The New Rules of Lifting for Women

Options
I just ordered this book and started reading it over the last few days. If anything I am more confused now than ever. I joined a gym about a month ago and wanted to start adding in weights/strength. Basically this book says step away from the tredmill. So are we supposed to NOT do cardio? It is basically saying for years we have all done the wrong things and if we do cardio it stops working as soon as we step off the machine. I would think that if we eat sensible and burn a significant amount of calories daily that things should start to happen. I have been going for about 4 weeks and havent lost a pound or an inch so maybe I am doing things wrong. Yes I eat some processed foods, no I am not a big veggie fan but from everything I have learned it is calories in vs calories out so it shoudlnt matter as long as I am sticking to my calories and moving my body! Have any of you read this book and if so what did you take away from it?

Replies

• kwatkin
    kwatkin Posts: 81 Member
    Options
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    People do get a bit obsessed with cardio. It works, but weights do, too. And for some people, lifting is just more enjoyable.

One of the perks of strength training if you are on a reduced calorie intake is that it allows you to retain lean muscle mass, more so than cardio. Also, there are some similarities between HIIT and weight lifting (both involve high-intensity anaerobic activity), and there is a lot of recent hype about HIIT which you can read about. In short, there are many reasons why people opt for strength training over steady-state cardio.

I do both steady-state cardio and lifting. I run and lift weights on alternating days. It's worked well for me.
  • sjeagle30
    sjeagle30 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Will do. Thank you.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Later in the book he tells you if you want and feel up to it, you can add back some cardio. But only if you feel up to it.

I am starting stage 3 tomorrow and I have followed his routine exactly and only use cardio in HIIT fashion as he directs (first in stage 2). I have excellent results and look forward to the rest of the stages.
  • sjeagle30
    Options
    Later in the book he tells you if you want and feel up to it, you can add back some cardio. But only if you feel up to it.

I am starting stage 3 tomorrow and I have followed his routine exactly and only use cardio in HIIT fashion as he directs (first in stage 2). I have excellent results and look forward to the rest of the stages.

Have you noticed a weight loss or more so inches/body changing etc? I know they are both good but I am wondering what to expect
  • jsd_135
    jsd_135 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I checked it out from the library last week. The workouts at the back look great, and I think I'm going to follow that program. I'm less wild about the particular form of religion at the front of the book. I get what the author is saying, and there's some useful information, but I think his viewpoint is a bit extreme and wedded to a particular fitness ideology. I'm also not interested in the meal information. I consider myself a good cook, I eat healthfully, so I have no interest in changing my diet to suit this program.

Even though I find the author's tone a bit annoying, I do plan on buying the book for the workout information, and for the good stuff that the author imparts. So in short, I'd say take that preaching with a grain of salt.
  • Ascolti_la_musica
    Ascolti_la_musica Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    I find it to be overrated, personally, but I will be blasted for saying that here.

I think the most important type of exercise to do is the one you enjoy doing, and can continue to enjoy doing even when you are not actively trying to lose weight. If you enjoy the treadmill, do that. If you enjoy weights, do those, too.

I do weights on occasion, but when I do, I gain weight. You can find piles of pictures around here of bulky looking women trying to prove that their weight lifting practices have not made them bulky. If that's the look they want, then good for them. I look at some of their success pictures and think "eww." It's not the look I want, as a matter of opinion/personal preference. So I do just enough lifting to keep me comfortably strong, and no more.

You can get a good workout from doing bench presses, dead lifts, military presses, and bent over rows. If you want to do more than that, go for it. If you find it is not for you, don't beat yourself up for not being on the bandwagon. There's plenty of room on the road for more of us cardio happy folk. :-)
  • VpinkLotus
    VpinkLotus Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I'm reading it and I just take it with a grain of salt. I see what he is saying and I find all the info very interesting and helpful, but i do love me some cardio. So I am doing both. It's great to be informed, but you gotta do what you love and what works for you.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I find it to be overrated, personally, but I will be blasted for saying that here.

I think the most important type of exercise to do is the one you enjoy doing, and can continue to enjoy doing even when you are not actively trying to lose weight. If you enjoy the treadmill, do that. If you enjoy weights, do those, too.

I do weights on occasion, but when I do, I gain weight. You can find piles of pictures around here of bulky looking women trying to prove that their weight lifting practices have not made them bulky. If that's the look they want, then good for them. I look at some of their success pictures and think "eww." It's not the look I want, as a matter of opinion/personal preference. So I do just enough lifting to keep me comfortably strong, and no more.

