Lean Cuisines

Options
I've been seeing a lot of talk about Lean Cuisines and debates one whether they're good for you or not.

I LOVE THEM. I don't care about the sodium - I actually add salt to them and I can't stand Smart Ones because they are way too bland for me.

If you're wanting to try them and don't know where to start here are a list of my favorites:

Baked Chicken @ 240 calories it comes with a stuffing that isn't the best in the world, but the whipped mash potatoes really cure a craving for me!

Chicken Carbonara @ 240 isn't so bad. It's not my favorite, but it's pretty good.

Chicken Parmesan is good @ 300 calories. A decent portion of chicken and some noodles to go along with it. Now, it has nothing on Olive Garden, but we're talking about sheer convenience and portion control (at a slight high price, I know)

Lemon Pepper Fish @ 300 calories. This is one of my favorites. I was leery for a very long time because of the fish, but it is very similar to breaded fish fillets you buy in the frozen section. It's a nice change up. Note: I HATE the other fish entree, though.

I also love the Mushroom Mezzuluna Ravioli @ 290 calories. It's a smaller portion. I tend to always want a little more, but it is truly enough to satisfy you. I think it may just be tasty enough to me to make me want to eat more (kinda like olive garden, am I right?!) If you like the mushroom ravioli at Olive Garden this will be a comfort to you with way less calories.

I think the salisbury steak is a comfort food for me @ 260 calories. I remember eating salisbury steak at my gradma's growing up and I like to eat it sometime!

Steak Tips Portabello is a new find for me. At 150 calories, it really can't be beat! I never found this to be appealing but one day last week I finally decided to give it a try and it's well work 150 calories!

The pizza collection is okay. If you've seriously sworn off pizza (I have not because I love it wayyyy too much!) then it could be an emergency food.

I HATE THE ASIAN INSPIRED LC!! They have a funny, sweet after taste that I do not enjoy.

Don't feel embarrassed if you like Lean Cuisines and don't want to be cut down by everyone that swears them off. Everyone has something that works for them. I don't eat Lean Cuisines 3 times a day, 5 times a week... not even 5 times a week. It's nice to know that I have them in the freezer at work in case I don't have anything packed and ready to take for lunch.

Replies

• kt_kat_88
    kt_kat_88 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I usually eat lean cuisines, smart ones etc for lunch about 2-3 times a week. i have to have my lunch break on the go so they are quick and easy. my only complaint is the sodium because my normal breakfast has alot of sodium and added to my lunch doesnt leave me much room for dinner.
  • hellothere1212
    Options
    i love them! lasagna, sesame chicken, salisbury steak, cheese ravioli. so delish. only problem is they dont fill me up
  • xinit0
    xinit0 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I don't eat them that often, and never at work - but they are in the freezer at home for eatmergencies... You know, when you take out the salad and its gone black, or there's some sort of time pressure. Or when I need canneloni or mac & cheese, but in a nice, sane portion size.

I buy whichever brand is on sale - there's three or four brands including the store brand that they seem to rotate through sales.
  • Debbiedebbiey
    Debbiedebbiey Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Thai curry rolls (like egg rolls) & fajita rolls (like spring rolls) it totally keeps me away from wanting Chinese or Mexican foods, TAte is YUMMY ! I dip fajita rolls in lite sour cream & a dash of taco sauce & use kraft sweet & sour sauce for the egg rolls.mmmmm
  • jakki_brown
    jakki_brown Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I don't really keep up with my sodium intake. I'm sure I really need to, but I like salt and my blood pressure isn't abnormal. It's worked for me this long.

As far as it being filling, I find that eating slowly and drinking water help with that. I typically eat snacks (fruit, veggies, candy bars, and cookies - haha) during the day, so I don't need to eat until I can physically feel that I'm full. That's one thing I've struggled with. The feeling the need to feel full. It takes your brain much longer to know you are full, which is why you feel "full" when you finish eating at a restaurant and as you are getting up to walk out the door, you realize you've eaten too much.

It's something I still struggle with. Lean cuisines give me no option but to be satisfied without that.
  • terewilliams
    terewilliams Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Lean Cuisines now has Salad Additions which I am using for lunch. You just add the lettuce. I think there are four different types: cranberry, asian, southwest, and bistro. All of them have chicken. I've enjoyed all except the bistro. I'm having that tomorrow. Each is at 260 calories. My sodium intake is normally pretty low so I don't pay a lot of attention to that. Today I had the cranberry and an apple for lunch. I feel stuffed.
  • apothecarist
    Options
    I enjoy the lean cuisines as well. I probably eat them 4-5x/week for lunch b/c of they're so convenient. I love the mac 'n cheese, chicken fried rice, spaghetti and meatballs...just to name a few.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    I like the Lean Cuisine butternut squash ravioli with all the matchstick veggies. Really surprisingly good.

