It's decided...

Options
I've have finally picked a date to quit smoking, July 15th. Just need to do it cold turkey and get it over with. I've been smoking for a good 10 yrs (since I was 16) and not only for the sake of my health and my kids, I decided it would greatly help me complete the lifestyle change I need to make a better me. I know it will help with my energy level and will help me get through exercises a little easier. I think the only thing I'm scared of is the fear of eating as a replacement. I have quit cold turkey 3 other times before with each pregnancy, so I know it can be done. Just worried if I don't have the pregnancy as an excuse to eat all the time, I'll gain instead of lose. I could use all the support and motivation I can get!

5 days and counting!!!

Replies

• TabiHerbalifeCoach
    TabiHerbalifeCoach Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I am addicted to celery- plain by itself, it helps me when I get into a mindless eating phase, its cruchy like chips, but cool if i eat it right out of the fridge, i know not everyone will like celery plain, but it helps me :D
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking in April and did put on 6 pounds which isn't too bad (and experts say you'd have to gain 50-100 pounds to offset the benefits of quitting!).
    The thing that got me was how long it is taking my metabolism to adjust. I have finally gotten the 6 pounds off again (so my ticker is right again!) and I plan on seeing the numbers go down.
    I almost got discouraged but I hung in there--even though my weight went up I feel SO much better! I have more endurance and I smell better, too!
    I started taking short walks when I had a bad craving and that helped keep things in check. Now I walk a LOT because I found out I love it!
    Please quit--it is worth it--both for yourself and for your family!
  • LoriT129
    LoriT129 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I know it is difficult because I have done it 4 times! Don't worry about things that haven't happened yet. It sounds like you have your mind in the right place to make a better you and you are obviously mindful of the "mindless" eating. If you do find yourself wanting something to eat just eat something healthy. Pretty soon you won't even want to eat that as a replacement. You can do this! Don't let the effects of cigarettes have control over your mind OR your body! Addiction to nicotine is one of the hardest addictions to break but it CAN be done!
  • mchandler67
    Options
    Good luck to you!!! I quit July 5 and that's what got me here to MFP - I was afraid that I would quit and then start gaining more weight. I think as long as you log everything and keep exercising you are going to find that you will be okay. I'm already enjoying the benefits of not smoking and it's only been 5 days - I don't have to hide (closet smoker), I smell good (except maybe from my workout sweat - ha ha), I have more energy, I'm saving money, the list is endless. I also decided I can't have a beer til I lose 20 lbs but I'm willing to loosen that one up if necessary - I just figured beer might trigger a smoking craving and I want to make sure I've totally kicked the habit.

I wish you the best - you can do it.

p.s. one thing you will definitely notice on day 1 is that a lot of people smoke - I was watching cars go by and it seemed like everyone was enjoying a cigarette and I felt like I was missing out - that feeling went away quickly.
  • khk2010
    khk2010 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Quitting smoking is THE best thing I ever did for myself. I will admit it is also the hardest thing I've ever done. I quit 3 times before I was finally able to quit for good. It finally stuck. I smoked for over 20 years when I quit. It is 20 years since I quit. You can do it. Keep a goal or image in mind to help you get over the cravings and keep going. Your body will thank you. Your family will thank you.