Pregnant and looking for a support network

Options
Hi. I recently found out that I am pregnant, around 5 weeks.

I figure that I am not the only one and would love to touch base with other women who are in the same boat.

I am 25, this is my first child -hubby and I are thrilled.
As you may read on my profile, I am only a tad 'overweight' - that's gonna change haha.

I am part of a ttc group on mfp and they have been amazing! but i don't think it's fair to blabber on to them about the upcoming event.

My absolute focus is to stay healthy, eat well (at least better than now) and to exercise more frequently while I can.
I have not yet changed my calorie goal, still on 1290 but I will adjust that to maintenance soon-after I have done some more research.

Please feel free to share your story, comment or critisize if you must :tongue:

:happy: HJ

Replies

• FaerieCae
    FaerieCae Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Watch how hard you go with cardio, look up what your hrm limit is sposed to be, I cant remember exactly why you're not sposed to.
    My advice would be to take it a bit easier until you're past 12 weeks, be careful how hard you push, your body starts releasing a chemical that will get your joints loosening up more as time progresses, so your hips and pelvis can widen, but you might find things are a bit easier to injure if you over extend.
    I kept up with the gym till I was 28 weeks with my 2nd, keeping relatively fit can make labour easier as well. The only reason I stopped at 28 weeks was cause my membership ran out. Renewed membership after bubs then ended up pregnant with my third when second was only three months old... so I just gave up, hence why im here hehe.
    If you have any questions, fire away, been through it recently three times over and in the same country so can give you some info on midwives and gynos and how that all works.
    I like talking pregnancy lol.
  • jjj1988
    jjj1988 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Send a friend request to mrsRhughes...she's 30 some weeks pregnant now, but she's been logging and workout out her whole pregnancy. Not only that, she's an amazing friend to have anyways. SO supportive and truly motivating. I LOVE HER! Good luck, and congrats!
  • Cheeky_0102
    Cheeky_0102 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I was told to keep doing whatever I was doing, but don't start something new. I couldn't get my doctor to commit to a maximum heart rate, she said just be careful.
    I Never gained a ton in this pregnancy, but I did gain in anticipation of getting pregmant, so you are in better shape than I was... I was back to my pre pregnancy weight immediately, but that was high :(
    when I get pregnant again I'm planning on continuing to track my food... maybe with the help of a dietician to establish some goals. The food I eat is super healthy, and I don't really break any rules...

congrats! having kids is the greatest things I have done in my line, and I'm pretty awesome on my own!
  • AmandaReimer1
    AmandaReimer1 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    The best advice I have is eat healthy. Also, make sure you up those calories ASAP, you don't need research to tell you to do that, you are in a crucial time. Soon enough you may not want to eat a whole lot anyway if your nauseous,but this isn't the time to lose weight. But, you can have a healthy pregnancy which will make it easier to lose weight after baby because of your habits. And tracking what you eat will ensure your not overeating and using pregnancy as an excuse.

Congrats!!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Don't "eat for 2". Lots of females on here have stated they regret overeating and using the baby excuse to overconsume and are now having a difficult time reducing their weight along with the added responsibility.
    And keep exercising. Statistics show that females that continue exercise through pregnancy usually have a better labor (due to better conditioned muscles) and return to former weight faster after birth.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • teresaforeman91
    teresaforeman91 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    congratulations! i am a first time mum to a healthy 3 month old boy :) i exercised right up until labour... the midwives told me to make sure your heart rate doesn't get above 140.. if it does, that is less oxygen to you meaning less oxygen to the baby. eat and exercise safe :) best wishes xx
  • FaerieCae
    Options
    You only need to eat an extra 300 calories every day, I think thats when you are quite far along tho.
  • Hjbaker
    Hjbaker Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    OMG! thank you all so very much for your imput. I am overwhelmed!

FaerieCae: Thanks for your advice about my heart rate, I am 2/3 through C25k and although I don't want to stop it until I feel I need to, but I will slow down and use my hrm.
    My due date is 16 Dec, so I know that finding a LMC will be tough for that time of year.

jjj1988: Thanks for the friend suggestion, I will look for her :)

Cheeky_0102: Thank you for your encouragement, I have no doubt that you are in fact awesome haha.
    as I said above, I plan to finish c25k but will slow down and stop if need be. I don't want to alter my life too hastily... plenty of time for that.

