healthy chip alternatives for dipping

Options
I thought this might be a good idea for a thread so we can all give each other some ideas. Here's my two cents.

Yesterday I was craving guacamole soooooo bad, and I know there's a lot of calories in guac, but good calories. However, once you add in the chips, it's another story. I found an extremely delicious, extremely healthy alternative. Cut a red bell pepper into approx inch-wide strips and go to town. I had half a red bell pepper (30-something calories!) and a cup of guac (a lot more than thirty...) for lunch and I was full and happy and full of vitamins, fiber, and healthy fats. The crispness of the bell pepper really made up for the chips, and the flavors mixed wonderfully. Also, peppers instead of chips dramatically cuts down on your sodium intake in addition to your calories.

Replies

• lisalynn35
    lisalynn35 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Well, carrots and cellary ar always good and have a good crunch.
  • red01angel
    red01angel Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Romaine lettuce leaves with a few tablespoons of guacamole spread on them, plus an oz or 2 of grilled or baked chicken strips on them make a great guac and chicken "taco". They taste very fresh and very light, and are great for a summertime lunch.
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    cucumber slices
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    I like sugar snap peas and carrot "chips" for that crunch. Sometimes I'll get Sun chips too since they're whole grain and have no hydrogenated oils.
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I make chips out of won ton wrappers, low call and great for dipping. You can add what ever seasoning you want.
  • dontpanic1984
    dontpanic1984 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I make chips out of won ton wrappers, low call and great for dipping. You can add what ever seasoning you want.

the ones in the refrigerated section? and how do you make chips out of them? curious, and excited to try :)
  • emonbeck
    Options
    Try Jicama, it is a sweet root vegetable. Fat free and high in vitamin C. Super crispy and great for dipping!
  • tiffanyrose519
    tiffanyrose519 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I like to slice zucchini and use them the same way