Protien shake every morning and I am gaining belly fat

Options
cnmb08
cnmb08 Posts: 5 Member
Five to six days a week I make a brown rice protien shake for breakfast with the following:

Breakfast Calories Carbs Fat Protein Sodium Sugar
Kale - Raw, 1 cup, chopped 34 7 0 2 29 0
Spinach - Raw, 1 cup 7 1 0 1 24 0
Cucumber - With peel, raw, 0.5 cup slices 8 2 0 0 1 1
So Delicious - Coconut Milk - Original, 2 cup (240mL) 140 16 9 0 30 16
Bob Mills - Chia Seeds, 13 g (1 Tbsp) 60 5 5 3 0 0
Minvita - Baobab Super Fruit Powder, 5 g 9 4 0 0 0 1
Heartland Gold Organic - Brown Rice Protien Powder, 20 g 80 3 0 16 4 0

I have gained over 5 lbs in the four weeks I have been drinking them and I exercise for at least an hour three times a week. I am gaining all belly fat. My pants are very tight now (I wear a size six and now I have a "muffin top").

For lunch I eat cabbage soup and for dinner I eat lean meat and a green vegetable. All day I drink green tea and water.

Once a week I do drink beer, three to four.

I don't understand how I am GAINING belly fat and have no idea what to do to reverse it. I am desperate for answers, please help.

Replies

• seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    you can only gain weight/fat by eating at a surplus. it's not the protein shake; it's your overall intake.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    What is your overal all calorie intake? What is your TDEE? If you're not eating at a deficit, you'll gain weight.
  • sgoldman328
    sgoldman328 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    A protein shake is not the magic pill, so if you're gaining, maybe take a look at what else you're eating throughout the day, and also your sodium intake, which can make you bloated.

www.collegecookingandironchefamerica.blogspot.com
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Why not open your diary so we can see for ourselves why change could be made to help you.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    The protein shake alone is not making you gain fat. I'd also be very surprised if that was actual fat you've gained, seeing as you don't seem to be eating much at all for the exercise you do.

Open up your diary and provide some stats, height, weight, etc, then we will be able to give a more accurate response.
  • NobodyInParticular
    NobodyInParticular Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Lol
  • Josee76
    Josee76 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Maybe the cabbage soup is the culprit... maybe causing a little bit of bloating! ;)
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    ...stop drinking the shake?
  • furniem
    furniem Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    you can only gain weight/fat by eating at a surplus. it's not the protein shake; it's your overall intake.

This!! Gotta look at the whole picture and not just the shake as a magic drink to lose weight.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    You said nothing about your exercise or total calorie intake and are quick to blame it on the protein shake, not the 4 150+ calorie beers....get your priorities in order.
  • MrsBobaFett
    MrsBobaFett Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Beer belly, empty, pointless calories!
  • cnmb08
    Options
    Will you please tell me how I can open my profile?
  • FASTFUELXXX
    FASTFUELXXX Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    GO 2 SETTINGS & CHANGE UR PROFILE 2 PUBLIC
  • cidalia73
    cidalia73 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Could it be that the shake itself is causing bloating? I know that if I eat/drink brown rice powder and fruit powder, my gut will balloon.
  • cnmb08
    Options
    I went to My Home, Profile and do not see a public button. I also went in to edit my profile and do not see where I am able to make it public.
  • Vaisaxena
    Vaisaxena Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Sorry - but sounds like a pretty crappy diet. Cabbage soup for lunch?

Sounds like you're underfed so the fat is not going to go anywhere. And you're not a vegetarian/vegan so there's no excuse for using rice protein instead of whey or casein - but that's not really the problem here.

Eat properly - the weight loss will come.
    Five to six days a week I make a brown rice protien shake for breakfast with the following:

Breakfast Calories Carbs Fat Protein Sodium Sugar
    Kale - Raw, 1 cup, chopped 34 7 0 2 29 0
    Spinach - Raw, 1 cup 7 1 0 1 24 0
    Cucumber - With peel, raw, 0.5 cup slices 8 2 0 0 1 1
    So Delicious - Coconut Milk - Original, 2 cup (240mL) 140 16 9 0 30 16
    Bob Mills - Chia Seeds, 13 g (1 Tbsp) 60 5 5 3 0 0
    Minvita - Baobab Super Fruit Powder, 5 g 9 4 0 0 0 1
    Heartland Gold Organic - Brown Rice Protien Powder, 20 g 80 3 0 16 4 0

I have gained over 5 lbs in the four weeks I have been drinking them and I exercise for at least an hour three times a week. I am gaining all belly fat. My pants are very tight now (I wear a size six and now I have a "muffin top").

For lunch I eat cabbage soup and for dinner I eat lean meat and a green vegetable. All day I drink green tea and water.

Once a week I do drink beer, three to four.

I don't understand how I am GAINING belly fat and have no idea what to do to reverse it. I am desperate for answers, please help.
  • cnmb08
    Options
    Could it be that the shake itself is causing bloating? I know that if I eat/drink brown rice powder and fruit powder, my gut will balloon.

Thank you, I will try eliminating the fruit powder first and then try changing the brown rice protein powder to a different type. :smile:
  • cnmb08
    Options
    Sorry - but sounds like a pretty crappy diet. Cabbage soup for lunch?

Sounds like you're underfed so the fat is not going to go anywhere. And you're not a vegetarian/vegan so there's no excuse for using rice protein instead of whey or casein - but that's not really the problem here.

Eat properly - the weight loss will come.

Could you suggest a better meal plan?
  • Exodus62
    Exodus62 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    upper right hand corner click on Settings.....then diary settings.....and scroll all the way down. You will see where you can set your diary to private/public/friends only.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Read Good Calories, Bad Calories, carbs make you fat regardless of overall intake