You can get a good workout from doing bench presses, dead lifts, military presses, and bent over rows. If you want to do more than that, go for it. If you find it is not for you, don't beat yourself up for not being on the bandwagon. There's plenty of room on the road for more of us cardio happy folk. :-)

You make some good points, but there is no need for body negativity.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options

Have you noticed a weight loss or more so inches/body changing etc? I know they are both good but I am wondering what to expect

I was already basically at goal weight when I started the program, but have since lost 4 more pounds (25 workouts/ 9 weeks) and 2" off waist, 2" off belly, 1.5" off hips, .5" off upper arm, .75" off thighs.

Everyone's results will be different, of course, but I am very pleased with the improvements. AND, the best thing for me, is that I feel strong and capable and like I could do anything!

EDIT: BTW, I do not follow his meal plan, but do eat based on TDEE minus 10%.
  • LB2LL
    LB2LL Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I do NROL. There is some HIIT later on that incorporates some cardio. Did I gain a little weight? Yup. Did I have to buy all new pants? Nope. In fact, I need to put a smaller notch in my belt.

I am a runner and I pretty much gave up running for two months and saw some good results. I wasn't doing it for weight loss but mainly to get some definition and achieve some strength gains, which I did. Now that it's road race season I am switching to two days a week and amping up the cardio. Counter productive? Maybe depending on your needs and what you want to accomplish out of the program. With that said, I think strength training is important no matter what your exercise of choice is. Even if you don't follow this program religiously (I don't) I still believe there are benefits to be had.
  • valeriewxy
    valeriewxy Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Even though I find the author's tone a bit annoying, I do plan on buying the book for the workout information, and for the good stuff that the author imparts. So in short, I'd say take that preaching with a grain of salt.

I'm totally different :) I love the way he writes, and I think that a lot of what he says makes sense. I don't plan on stopping my cardio, I love my kickboxing too much. I also don't really think he's out to say that cardio is BAD. I feel he's trying to emphasize the importance of strenght training, and also convincing women that strength training can help you lose fat :)
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    As a former cardio junkie, I couldn't stop cold turkey when I started lifting. So I did both. However, I found that I love lifting and tolerate cardio so I dropped the cardio to almost nothing and lift 3 days a week (not New Rules, but similar). I've lost more inches and weight in the 2.5 months I've been lifting than in the 5 years I've been running.

I agree with the other posters who say you have to do what you love.
  • Renee4joy
    Renee4joy Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have recently started weights more, but I will never stop doing cardio!..I love Cardio, but strength training is great for the body on so many levels..hopefully one day I will be living proof..as my goal is to be toned and tight!.
  • Stephiestephs
    Stephiestephs Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    As a former cardio junkie, I couldn't stop cold turkey when I started lifting. So I did both. However, I found that I love lifting and tolerate cardio so I dropped the cardio to almost nothing and lift 3 days a week (not New Rules, but similar). I've lost more inches and weight in the 2.5 months I've been lifting than in the 5 years I've been running.

Curious as to what you switched to I found the book a little confusing. Maybe I missed it cause of reading in my nook but I found no program just pages of excersizes. I want charts that just say what to do. List it out.
  • sjeagle30
    Options
    Thanks for all of the responses. I have a lot of weight to lose so I am hoping to do both. Lose and tone/sculpt.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options

Curious santo what you switched to I found the book a little confusing.

I'm doing Stronglifts 5x5. I actually looked at New Rules last weekend, but felt that I should just stick with what I'm doing since it's working.
  • Utahgirl12
    Utahgirl12 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Bump for reading later! Completely clueless about lifting and want to learn!
  • LB2LL
    LB2LL Posts: 240 Member
    Options

Curious as to what you switched to I found the book a little confusing. Maybe I missed it cause of reading in my nook but I found no program just pages of excersizes. I want charts that just say what to do. List it out.

That's strange. There should have been a breakdown of the various stages with workouts A and B listed. The pages of exercises are just to become familiar with them as you go along. I read the book on my Kindle and those Stage/Workout/Reps pages showed up.
  • mountaingirl2207
    Options
    I just started last week and I love it so far. His writing doesn't bother me at all. He says that if you enjoy cardio, to do 25 minutes of HIIT, take a 5 minute break and then do your steady state. I have already noticed that this works better for me. I work out 6-7 days per week and so far am still able to give everything I have to the lifting, even with 2.5 hour bike rides and hour long cardio sessions.