat green or black ones. They are really good tossed in a salad dressing.

ah yeah my bad, totally missed that. How on earth you can get enough protein I don't know. My sister has been vegan for some time but in the end she now needs to be eating fish to get more protein in her diet. You can get fish from sustainable sources if you look carefully. Fish are just fill of goodness, but I understand if there is an ethical thing. Everyone is able to make their own decisions :)
  • tiddlebit11
    tiddlebit11 Posts: 182
    Options
    Thanks

My vegan diet is for ethical reasons that i refuse to give up...basically, for me now, if someone asked me to eat meat or an animal product i feel like its the same as them asking me to shoot myself in the face...it just doesnt even register in my brain as a question

So sorry guys but anything with animal products in it is not going to happen

Also...most gluten free products, including the pastas and things, have either rice in them or things like potato flour so i cant eat them :(

But thanks anyway for the idea
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    Fajitas should work. Sautee veggies you like in Pam and eat in corn tortillas. You can also make enchiladas with soy protein.