Any studies to back up the"fool your metabolism" theory?

Options
2»

Replies

• fitpalmee
    fitpalmee Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of people losing weight here, I need some good advice. I am following this perfectly, never going over my calories since I exercise, 2 hours per day on most days. My problem is that I'm not losing weight. What am I doing wrong? I did a diet called Game On and lost about 45lbs but now put 20 of that back on. I tried that one again but couldn't take off the weight so decided to turn to this, why isn't it working? Fewer calories, exercise, yet not working for me, and I can't figure out why. Some days are only 1200 calories. Wow those days are tough and it's a good thing I exercise.
  • Colli78
    Colli78 Posts: 135
    Options
    This is my opinion on the whole thing.

Lets say to lose weight, your individual calorie goal is 1700 a day. With calorie cycling, the whole thing is to eat low calories a few days a week and higher calories another couple of days. But, everyone knows that to lose one pound of fat, you must cut 3500 calories a week, right?

Given the 1700 calories a day theory, your total weekly caloric consumption would be 11,900. So, following the calorie cycling (fool your metabolism diet) it would look like this:

Sunday: 2100 Calories
    Monday: 1300 Calories
    Tuesday: 900 Calories
    Wednesday : 2300 Calories
    Thursday: 1600 Calories
    Friday: 800 Calories
    Saturday: 2900 Calories.

There. In an essence, you have calorie cycled for the week.

Does this look familiar to you at all? Maybe like the Weight Watchers diet plan but without points? You can save your "Points" (AKA Calories) for a treat at the end of the week?

This is really a very basic type thing. During the week, most people pay closer attention to their way of eating and exercising. So naturally most people consume less. Come the weekend, you go out for drinks and cheese dip with the girls, go to cookouts, your sweetie cooks you a full breakfast....etc. So, you would probably consume more during the weekend.

Bottom line, there is no difference in doing this above and eating at 1700 every day. As long as at the end of the week your calorie count is 11,900 (or whatever your number is) you are going to lose weight. Your body isn't going to go into "starvation mode" after a couple of days of low calorie eating. And it's not going to hold on to every single calorie on your bigger calorie days (water weight...yes. Do you have any idea how much sodium is in a margarita??)

So, my suggestion is to do what you want to do. You know you are going out with the girls for a birthday party at a Mexican restaurant and you want a margarita or two and some queso? Go for it. Just watch your caloric intake the rest of the other days to even it out.

To me caloric cycling is just a way to let people feel like they are getting "cheat days".
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of people losing weight here, I need some good advice. I am following this perfectly, never going over my calories since I exercise, 2 hours per day on most days. My problem is that I'm not losing weight. What am I doing wrong? I did a diet called Game On and lost about 45lbs but now put 20 of that back on. I tried that one again but couldn't take off the weight so decided to turn to this, why isn't it working? Fewer calories, exercise, yet not working for me, and I can't figure out why. Some days are only 1200 calories. Wow those days are tough and it's a good thing I exercise.

This is counterintuitive but I am certain that you need to eat more. If you're doing that much exercise and not fueling your body, you will have poor results. Try this approach: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/952996-level-obstacles-lose-weight-target-fat-easy.
  • rmxtube
    rmxtube Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your talking about the 5:2 intermittent fasting diet where for two days of the week you eat a low protein 500 cal meal the rest of the week you eat your full calorie allowance so saving around 3000 calories a week which is how you get the weight loss but the 500 days are hard and exercise is near impossible.but the health benifits are supposed to be good there is an expert on intermittent fadting called Brad Pilon who discusses it here http://bradpilon.com/weight-loss/the-52-diet-my-review/ and he also has a book about fasting
  • IIISpartacusIII
    IIISpartacusIII Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I see some people doing things like eating 500 cal one day and 1800 on the other to "fool their metabolism".

Are there actual scientific studies to that effect or is it of the "sounds logical to me" kind of thing?

Because this seems to be a lot of stress on the body, and eating 500 calories just seems like not a good thing.

Those who attempt to "fool" their metabolisms, fool themselves. - wise old Kung Fu dude