The Virgin Diet... the book written by JJ Virgin

Options
I was wondering if anyone has tried this diet. It's not really so much designed for weight loss, as it is for finding out what foods you have an intolerance for.

She suggests you cut Gluten, Soy, Peanuts, Dairy, Eggs, Corn and Sugar from your diet for 21 days. Removing these items should reduce inflamation, bloating, etc... You slowly begin to add one in at a time after the 21 days, then check your symptoms.

Since I have Lupus, I am strongly considering trying it -- at least taking out 2 or 3 of the items.

I was just wondering if anyone has heard of this, or had any experience with it.

Thanks,
Ann

Replies

• S_Arr_Uh
    S_Arr_Uh Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    In my book, that equals starving myself for 21 days.

Good luck with it, if you do go through with it!
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    If you're having problems with intolerance to certain foods, I would suggest talking to your doctor about this rather than just following some book out there. But that's just me.
  • Keto_T
    Keto_T Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Sounds very similar to Whole 30. You can look that up online. You can buy the book on Amazon too but most info is on their website.
  • momredux
    momredux Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I eat this way (except for the eggs) and it does wonders for gas, bloating, inflammation and high blood pressure. Since I feel so much better without them, I don't miss these things. It definetly gets you to focus on more nutritionally dense food that is more filling.
  • peachypants
    peachypants Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    My aunt did this, she had been obese the majority of her life and found out that she had lead poisoning which wouldn't alow her body to release fat. Then found out she could keep the eggs and peanuts but gluten, refined and limited sugars, soy and dairy she removed. She then went paleo and has lost over 100lbs, she had been trying to loose this weight for 27 years. She tried liqued diets, surgeries, weight watchers, Adkins. You name it she has tried it. She bought a sauna that she sits in for an hour almost every day to help realse the toxins from the lead poisoning as well as other "toxins" retained from her old diets. She really looks amazing.
  • junebfolk
    Options
    I am currently doing it and in week 3, and haven't starved at all. I am feeling alot better, have more energy and have been able to stay within my calories so. Has made a difference in the way I look at food and decide what to have.

Everything is healthy, the only thing I did, since I live in a rural area, I purchased her shake from her website to ensure I was drinking the correct items. That is my breakfast every morning.

Best of luck if you decide to try it, I will be supporting you.:smile:
  • cmcelvenny
    Options
    I am just begining week 3 of the Virgin Diet. I have lost 10 lbs. Many in my family have food allergies or food intolerances. I do feel better and I have a lot more energy. Next week I start phase 2. I will reintroduce the restricted foods slowly and see how my body reacts. I like this diet because I am eating so much healthier than I have in the past.
  • AnnInTexas
    AnnInTexas Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I've decided to give it a try, for at least a couple of weeks.
    The one thing I'm for sure cutting out is Gluten. I'll be trying to cut out some of the other thigns too, but won't be as strict about it.

Just a quick walk through my regular grocery store found TONS of items that are gluten free. I clearly don't think I will starve!

I can't imagine anything bad happening.

Ann
  • neekosmith
    neekosmith Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have lupus as well. I have been doing the Whole 30 and it has made a huge difference in how I feel. Its basically the same thing as the Virgin diet, except a little stricter and lasts a little longer.
  • soccermom789
    soccermom789 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've been on the Virgin diet for 3 weeks, and I've lost 9.5 lbs. I honestly had no problem eliminating the 7 items from my diet, and I am enjoying many of the suggested additions to make my diet healthier. This plan is not designed for weight loss, but I need to lose weight, and I AM losing on this diet.

I've noticed that I have not felt as hungry between meals. I still feel hunger, but it's not that intense, impossible-to-ignore feeling I have always had before. I'm going several hours between meals and not eating in the late evening.

Even though I have had little success with meal replacement shakes (remember "Slim Fast"?), I tried the suggested shake/smoothie for breakfast. I didn't buy the "Virgin Shake" online, but tried Vega One, which is nearly identical and was on sale at Whole Foods. I added 1.5 cups of frozen strawberries, 1 cup of So Delicious brand unsweetened coconut milk, and a tablespoon of almond butter for the first few mornings, and it was delicious. I could not believe that it kept me satisfied all morning long. Since then I've swapped the almond butter for ground flax seed, and even added a handful of raw spinach to the blender, and loved it. Believe me, I never thought I'd ever eat anything like flax seed or put raw greens in my chocolate shake!

I've been overweight my entire adult life. I have type-2 diabetes and know the out-of-control feeling of blood-sugar spikes and dips, and I really feel like this way of eating has been the key to my feeling "in control". When I joined MFP I never planned on posting, but I just have to share this with anyone who has felt the despair of out-of-control eating and weight gain as I have. I feel amazing, and I would recommend giving this diet a try if you have suffered with any of the same issues in your own life.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    My aunt did this, she had been obese the majority of her life and found out that she had lead poisoning which wouldn't alow her body to release fat. Then found out she could keep the eggs and peanuts but gluten, refined and limited sugars, soy and dairy she removed. She then went paleo and has lost over 100lbs, she had been trying to loose this weight for 27 years. She tried liqued diets, surgeries, weight watchers, Adkins. You name it she has tried it. She bought a sauna that she sits in for an hour almost every day to help realse the toxins from the lead poisoning as well as other "toxins" retained from her old diets. She really looks amazing.
    Ok then. :noway:
  • rpoupard99
    rpoupard99 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm starting this eating plan today. I checked with my doctor who gave me one copied, handwritten paper with a list of foods to eliminate! This book gives much more support than that! :-) I'm intrigued by the science and am ready to give it a try. If anyone is also trying this or having success with it, please friend me! I check in every day.

Robin
  • CCDreamin
    CCDreamin Posts: 1
    Options
    I am now on day 8 and am down 5 pounds. I have not been able to lose weight so the 5 pounds may not sound like much but it is huge for me. I have many food sensitivities so I have already eliminated gluten, dairy, chocolate, and artificial sweeteners for like two years. My go to foods are eggs and peanut butter so thinking of eliminating them was very difficult for me, but I am tired of not feeling well. I had a very difficult time the first 2 to 3 days, with cravings and headaches but day four I stopped even thinking about food. I actually have to remind myself to eat. I would definitely recommend it to anyone.
  • NatureWildchild
    NatureWildchild Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I've just got the book.. love it so far, and have already found a 20% improvement in joint pain with what I've done in just the prep work of stopping foods prior to jumping into the 21 day elimination part of the book. I'd love to hear all of your experiences, good or bad.
  • Beachlace
    Beachlace Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am starting today. How is everyone doing so far? Just checking in. I have tried to lose weight for ever and believe I may have food sensitivities. Bloating, gas, constipation and the inability to lose weight are not normal. Here we go!
  • scrapbooklady
    scrapbooklady Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I am thinking of giving this a try. Would love to hear how everyone that has tried it is doing. Sure I'd love to lose some weight but more importantly, I would love to have more energy and eat healthier. I am definitely addicted to sugar and carbs and think maybe trying this clean plan would be a good 3 week cleanse and then slowly add food back in (assuming I do not react to them badly). If I have bad reactions, then I guess I should not be eating them anyway. Only one I would not add back in would be sugar or artificial sweeteners.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I think it is generally frowned upon to eat virgins, unless you are a dragon.