AmandaReimer1 : great advice,thank you. Consider it done!

Thanks again!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • Hjbaker
    Options
    Don't "eat for 2". Lots of females on here have stated they regret overeating and using the baby excuse to overconsume and are now having a difficult time reducing their weight along with the added responsibility.
    And keep exercising. Statistics show that females that continue exercise through pregnancy usually have a better labor (due to better conditioned muscles) and return to former weight faster after birth.

I hate that 'eat for 2' saying... it's the size of a rice grain... it does not need 1200 cals lol.
    Thanks for your advise on the exercise, I will chat to my trainer tonight and come up with a plan.
  • Hjbaker
    Options
    congratulations! i am a first time mum to a healthy 3 month old boy :) i exercised right up until labour... the midwives told me to make sure your heart rate doesn't get above 140.. if it does, that is less oxygen to you meaning less oxygen to the baby. eat and exercise safe :) best wishes xx

Congrats to you, what a cute wee man!
    Thanks for the tip on the heart rate level, I was unsure how high is too high! well done you for keeping fit, I hope to do the same :)
  • soontobemomma
    Options
    Hi there!!

Congratulations! I am also 25 and 23 weeks along right now. This is my first pregnancy too. I have just joined mfp to keep track of what I am eating because I was obese to begin with. I have set my goal to maintenance and so I have a calorie goal of around 1930. I am eating better but I don't want to take chances as I am already diagnosed with prehypertension. I am actually new here so would love to be friends with anyone who is interested :)
  • Hjbaker
    Options
    Hi there!!

Congratulations! I am also 25 and 23 weeks along right now. This is my first pregnancy too. I have just joined mfp to keep track of what I am eating because I was obese to begin with. I have set my goal to maintenance and so I have a calorie goal of around 1930. I am eating better but I don't want to take chances as I am already diagnosed with prehypertension. I am actually new here so would love to be friends with anyone who is interested :)

Congrats on your pregnancy! and thanks for sharing. I have sent you a request :)
  • HSingMomto7Kids
    HSingMomto7Kids Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I am pregnant as well 20 weeks this coming week!! I have one other friend here pregnant as well, but I would love to add another pregnant friend!! I try to go on the treadmill each day!! This is my 6th baby and the first time that I feel great and proud of myself for keeping my work-outs in. You can do it, and sounds like you are doing great!! Feel free to add me for sure!!
  • HSingMomto7Kids
    HSingMomto7Kids Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Oops also forgot to add a few things that others brought up. My midwife says to eat when you are hungry. Some weeks you won't be as hungry and other weeks you will have. When you have that means that baby has gone through a growth spurt. I noticed in the beginning I was not overly hungry but the last month or so I have at points become more hungry. She also suggests to have protein, whole wheat and a fruit as you don't know what baby needs. I did however increase my calorie count to 300 more calories though.

As far as exercise goes I read online and also when I talked to the midwife don't start a new workout like running a marathon, but if your body is used to it then do it. I was doing a Jillian Michaels workout and continued a week after I found out I was pregnant and finished it. But because of the crunches I didn't feel comfortable keeping it up. As far as the heart rate goes the 2 midwives I talked to that when I asked about heart rate they both said that it used to be to keep it at 140, but research has not shown anything about heart rate. As long as you are comfortable to keep it up. My heart rate probably gets to about 150 or a little more and I've been fine. The midwife I hired has delivered over 1600 babies and is in the process of writing her 3rd book, so I totally trust her advice!! HTH
  • FaerieCae
    Options
    WOW 6 kids? I thought 3 was mad enough! You must be one strong lady! :smile:

Totally understand bout the growth spurts, I never thought of it like that, after having my third I was smaller then I had been since my first... I was not very hungry that whole last 2 months of pregnancy, but my boy eats like a horse. He turned 2 on friday, is 1.5 kg heavier then his 3 yo brother and only 8 cm shorter. Must be making up for it!
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I've got 2 children and am thinking of TTC a third later in the year.

