Recently switched to TDEE-20%! Questions about metabolism.

Options
Hi MFP! I have been a long time member and user of the site. For as long as I can remember I have been tracking my calorie intake through here aiming for a low 1200. I am now realizing this is too low for me as I have done more research into how the body works and my own energy output.

I am 5'7" and weigh 140. I just want to lose a handful of pounds while mazimizing muscle growth. I have a BMR of about 1462 and an estimated TDEE of 2266. With a 500 cal to 20% deficit, I have decided to up my calorie intake to 1700-1800 a day.

My question has to do about metabolism and how my body will react to the new influx of food. How long should I expect it to take for my body to go "wow I'm not starving, I can let go of this fat!" and speed up to keep up with my new calorie intake? How long can I expect to gain/be bloated since starting this increase?

Love to hear all thoughts.

Thanks,
Kayla

Replies

• rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I don't know how much exactly you are looking to lose, but if it is a handful then you might want to go TDEE-10% and hit your protein goal. -20% is for people who have more than 20 lbs to lose. I myself will be shifting to -15% in another 5 lbs.

I gained a few pounds in water weight which quickly subsided. Honestly, you could probably get away with eating maintenance + weight lifting, the tone up would naturally make you look thinner (but that is just my suggestion). It is normal for people who have eatten at 1200 for an extended period of time to gain a bit when they shift to TDEE.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    This is a good starting point to read:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/521728-upping-cals-what-to-expect-why-you-need-patience

It is important to be prepared that the scale may go up before it goes down - this is mostly due to increased volume of food in the body and water weight so don't let it discourage you.

If you've been eating a 1200 for a long time your metabolism may well be slowed down so your body considers that to be your TDEE. Therefore it may take some time for your metabolism to get back to the levels it should be.
  • kaylakaminski
    Options
    Thanks so much. I am no longer afraid of eating more and am more concerned with my macros (protein specifically) than my calories being low. I am excited to fuel my body properly. And will definitely give that link a look over.

I wil try not to freak out in the process :)