Krav Maga

Options
SJ46
SJ46 Posts: 407 Member
There is a living social deal for one of our local Krav Maga places and I am thinking of trying it, has anyone here tried it? The one thing that is holding me back is I am not aggressive with others and it is difficult to imagine sparring with other people. Thoughts? Experiences?

Replies

• scowil03xx
    scowil03xx Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    My familiarity with Krav Maga is limited. To the best of my knowledge it is a true "mixed martial art" that uses techniques from several different styles of martial arts to effect rapid threat neutralization. IMHO any martial art that you choose to practice can be a great workout in addition to the physical, mental, and discipline skills developed. Personally, I have studied judo and recently started ju jitsu and san shao. In any of the arts I have started, the quality of people I have met has been outstanding. As far as aggression, in my opinion, it is more of a "controlled agression". This aggression is developed over time and the more you practice, you may find yourself looking forward to sparring or even competition. One of the biggest keys is to find a good school. One in which instructors/senior practitioners ensure the safety of novice/junior practioners, spend time teaching techniques, and do not use novices/juniors as "cannon fodder" for practice. Feel free to add or contact me with more questions.
  • swordsmith
    swordsmith Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I sent a brief message to you. I have been taking krav for two years and turned at least two other mfp women onto it.

I echo the above re a good school. As stated in my message i just finished a 4 1/2 hour krav class and seminar today. :)

As a correction krav does not consider itself a mixed martial art- it is a self defense system for surviving violent and lethal street encounters. The system does take from other systems IF it makes sense but it also relies heavily on human reactions to aid in the defense and attack. And krav LOVES groin strikes!

I love it! :)
  • KittyHeff
    KittyHeff Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Hey.
    I'm a D1 Krav Chick. I'm a member of United and I train in Ireland with a fantastic instructor. I'm going for my D2 in May and start my Instructors Course in September. Message me if you want to chat about the positives and negatives of women and Krav.
    C. :happy: