Hi! Nursing mom trying to shed the baby weight :)

Options
Hi! I'm looking to connect with other nursing moms who are trying to lose that stubborn baby weight.

I'm 35 and just had my third child in August 2012. (My other 2 children are teenagers, 13 & 15). I have been exclusively breastfeeding up until a month ago when we started him on solids. I'm 5'3" and 4 years ago I was a size 2 and at 108 lbs. The day before giving birth I was 168 lbs. (yikes!) I was 123 lbs when I got pregnant so I had already put some weight on before getting pregnant. Once I was pregnant I ate absolutely whatever I wanted. I have always had an addiction to sugary carbonated beverages. This has always been my primary weakness. Anyway, from my son's birth in August to November I lost 23 lbs and was at 145 lbs. And there I stayed. Until I got so disgusted with myself at the end of January during a shopping trip to Kohl's for non-maternity clothing. Yes I was still wearing maternity clothing at 5+ months postpartum! Depressing! It hit me when I had to try on SIZE 12 clothes. That was the motivation I needed. I nearly had a meltdown in the fitting room. That's when I decided I had to give up my sodas and most of my sweets. (I've had an insane sweet tooth since my son was born which I attribute to breastfeeding.) Then I found MFP in February and started using it, and I had already lost 2 lbs before I found it. I am currently at 137 so I have lost 8 lbs in almost 8 weeks so about a lb a week is what I'm averaging.

I'm getting married in August and have to fit into a wedding dress by then. I also have to wean my son before then so that is kind of stressing me out. And I am starting to think breastfeeding is keeping me from losing weight faster.

Sorry this is so long! Feel free to friend request me if you are in the same (or a similar) boat. Thanks! :-)

Replies

• Mom2Ryleigh
    Options
    Hey girl I'm with you! I'm also 5'3" wearing a size 8/10 but closer to a 10 and currently 172. I have always been very active and carry a lot of muscle mass so I don't think I look like I weigh as much as I do so I'm more concerned with what size I'm wearing than the number. Goal weight is 130 and last time I weighed that I wore a size 2/4 which is ideal size too. My youngest is 3 months and I'm exclusively breastfeeding her. I'm hungry all the time! I am tracking my calories now and having a rough time staying below 1700 so no idea how many I was eating before! I was losing weight quickly and a few weeks ago was 162 but all the sudden the weight is packing back on and I'm so sad about it. Trying to incorporate exercise in the routine too but having trouble being consistent. I work full time so when baby is with me I nurse and while at work I pump 3 times per day. I'd like to have speedy results but consistent results are of course more important. Hope things are going well---good luck to you!!! Oh and congrats on your wedding!