Also check Marie Callender's. Not marketed as low-calorie, but many are under 450 calories. The steak and roasted potatoes is a lot of food for only 350 calories--and quite yummy. That one is a little higher in sodium than most of the others, so remember to always check labels if you need to keep an eye on that.

Kashi also has some good ones, like the Mayan Harvest Bake.

EDIT: They usually aren't enough to fill me up by themselves, so I almost always have a side salad and/or bread to make it a complete meal. Or have some Greek yogurt for dessert.
  • hansel2001
    hansel2001 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I use then just about weekly they work for a fast meal (faster then drive thu ) I add some veggies that I have left in the fridge or a small salad as for the sodium it just gets me to drink extra water.
  • jakki_brown
    Options
    I like the Lean Cuisine butternut squash ravioli with all the matchstick veggies. Really surprisingly good.

Also check Marie Callender's. Not marketed as low-calorie, but many are under 450 calories. The steak and roasted potatoes is a lot of food for only 350 calories--and quite yummy. That one is a little higher in sodium than most of the others, so remember to always check labels if you need to keep an eye on that.

Kashi also has some good ones, like the Mayan Harvest Bake.

EDIT: They usually aren't enough to fill me up by themselves, so I almost always have a side salad and/or bread to make it a complete meal. Or have some Greek yogurt for dessert.

I'll have to look at Marie Callenders! I love to get some LC that are under 300 for those days I know I'm not making the dinner choices, but a lot of times I can afford 400 for lunch!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I like the five cheese lasagna. 350 calories, 20 grams protein, and vegetarian. eff yeah.
  • jakki_brown
    Options
    I just had my lemon pepper fish LC and it was tasty and filling! I also use LCs as a buffer for bad days (like last night).
  • sandyinsc
    sandyinsc Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Every workday at lunchtime, it's me and Healthy Choice Steamers. Price, convenience, and number of calories cannot be beat. :smile:
  • meganshort11
    meganshort11 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    i try not to eat them everyday, but i do enjoy them. its an easy and convenient meal. yeah, there is a good bit of sodium. but as long as you dont have any health issues, drink plenty of water, and exercise, you should be fine.

the healthy choice meals are super good too....some of them even give you dessert!
  • iLoveMyAR15
    iLoveMyAR15 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    just NO...here is a list of ingredients from the chicken mediteranian...

Blanched Whole Wheat Spaghetti (Water, Whole Durum Wheat Flour), Tomatoes, Water, Cooked White Meat Chicken (White Meat Chicken, Water, Seasoning (Salt, Maltodextrin, Garlic, Sugar, Spices, Dextrose, Yeast Extract, Carrageenan, Orange Peel, Onion, Soybean Oil, Chicken Fat, Paprika, Chicken Broth, Dried Celery, Natural Flavor), Isolated Soy Protein, Modified Food Starch, Caramel Coloring, Maltodextrin, Sodium Phosphate, Canola Oil), Zucchini, Yellow Peppers, 2% Or Less Of Sea Salt, Onions, Tomato Puree (Water, Tomato Paste), Modified Cornstarch, Ripe Olives (Ripe Olives, Water, Salt, Ferrous Gluconate), Sun Dried Tomatoes, Soybean Oil, Sugar, Chicken Flavor (Salt, Yeast Extract, Maltodextrin, Chicken Powder, Flavor, Soy Sauce (Soybean, Wheat, Salt)), Basil, Garlic Puree, Potassium Chloride, Spices, Yeast Extract, Dehydrated Onions.

That is horrible. I can make the same thing at home with about 5 ingredients.
  • Tuffjourney
    Tuffjourney Posts: 971
    Options
    I just had lunch, ranchero braised beef. I added some green beans and yummy
  • auteurfille22
    auteurfille22 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I love lean cuisines! most days my sodium is around 500-1000 so I've never worried about it and will continue not to pay attention to it until it becomes a problem :) I love the Mushroom Mezzaluna Ravioli, the Butternut Squash, and the 5 Cheese Rigatoni. I'm vegetarian so I haven't tried as many but those are my go-to favorites. I LOVE them.
  • soxx226
    soxx226 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I like them, I take one to work everyday. Its better than what I use to eat.
  • climbamnt
    climbamnt Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I LOVE them! Plus they have a great rewards system! I do them for lunch at work every day! I would love to cook meals ahead of time, but I'm not that organized and I know it! Beats fast food for lunch!
  • climbamnt
    climbamnt Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I just had lunch, ranchero braised beef. I added some green beans and yummy

I bet that would be good, thanks for the tip!