how many grams of sugar leads to diabetes

Options
Hi. So I was wondering how many grams of sugar do people eat to get diabetes or how many grams of sugar is extremely harmful.

Diabetes runs in my family. Almost everyone is overweight and has it.

Thing is I'm not overweight but I'm still afraid I can get it.

Can it also happen to people with a normal weight.

Plus my sugar intake is high. Almost 60-70 grams per day(or more).

Replies

• sissytx
    sissytx Posts: 50
    Options
    Diabetes is so much more than just how much sugar you have :(. And you are right anyone can get it at any size. But you are already ahead of the game because you know to be on the look out. keeping your weight down is good. I wished i had taken that adivse after I had my last child.
  • TheGoblinRoad
    TheGoblinRoad Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    I don't think that's how it works.

Then every kid would have diabetes. There's more factors than one.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    You don't "catch" diabetes just from the amount of sugar that you eat. Here is a link to an article that will give you some insight:
    http://www.diabetesmellitus-information.com/diabetes_causes.htm

Here is another one:

http://diabetesinformationhub.com/WhatCausesDiabetes.php
  • 123gonnareachit
    Options
    Thanks for the info
  • p90xokc
    p90xokc Posts: 66
    Options
    I know it seems obvious but I'd consult your doctor. I wouldn't be taking what sounds like medical advice from this site.
  • weaklink109
    Options
    I know it seems obvious but I'd consult your doctor. I wouldn't be taking what sounds like medical advice from this site.

Referring a person with a legitimate question to medically advised websites that are affiliated with the subject condition is NOT giving medical advice. It is called providing information for the question asked. This is a forum for sharing ideas, remember?

If the original poster had said, " I eat lots of sugar, I am tired all the time and I am drinking water like it is going out of style. What should I do?" then referring to a physician makes far more sense than saying "Oh, sounds to me like you might be diabetic." That is not what happened in this instance.
  • LoriT129
    LoriT129 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    It's very important to educate yourself and to be aware of your family history. Along with the websites that were provided already, check out the American Diabetes Association website as well. They have tons of info on there and is another wonderful website to help you understand the process. Speak with your doctor the next time you go see him/her and share your concerns with them. You are right to ask questions. Diabetes can be scary but it is manageable!
  • weaklink109
    Options
    Lori....Excellent info about the ADA website--dont' know why I didn't think of it initially myself.:ohwell:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Hi. So I was wondering how many grams of sugar do people eat to get diabetes or how many grams of sugar is extremely harmful.

Diabetes runs in my family. Almost everyone is overweight and has it.

Thing is I'm not overweight but I'm still afraid I can get it.

Can it also happen to people with a normal weight.

Plus my sugar intake is high. Almost 60-70 grams per day(or more).
    What's great is that you're aware of your family history and concerned about it. That gives you a head start on getting healthy right there. Changing eating habits can do wonders for ppl already diagnoised and those with family history. Sugars can mean anything from fruits to processed foods. It's healthier for each of us, over weight or of a healthy weight, history or not to watch our intake of particular foods simply because it's better for our bodies, they run far better and far longer.

I think it's awesome that you're looking for info on what to do to avoid it. It's a bit more complicated than simply having anyone of us on here tell you not to eat such and such amount of sugar. A Dietican can help you structure a food diary for you to see how many carbs, proteins, fats, etc. are best for your particular body far better than we could.

Good luck,
    Becca:flowerforyou:

Edited to add: Yes, anyone can get Diabetes, you don't have to be overweight to be diagnoised with it. That makes one a higher risks but having family members with it is a large risk as well. Eating a daily diet rich in processed foods (foods that turn into sugar quickly in our blood stream) puts anyone at a huge risk, overweight or not.