In my first pregnancy I exercised until 34 weeks. Really I could've exercised until my due date, but my mum was worried about me so I listened to her! It was only when I stopped at the gym that i put on weight. I did find that I craved carbs when I was pregnant, both times, and because i'd been eating too few calories prior to getting pregnant that did make me gain weight.

In my 2nd pregnancy I had such good intentions, but nausea, early bleeding, and looking after a 14 month old who still wasn't sleeping all night meant that I got a bit too lazy and I ate more than I usually would. I put on a lot of weight.

My 2nd will be 2 next month and I am now thinner than before I got pregnant with my first.

So, just continue exercising and if you do find yourself hungrier, try to find healthier snacks.
  • mommyfairy
    mommyfairy Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I wish when I had my 1st at 27 that I had a more healthy pregnancy. (and your attitude to be healthy!) I let being pregnancy become an excuse to eat what ever I wanted. It was very hard to loose that weight. With my 2nd I ate a LOT better and went on more walks. And now they are 7 & 4 and you wanna know whats weird... my 1st is such a picky eater, wont touch a veggie! My 2nd is a great eater, loves veggies and fruits. My 1st eats like I did when I was pregnant with her and my 2nd eats healthy like I did when I was pregnant with him. I dont know if one has anything to do with the other but I cant help but feel guilty about it. Whatever you decide to do to stay hit make sure you talk to your Dr and make sure your Dr is listening to you. Congrats, being a mommy is the bestest thing in the whole world! Keep us up to date! Are you going to find out what your are having when you can or are you gonna wait?
  • nklunk
    nklunk Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    My advice is to make sure you do eat healthy and exercise (as much as your allowed).....I didn't do either and wish I would have. When I got pregnant I weighed around 135 and weighed 200 the day I went in to have my baby. It took me a year to loose the weight and I still struggle to tone back up. Good luck and I hope you find some good advice!!
  • thecakelocker
    thecakelocker Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Once you get over barfing/exhaustion EXERCISE. I avoided the gym for a good chunk of my second trimester and I was starting to feel really run down and tired and achy and just generally crappy, having trouble sleeping, having trouble rolling over in bed, etc. I thought it was just because of baby getting bigger.

Nope. It was because I wasn't keeping up with exercise. I went back to the gym and resumed weightlifting, and my symptoms ~~~mysteriously~~~ cleared up within a week. I'm bouncing around just fine at 34 and a half weeks now, no discomfort or sluggishness at all. I feel awesome and although I've modified my routine a bit and I have to be careful I'm working with almost as much weight as I did pre-pregnant.
  • Hjbaker
    Options
    HSingMomto5Ki: wow, 6 children, I admire your strength and patience! I will make sure I pay special attention to my hunger pangs, thanks for that. Your midwife sounds amazing! I am going to sort that soon, just want to get my 7 week scan out of the way first.

I am working really hard on my protein intake, the only meat I eat is chicken... have been that way for 14 years or so... I’m just weird!

I upped my calories to maintenance (+250 cals) so will see how that goes. I’ve never been too worried if I go over my calorie goal and I don’t plan to worry now lol.

While doing c25k my heart rate gets to about 180, so will slow it down. I am going to the gym tonight so will sort out what to start and stop. Was meant to last night but was too tired after flu shot lol.

Mommyfairy, yes we are going to find out the sex, hubby and I both think it will be a girl, so will wit and see ;)

DawnieB1977: congrats on your 2 and good luck with your ttc of #3. Bless your mum for being so worried of you, how precious.You look gorgeous, congrats on your weightloss.

Nklunk: I will certainly try my best. Congrats to you too on your weight loss (check out those gorgeous abs!)
    thecakelocker luckily I have virtually no symptoms yet so I want to do as much as I can comfortably do, while I can.... I feel a bit anxious that I am not having signs yet but I suppose plenty of people would envy me haha.

I don’t think I can express just how wonderful it is to have your advice and support. Thank you all again so much!