COLD VEGETABLE SIDE DISHES

Options
mattysmom
mattysmom Posts: 82 Member
Now that summer is closing in I want to stop using my oven so much and start making cold meals for dinners. Does anyone have any cold vegetable main or side dishes they make? Please share recipe or link, Thanks so much!!!

Replies

• Rlevis8954
    Options
    Why are you not trying Knorr sides? Knorr has huge collection of vegetable side dishes.:smile:

http://www.knorr.com/product/category/245726/sides

Hope will help you to close Oven!

Cheers!!
  • wllwsmmr
    wllwsmmr Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Maybe try daikon radish/carrot/cucumber/cabbage slaws and the sort? Pickled veggies are also yummy!!
    Most of them require sugar, mirin (sweet rice wine), vinegar and the sort!!

Maybe you could tell about what veggies you like so that others know what sort of recipes to share? :)

A sample recipe would be something like this:
    *Cabbage and daikon salad*
    30 ml mirin
    20 gm caster sugar
    100 ml rice wine vinegar
    100 gm daikon (about 1/3), cut into julienne
    350 gm Chinese cabbage (about ¼), thinly shaved on a mandolin
    2 spring onions, thinly sliced
    1 tsp sesame oil
    To serve: toasted sesame seeds
  • sarahmoo12
    sarahmoo12 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I like cold pasta dishes with salads like tomato and basil pasta or pinenut sun n dry tomato pasta with a tiny drop of oil ?
  • jfauci
    jfauci Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I grill a ton a veggies during the spring and summer. I eat them hot and cold. You can toss them with some pasta, spaghetti squash, shrimp,eggs etc. Grilled veggies are the most versatile food!
  • groovy_dhruvy
    groovy_dhruvy Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love vegetable terrine's in the summer. They are perfect served with some grilled meat on a warm summer afternoon.

For example: http://www.rhs.org.uk/Gardening/Grow-Your-Own/Recipes/Recipes/Grilled-vegetable-terrine
  • geralynhoerauf
    geralynhoerauf Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Something different that I'm planning to try soon: Polish Vegetable Salad

http://www.theprimalist.com/polish-vegetable-salad/
  • JessAilene86
    JessAilene86 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I like a variety of chickpea salads. My favorite has been a mixture of garbanzo beans, pineapple, cilantro, cayenne with a little cumin. Also, just a thought, crockpots are an awesome way to cook meals without having to stand around in a hot kitchen using an oven. I've been using mine everyday for about 3 weeks now. It's such a time saver too.
  • lax75
    lax75 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    www.kalynskitchen.com/

There are loads of vegetable recipes there, easy to search, plus she often adds pictures of the preparation steps. Most of the recipes are quite simple but she has interesting combinations so they're not boring. I have gotten much more adventurous with lentils and various types of beans by using her recipes.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I take any veggies that are good cold and mix in some onion, balsamic vinegar, olive oil and salt.

Beans: green, garbanzo and kidney - one can each, the above dressing to taste.

Coleslaw: for this one, I often use sesame oil, instead of olive. I also add sesame seeds and ginger.

Cucumber and tomatoes: slice to bite size.
  • Bean5
    Bean5 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Asian peanut noodles as a Main.
    As a side Purple cabbage salad with chinese pecans and scallions, with Asian dressing, and sometimes add mandarin oranges, sesame seeds, shredded carrot to it. (the dressing I like is 1/2 cup vinegar, 1/2 cup sugar, 1/8 cup oil, 1/8 cup sesame oil, 1/4 cup soy sauce) toss only right before serving.